none
Windows 7 64 Bit compatibility issue

Question

• Is there anything inherently different about Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional that would make the behavior of a Visual Studio application that uses VFPOLEDB for Visual Foxpro behave differently under each one?

We are experiencing the widely reported " C
    annot update cursor (filename) since it is read-only" message  when attempting to modify (delete records, insert records) a DBF free table that has a CDX.   This only occurs in Windows 7 Home Premium so its hard for us to reproduce as we operate on Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

We are using VFPOLEDB Version 9, compiling the application with x86 as an option, installing as an Administrator and running in an Administrator level account. All of this is happening in a folder that we create off the route of Drive C, and all files reside within our own folder structure, where the user has modify permissions.

The user is able to bypass the error message and access other tables, but receives a message that says "Index does not match the table. Delete the index file and re-create the index."

Friday, April 08, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

• In this case it tells me : user does not have write rights on folder where tables are placed.

dni
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:36 PM
  • This is a really late reply, but I wanted to pass this on in the event that others experience something similar.

In the end, this had nothing to do with Windows or the Application, although it was as noted above a permissions/rights issue.  Specifically, when working with the user, I discovered that their Virus software (Kaspersky) had flagged all CDX files as dangerous, and changed the permissions accordingly (it made them read only). 

Removing Kaspersky (this is not the first time this app triggered a false positive and interfered with software) solved the problem, and the user decided to choose a different product.  We installed and ran a scan with nothing flagged as suspicious even, let alone dangerous.

The irony in all of this is the CDX is a Visual Foxpro index - one of Microsoft's own products, albeit one that it killed in favor of Access and .Net .

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:34 AM

All replies

• It looks like is not a windows 7 compatibility issues, just check an allow administrator rights for user, for application file and folders. If that "free table" is cursor, when create it, it should have option READWRITE.

dni

Friday, April 08, 2011 1:16 PM
  • When you say Read/Write, do you mean in the NTFS permissions or specifying it in the code that accesses the file?

Here is the code in question.. is there something else that needs to be here.?

'delete from query.dbf
           oReport.deletequery()

oReport.DeleteHoleDAta()

'insert into query.dbf
           oReport.addintoquery(" ")

'******first delete all records from ezfile & gamename
           oReport.deleteall()

If flag1 = False Then
               For k = 0 To lstselectedgames.Items.Count - 1
                   a = lstselectedgames.Items(k)
                   z = cgamenum.SelectOneGame(a)

'************insert record into ezfile, mot_name.dbf
                   'Dim report As New CReport(oCommDataAccess.oFoxConn)
                   oReport.insert(z)
                   '****** insert record into HolesData.dbf
                   oReport.InsertHolesData("plays", z)

Next

'**********insert records into gamename.dbf table
               Dim arrgamename As New ArrayList
               For i = 0 To lstselectedgames.Items.Count - 1
                   gamename1 = Trim(lstselectedgames.Items(i))
                   arrgamename.Add(gamename1)
               Next

'Dim repo As New reportinsert(oDataAccess.con1)
               oReport.addgamename(arrgamename)

'**********insert records into fzone.dbf table
               'Dim fz As New reportinsert(oDataAccess.con1)
               oReport.insertfzone()

'*********for report arrays and checking
               arrreport()

'*********run the r&r exe
               randr()
           End If

End Sub 

Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I just said READWRITE option if you create a cursor in your code. What is query.dbf? For me it looks like is read only...
    dni
    Monday, April 11, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Query.DBF and Query.CDX are two of about 5 files that are used for reporting purposes.  The others like ezfile, dbf, gamename.dbf, gamename.cdx and the others referred to in these insert statements.

What tells you that Query.DBF is Read Only and not Read/Write, if you dont mind me asking? 

I'm not the developer, but trying to help him troubleshoot a problem that he believes he has solved.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:22 AM
  • In this case it tells me : user does not have write rights on folder where tables are placed.

dni
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:36 PM
  • This is a really late reply, but I wanted to pass this on in the event that others experience something similar.

In the end, this had nothing to do with Windows or the Application, although it was as noted above a permissions/rights issue.  Specifically, when working with the user, I discovered that their Virus software (Kaspersky) had flagged all CDX files as dangerous, and changed the permissions accordingly (it made them read only). 

Removing Kaspersky (this is not the first time this app triggered a false positive and interfered with software) solved the problem, and the user decided to choose a different product.  We installed and ran a scan with nothing flagged as suspicious even, let alone dangerous.

The irony in all of this is the CDX is a Visual Foxpro index - one of Microsoft's own products, albeit one that it killed in favor of Access and .Net .

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:34 AM
  • I'm trying to find the irony in all this. I could see it if Kaspersky was a Microsoft product.

Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual C# MVP
    INETA Community Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:55 PM
  • I also failed to see the irony. It is actually a known fact that Kaspersky antivirus (certain versions) had problems with VFP files, that problem was discussed a lot on foxclub.ru forum as I believe Kaspersky is a Russian antivirus program very popular in Russia.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:34 PM