none
Messaga Analyzer API

Question

• Is there any way to use an API interface for packet capturing with Message Analyzer in the same way it was possible with Network Monitor? I noticed it includes nmapi.dll but you cannot use it directly because it doesn't find any network adapters or frame parsers.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• We have not officially released an API, though it's in our future plans.  NMAPI is there because we leverage it to read cap/pcap files.   If you think you have an interesting project, we could discuss more and perhaps I could gather the scenario so that we make sure and cover it properly when the API is fully developed.

Paul

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:58 PM
  • It would be great if there could be a similar way to capture a specific interface just like with Network Monitor. Am I correct that Windows 8 (or 8.1) has some kind of limitation that you cannot install Network Monitor and the only alternative is to use Message Analyzer? If that's true there could be a possibility to install NMAPI as whole so they could be used side by side?

What features does your unofficial API have?

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:54 AM
  • The API is there but it's organization isn't ideal and they will more than likely change before we finalize them. You can capture and analyze, and in fact we've carefully layered things so that the UI uses only the API for what it needs to do.

You can install Network Monitor and capture on Win8 or Win8.1 now.  There is no limitation and the API should work as well.

For message analyzer we also have a PowerShell interface (http://blogs.technet.com/b/messageanalyzer/archive/2013/10/29/using-powershell-to-automate-tracing.aspx) which you can use to automate capturing if that's what you need.

Paul

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:27 PM
  • The link is not worked now,

"

Group Not Found
    The requested Group cannot be found."
    Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Is there any news about the API? Is there a private/public beta to try it out?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:20 PM