none
Is there going to be another Teamchallange?

General discussion

• I Was wonderin, Since it was a new year and all..

A spark to start a fire is necessary. But mainly you need dry kindling.

• Changed type litdevModerator Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:00 PM This is a discussion now
    Monday, January 07, 2013 2:32 AM

All replies

• I would probably be up for it... but it is dependent on what the challenge is. If you could think up a good challenge, I might join.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Monday, January 07, 2013 3:26 AM
  • It would be my pleasure to work on something in a group. Anyone post your ideas here and we will vote. No matter if there are no challenges assigned. We can make our own challenge.
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:07 AM
  • I have this idea (I named it Password Book):

We create a program by which one can record all his passwords and ID's of emails, social networks, etc. So its kinda like an address book which I think is very helpful since due to many number of online services people have many accounts, and it actually has happened to me many times that I forget some of my passwords.

The features of the program:

- There are 3 (or more) types of information entered: title, ID, password

- It has an automated search algorithm. For example once you type "A" in the search box, all of the titles which start with "A" will appear.

- It automatically sorts the list in alphabetical order of the titles

- All the information is recorded in a *.txt file, so even after you close the program the information will be still there on your hard drive and can be read by the program again.

It might be far from possibility that we make such a program (It can be done way easier with Visual Studio), but we can make a simpler version instead (which doesn't meet all the criteria above).

Thanks,

Behnam

Monday, January 07, 2013 6:23 AM
  • What about Timo So? (He was kinda our leader) :)

Monday, January 07, 2013 5:37 PM
  • I have this idea (I named it Password Book):

We create a program by which one can record all his passwords and ID's of emails, social networks, etc. So its kinda like an address book which I think is very helpful since due to many number of online services people have many accounts, and it actually has happened to me many times that I forget some of my passwords.

The features of the program:

- There are 3 (or more) types of information entered: title, ID, password

- It has an automated search algorithm. For example once you type "A" in the search box, all of the titles which start with "A" will appear.

- It automatically sorts the list in alphabetical order of the titles

- All the information is recorded in a *.txt file, so even after you close the program the information will be still there on your hard drive and can be read by the program again.

It might be far from possibility that we make such a program (It can be done way easier with Visual Studio), but we can make a simpler version instead (which doesn't meet all the criteria above).

Thanks,

Behnam

I am second to this

This is a great idea. IMO the bolded part will be difficult because there is no equivalent of Listbox control in SB, it can be done using shapes and by any other method of SB though.

I would be happy to work with ya all, I am free this time as my exams are already over.

Merry Xmas!

Monday, January 07, 2013 8:51 PM
  • I have anther idea.

The project work should be divided into small sub project like

• Database
    • GUI Design
    • Sorting
    • Password Encryption
    • Searching Algorithm 
    • Login System

And distribute them to team members. 

Merry Xmas!

Monday, January 07, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Well this is a TeamChallange so we take two teams working on the same type of game, then we see which is better.

Monday, January 07, 2013 10:03 PM
  • So... Any Ideas for which game we should program??

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:59 PM
  • If you guys don't mind I would also like to join. I might not be much help, but I think this would be a great opportunity for me to expand my knowledege of the Small Basic Language.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Sure!!! That would be amazing!!

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Anyone else??

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Made sticky while you set it up
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Thank you!

So...

So far we have

---

CodingLikeCrazy

Amir CPS

Behnam

Cobra355

And Me

---

This is an uneven amount of people. So Unless there is another guy who wants to join, were kinda stuck. Any of U guys know anyone??

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Me!! I will join with this many people willing to do it.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

• Edited by Math Man Friday, January 11, 2013 11:32 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Sweet!!!!

Is there anyone else??

Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:42 AM
  • So we've got

---

CodingLikeCrazy

Amir CPS

Behnam

Cobra355

MathMan

And Me

---

That'll work!!

Now we have to figure out the teams!

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:00 AM
  • I'll be teamed with Amir CPS if he doesn't mind.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:48 AM
  • OK so we've got

T1 Math man

T1 Amir CPS

T1 ?

---------

T2 Zock77

T2 Cobra 355

T2 ?

---------

Coding like crazy and Behnam! Please write in an tell us which team you would like to be in!

Sunday, January 13, 2013 5:18 PM
  • It doesn't really matter which team. But let's say I will go with T2.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:09 PM
  • This is awesome! I hope Timo sees this.

Zock, have you decided on what kind of program you're going to do?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, January 14, 2013 12:19 AM
  • OK so we've got

T1 Math man

T1 Amir CPS

T1 Codinglikecrazy

---------

T2 Zock77

T2 Cobra 355

T2 Behnam

---------

And we have not decided which game we will program. but probably it will be something like a simpler version of liero (See here)

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Please write in and vote for witch game you would like for this challenge

Please also contemplate this: http://www.openlierox.net/

Thanks!

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Also, I recommend getting the approval and email of each person before you start. It seemed a problem last time is some folks didn't know it had started.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:09 AM
  •   @Everyone

I'm so sorry but I am so busy these days , and I am also going to work on another project with mathman. For now I should say I may not be able to work with you on this project... Hopefully I will join you in future programs.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:41 AM
  • I probably can not either. Sorry everyone for such short notice, but I am working with Behnam on a different project.

I am an 11 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:17 AM
  • OK so its

T1 Amir CPS

T1 Codinglikecrazy

---------

T2 Zock77

T2 Cobra 355

---------This should work!!

T1 Please write in when U R ready.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Sorry zock I also have been very busy recently I have a huge thesis coming up and I would hate to get a bad grade maybe if we re-schedule this team challege of if you could find someone to replace me.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Whens your thesis?? can we re-schedule the challange??

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Now that many of us cannot work on this project I have a suggestion for those of you left. You can work on a project together in a team! (like Mathman an me are trying to do)

And then we both groups post our games on the forum at some time and see whose game is  better!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:13 PM
  • We are currently working on a game which probably takes several months to finish.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:14 PM
  • So no team challenge then...

:-/

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:25 PM
  • The purpose of team challenge is to make programs and then compare which group did better. We can still do it but not in one week. How about we set the deadline a few months later? If we wanna make something in smallbasic which stands out, we should spend lot more time than one week. You and AmirCPS or any other people can work together.

How about we set the deadline on April 30th?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:39 PM
  • OK so what are You guys doing??

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:43 PM
  • We are currently working on a strategy kind of game with a lot of features, upgrades, etc.. (we almost haven't done any of those yet)

But you don't necessarily have to work on the same project. Just anything that you like and think is cool.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:09 AM
  • I saw your game. Ammo assault that is. If you would like, Me and cobra 355 could compete with you guys...

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Sure, I would love to see you guys working on another project. By the way, where did you see our game? Did Mathman send them to you?
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Oh, and we should promise to not post the final result until April 30th (as I previously mentioned). So we will have enough time to make a good complete program.
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:06 AM
  • OK I will start.

BTW I saw tha game here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/15668c4f-9f7a-42b3-a977-58a98d9c8dfd

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Hey guys what's going on here?

Merry Xmas!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:36 AM
  • well Coding like crazy, math man and Behnam can't do the challenge. :( so instead we might compete on this game:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ps4vlIyM3odTFKOXl5cUF0OEk/edit?pli=1

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Oh, and no need to mention that you guys should make your own version not just completing the work that we started. And it does not necessarily have to be the same game (As I previously said). YOu can come up with something even better.
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Has the competition started then? Could someone write up what it is in a new thread... 

The topic, about the game, who's involved, deadline, etc.? I'll make that sticky as a new thread on this topic.

Then I'll turn that content you write into a blog post and link back to the discussion thread.

Thanks!

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:31 AM
  • HI, sorry for the delay

Mathman and me started the game and made good developments but we have left down working on it for a while. The answer is yes. I appreciate the other group to work on another project although we are not sure how long we will go cuz I am so busy these days and may not be able to work on it much more.

I set the deadline on April 30th. But if the other group doesn't wanna compete with us we might post an incomplete version of the game on smallbasic website.

Thenks,

Behnam

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:33 PM