Windows Flip 3D in Windows 8

Question

• I, WindowsVista567, created this post under an account that has since been deleted. If you have any questions about this post, I will respond to them from the "WindowsVista567" account, as I no longer have access to this one. Visit the "WindowsVista567 - old account" profile page for more information.

I have noticed that Windows Flip 3D is completely gone from Windows 8. Whether I am in the regular Start Screen mode or enable the RP hack, Windows Flip 3D does not exist. Is there any chance it will make a return in the beta or RTM?

Flip 3D was one of the big features that brought Windows into the modern era. I like having Flip 3D, not so much as a way of switching between tasks but as a way of handling crashes, as I can often use Flip 3D to regain control of the computer when I am using a crashed program.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for you feed back again mt 325000. Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern. 

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I have not heard anything about Flip 3D and Windows 8.

Consulting Group Policy it seems that it is not supported any more.

• Edited by MCCZ Monday, September 19, 2011 9:48 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:45 PM
  • But, Group Policy template is still there, is not like DWM that has been removed (Obviously because DWM now is a main component of Windows). Maybe can be a kind of Bug or it's simply disable in DP version.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:53 PM
  • It's clearly stated there that the supported version are from Vista to 7 only:

<supportedOn ref="windows:SUPPORTED_Windows7ToVista" />

which in UI is shown as 7, 2008 and Vista.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Why is Flip 3D not supported? Obviously, it wasn't nearly as important as Microsoft claimed it to be when Vista first launched. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't have a place in Windows 8. If Microsoft decides to keep Metro for desktop PC's (I hope they won't), Flip 3D might be the only way of navigating through all of the full-screen applications. I still use it when I have application crashes, as it lets me take control of my computer where I couldn't before.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Why ALT+Tab does not fit you?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Please do not remove Flip 3D. Flip 3D is more useful to me than Alt-Tab because I am visually impaired and the Alt-Tab thumbnail previews are too small for me to make out what app it is. In contrast, Flip 3D previews are much larger so it's easy to make out what window it is switching to.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Use Win+Tab, It's like a full screen Alt+Tab.

It's not flip 3D but I would think this is better for visual impairment (full screen, no overlapping, scaling or perspective stretching)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:56 AM
  • If you noticed, Win+Tab is for switching between the Start screen and the desktop which is considered just one app. It's not for switching between apps running on the desktop which is what Flip 3D did.

• Edited by xpclient Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Win+TAB switches between application on my test machine whereas whole desktop is one application. For example, desktop (whatever running there is treated as one application in this case) - checkm8 - weather - desktop - ...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:39 AM
  • I'm a big fan of Flip 3D too, loosing that and the start menu is a bit of a pain.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I agree. Flip 3D should not be removed.  What I like about it, was that you see a large preview of the applications.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:04 PM
  • I think it is locked in the WDP and willbe back in Beta becasue of this statement in the "Windows and Windows Server Developer Preview Compatibility Cookbook":

With Windows Developer Preview, desktop composition is enabled for all themes. Users of Windows Classic and high contrast themes can use the experiences enabled by desktop composition such as Windows Flip, automatic scaling for high resolution (DPI) scaling, thumbnail previews, and full screen magnifier. In addition, developers don’t need to write and maintain multiple code paths, thereby simplifying development.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Ok, so whe have two sources which contradicts to each other - Group Policy and the Cookbook.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Windows Flip is the name for Alt-Tab given since Vista. Flip 3D was the cool 3D switching. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969540(v=vs.85).aspx. Clearly mentions Flip and Flip 3D as two distinct features. But maybe Flip 3D will be back in the beta.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:19 PM
  • this is the first time I heard Windows Flip = ALT+Tab. Ok, so it seams to be removed. So send a feedback with the tool so that MS includes it in the Beta/RC and final.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Update: I eventually did figure out how to use the feedback tool. In case you were wondering, I am the same person as mt325000. I closed that account because I thought I was done with it, and I wanted to stop posting to the forums. Later, I discovered that I had made a mistake and had to create a new account.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:35 PM
  • For the feedback tool, check this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/85d792b4-56f7-444a-9c59-00c013011e73#db1392ff-7cb2-45ac-9839-93d7e06e893a

You just need to register on Microsoft Connect (http://connect.microsoft.com), pass in the invitation code (or use the link in that thread), download the tool and install it. After you launch it, you will need to provide your Live ID credentials.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Flip 3D needs to make a comeback. Regular Windows Flip is too cumbersome. I LOVE Flip 3D and I would LOVE to see it in Windows 8.
    Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:36 AM
  • I have noticed that Windows Flip 3D is completely gone from Windows 8.

Do you have Touch by N-trig?  They have a suite of gestures in W7 called n-Act which includes Flip 3D plus Flip 3D rotate.    FWIW I'm just learning how to use the gestures on W7 and haven't tried to see yet what happens to them in W8.

Supposedly it is there, ready to do something...   ; )

C:\>tasklist | find /i "ntrig"
    NtrigMultiTouchFramework.
    NtrigOnScreenMenu.exe
    NtrigHookDriver.exe
    NtrigHookDriver_x64.exe

Ref:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w40EPEUOBI

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:46 AM
  • I had never heard of this Touch by N-Trig until you posted this. I have never used Windows on a touch screen.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:34 AM
  • I am not sure how you view your display or displays, but I think that you may find Aero Peek is more helpful than Flip 3D (although Aero Peek previews only one window, not all of them). Another thing that you can try is downloading a copy of XDesk (http://www.xdesksoftware.com/). Do note that I have not tested it on the Windows 8 Developer Preview. Here are a couple of ideas, however:

1. I like when the task switcher falls behind the previewed window. I suggest that this be kept or added (if it isn't already in the Windows 8 Developer Preview). Sometimes it happens on my desktop (which runs Windows 7). Although, I suppose that such a feature may be less beneficial on a tablet PC (at least a slate PC) (which is what I have the Windows 8 Developer Preview installed on).

2. It would be great to see DreamScene again. Perhaps it can be done like the My Pictures Sideshow (whereby it runs on DC power and is paused on battery power), but using videos rather than still pictures. Perhaps they could be different options in the personalization section of Control Panel.

Friday, February 03, 2012 1:35 PM
  • I'm not certain about Aero Peek, but I think Flip 3D may be more useful when dealing with a crashed program. I never use it as a task switcher, but I don't use Alt+Tab, either - it's faster to use the taskbar. I suspect that if I were Alt+Tab user, I would have migrated to Flip 3D when I bought my Vista machine.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I'm not certain about Aero Peek, but I think Flip 3D may be more useful when dealing with a crashed program.

I only use it as a diagnostic, e.g. to see the ordering of the windows to help explain how some are hiding.  

Task switching sure is quirky though.   I was trying to figure out what  Fullscreen effect a previous poster was getting from Win-Tab.   I was in my Desktop "app" at the time and nothing significant was happening, so then I pressed just Win- toggled the Start Screen on and then Win-Tab started performing as claimed.    BTW we also have  Alt-Esc  to play with and try to deduce what it is supposed to be doing.   E.g. sometimes I get a window and sometimes I just get a Taskbar icon selected.   YMMV.

---

Saturday, February 04, 2012 3:58 AM
  • The old Windows Switcher [aka 3D-Flip] still works in the Developers Preview.

It is just that it is currently flattened to 2D.

I use it because it makes Alt-Tab  "sticky" and a mouseover makes the
    mouseovered app pop-up under the 2D switcher. You can get a better/longer look
    at the app that you want  to switch to when using  the Windows 7 Switcher in WDP8.

I just copied the shortcut from my Windows 7 Quick Launch folder to my  WDP desktop and click,
    there it was in all it's 2D glory. So perhaps they will allow 3D in the Consumer Preview.

We'll soon find out.

Cheers
    Windunce

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:35 AM