Question

• Operating System:       Windows Vista Home Premium

Computer:                     Compaq Presario SR5079UK
                                              2 gb RAM

Problem:  "Windows Update; Error Code 8000FFFF"
       "Unable to uninstall update KB929777"

Solutions Tried:

Disable all Antivirus software
    Try running windows updates, and receive the error message "Error Code 8000FFFF"
    I have been advised to uninstall update KB929777, when trying to do this I receive a further error
    "An error occurred, not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled"

I have also tried the above whilst running Windows in safe mode and the same errors are received.

Also tried the following:

Disable all Antivirus software
    At command prompt; Net Stop WuAuServ
    Rename "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"     to     "C:\Windows\sdold"
    Try installing download update "KB929777" - Unable to install
    At command prompt; Net Start WuAuServ
    Try running windows updates and, still receive the "Error Code 8000FFFF"

I have also tried the above in safe mode, however the service "WuAuServ" does not run in safe mode,
    tried installing the update "KB929777" and receive the error "Installer encountered an error: Ox8007043c. This service cannot be stared in Safe Mode"

I have also tried the following:
    Removing 1gb of RAM, Re-installing a previous Restore Point, Re-installing Windows, to which the error
    is still received.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:30 AM

All replies

• Exactly the same issue.

I tried to reinstall Vista with 2go, run all the updates, then when I reinstall 2go more, the update is asked then fail.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Same error, repeatedly, on a new Dell Precision 390 with 4GB (2x2GB) memory.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:07 PM
  • note your error code and visit this excellent Microsoft Resource : Windows Update Support: Error Codes. Search for the solution against your error Code.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:55 PM
  • I had the same problem. The problem for me was that I have an auto-updater using Windows Live OneCare and Windows Defender. It does the updating in the background so to speak. There is a registry setting that tells the system that you auto-update and won't allow manual updates.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Where is the registery entry?  I looked for it and couldn't figure out how it needed to be changed.  I've been have this same failed error for weeks now.  Nothing has helped.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:54 PM
  • Fixed for me :

1-Remove 2 Go of memory
    2-Reinstall vista
    3-dowload and install KB929777 through http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=240AC3F3-2B60-4B70-B709-06B2BC5B1336&displaylang=en
    4-install KB929777
    5-reboot
    6-Reinstall all the memory
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:02 PM
  • As a consumer, one should not have to do something like this. Even if you know how to do it. Think of those that don't know how to do that. Regardless of how much ram is installed the updates should work, if not they need to be corrected.
    Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:20 AM
  • a little program called wuapp.exe located in the system32 folder. try running it. it is the utility that does the updating thru windows.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:06 AM
  • I agree my computer shouldnt come with errors that I am suppose to fix.  Is this a great selling gimmik or what.  "New windows vista complete with problem you have to try and fix yourself"  I get the message "Windows cannot look for updates." 8000ffff.  Is this a problem not being addressed by Microsoft.  Has anyone been able to get any updates up to this point???  I just sat on the phone for 55 minutes with tech support and all I got was "I dont know what else to tell you, I cant fix it"  Well I know a heck of a lot less about computers then the tech guys so if they cant fix it then I sure cant even begin to try and fix it.  Is there really no fix in sight up to this point.  Thinking twice about my PC choice and my operating system choice.  If the system doesnt work 100% pull it from the market and fix the problems,  Us as consumers cant be expected to find out how to fix the problem Microsoft continues to have, I know I am not getting paid to trouble shoot for them.  Does anyone from Microsoft talk on this forum and offer suggestions??   Very frustrated!!

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Exact same problem.

Dear Microsoft support,

PLEASE HELP!

Monday, August 20, 2007 3:35 PM
  •  

HELP! I know nothing about computers and I don't know what to do...
    • Proposed as answer by apelistra Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:03 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2007 4:10 PM
  • reinstall vista okay maybe but remove my memory now that's just too much I had enough time getting it put in in the first place! There's gotta be a better way

r r
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:30 PM
  • I just returned from 3 months in the middle-east and now I'm getting the error code 8000FFFF in Windows Update.  There is no other way to update Windows Vista!  How can I get the critical security updates?  I tried uninstalling KB929777 as recommended in one forum I found via Google, but I was not able to uninstall it.  This problem doesn't seem widely known.  If Windows Update isn't working, how is Microsoft going to fix this???

Jim W.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Here's what kills me: update KB929777 is described on the microsoft website as a fix for computers running vista with 3GB or more of RAM. WHY IS IT BEING INSTALLED ON MY 2GB SYSTEM?!?!
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

This work for me, open Internet Explorer and go to tools on rigth corner of the screen and choose  internet options, then select connections on the menu and look for LAN settingss and click it. then select the automatically detect settings,click Ok and restart the system and try it again.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:08 PM
  • Hi guys, seems like a recurring problem here. The fault is registry based and there's a simple solution to this one, it works for both 32 & 64 bit OSs. When you have tried to install this update restart and you'll be confronted with WU (Windows Update) saying an installation failed and it will allow you to a) try again or b) install - do neither! First click your start menu and look to see if the red shut down button has a ! on a shield - this means "shutdown & install" updates. if it doesn't show this click option a or b above until it does. Go to "Programs & Features" and click "View Installed Updates" (top left of dialogue box) - you then get a long list of KB?????? files, scroll down until you come accross the KB929777 update (i know! it must be installed if it's in the list! this is where the problem lies!) and highlight it and click "uninstall" - this process usually takes 30-60 seconds. when you get the confirmation box saying it is complete, go to the start menu and click the shutdown button with the !on a shield. Restart the system and try installing the update normally through WU utility!

Hope this works for everyone, i haven't found a machine it doesn't work on yet!

• Proposed as answer by bleedingwolf Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:19 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:26 AM
  • Simple Solution,

Unfortunately your solution does not work on my computer in several ways.  1) KB929777 is listed but when I try to uninstall it I get an error message that reads, "An error has occurred.  Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."  Shutting down and restarting has had mixed results.  After changing my Windows Update options to automatically install updates, and after removing 1GB of RAM (I saw in a previous message this had to do with a RAM problem) I got the shield on the shutdown button.  I clicked it and 11 MS Office 2007 updates were installed.  I was optimistic.  I did not see the shield the next few times I shut down.  But when I did, I shut it down and when it was finished started it up again to see which update was installed.  No update was installed.  Instead the "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)" failed to install.  That was a couple of days ago and I haven't seen the shield on the shutdown button again.

I found a site that links to the MS IT page to individually download updates.  I downloaded all of the updates since I left for the desert but none would install.  I live overseas so contacting Dell is for support is a royal pain in the rear end.  Besides, they'll just tell me to restore the computer to it's original install.  I am trying to avoid that because I have put a lot of work into this computer since purchasing it in April.  If you have any other suggestions, or if anyone does, I'd be glad to try them.  Thanks,

Jim W.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Juytin but changing the LAN settings to auto did not solve my problem.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:39 PM
  •  

Operating System:       Windows Vista Ultimate

Computer:                   Dell Latitude D820
                                              2 gb RAM

Problem:  "Windows could not search for new updates (Error code 8000FFFF)"

the only update that is in update history is Windows Update software 7.0.6000.381

but when i go to uninstall updates there is nothing there.

this is a brand new installation of vista and this is the first time that ive tried to update it.

i tried changing the LAN settings to auto and that did not work...

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:05 PM
  • is this mainly a dell problem? it seems like that is the case. also i only have 2 gigs of memory so y am i getting this error. auto detect did squat as it was the default setting
    Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:41 PM
  • I agree completely as a newby myself I have no idea how to complete some of the supposed remedies I have read lately. If i had wanted a job at microsoft I would have trained for one. Anyway all I wanted to add to the growing noise over 8000FFFF is that until I upgraded from home basic to home premium (with microsofts full approval and dare I say it recommendation) auto-updates worked like a dream.

My setup is toshiba L30 with all latest drivers possible and 2Gb Ram I think my video card ATI Radeon 200M is

possibly a weak link but then I found out too late you cant replace or upgrade onboard graphics. Yours- hanging on in quiet desperation woodgnome.ps I cant even work out how to get my new media player to stop jittering when i try to play anything it just shouts driver D300 stopped working and recovered.

woodgnome
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Precisely, I am absolutely agree with this comment.  Somebody got to do something about it.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:39 AM
  •  

To resolve Windows Update error 8000FFFF, try the following steps:

1) Launch REGEDIT

2) Go into HKLM\COMPONENTS, and check if these three values exist under the COMPONENTS key:

PendingXmldentifier
      NextQueueEntryIndex
      AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

3) Providing they do exist, back up the Components key, then delete the three above values.
    4) Restart the computer, and Windows Update should now be working fine.

If "HKLM\COMPONENTS" isn't there, then use the FIND tool and search for each of the three values individualy. I deleted two of them and couldn't find the third (actually NextQueueEntryIndex)

and PendingXmldentifier is actually PendingXmlIdentifier.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Guys,I had this same problem for a week now.My way of hoping to fix it,was thinking,if I just kept on re-installing windows.Hopefully it well go away.But it did'nt,I came across this forum which instructed me to delete the failed update,in the registery.Just double click on." COMPUTERS" Then,DOUBLE CLICK ON "C DRIVE.Double Click on the folder WINDOWS,then Double click SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION.Now delete all these files in SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION.AND restart your computer.And search for updates again.But this time,Choos for microsoft to let you choose which updates to download.then only try download 5 at a time,Mainly the recomended and important updates first.I am Workinf On A DELL XPS 2.2GHz T7500 With 4GBram and 160GB 7200rpm Hard Drive,If this helps

Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Sadly I think this is the plan after removing 2 gigs of memory and reinstalling windows and running windows update before Installing Norton's Antivirus and the 2 gigs of RAM it works fine I have not yet installed step #3 I will add it to the list to be safe though.

Will let everybody know how it goes after 7. Reinstall Antivirus Software

Monday, October 08, 2007 5:45 PM
  •  

made it sucessfully to 6 no problems getting ready to do 7 and then check
    Friday, October 19, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried what you have suggested and stil no windows update, I have spoken to Microsoft Support and they have been through this and many other possible solutions but to date (about 4 weeks) no solutions, I have reinstalled vista and still windows update will not run... now I get an error each time i turn my computer on - Windows Update can not start, it then slow my internet down trying to send error reports to microsoft - more than 200MB per day I delete.

Please help Smile

thanks

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:50 AM
  • Hey all.  This solution worked perfectly on my Dell 2010 with 4 GB RAM.  Had to touch no hardware at all.

Here is the answer to your problems. Go to your control panel under **add and remove programs** [Vista is Programs and Features, click "View Installed Updates" on Left] you will see a hot fix for  kb929777. Uninstall this hot fix. Windows will tell you to reboot, do it. Download the kb929777 for the windows website not the auto update site, (if you do it will install the hot fix first before the kb929777 and then kb929777 will not install again). After successful update you will need to reboot. check for updates( there should be none and your history should show successful update on the kb929777. I also took out 3 gb of mem. before I did this but before it would still not download until I removed the hot fix, so I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE MEM. FIRST. But try it with the mem. in first and it may save you a step.

Michael Snyder

Good Luck!

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Try this I found it on another cast

Thanks for the link to support - after a few tries the following worked:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Click on Start and in the Search box type in regedit.
    > > >
    > > > 2. A new program will be listed in the same window. Now right click the
    > > > regedit program and then select the option run as administrator.
    > > >
    > > > 3. Now go into HKLM\COMPONENTS and check if these three values exist under
    > > > the   COMPONENTS key:
    > > >
    > > >   PendingXmldentifier
    > > >   NextQueueEntryIndex
    > > >   AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    > > >
    > > > 5. Providing they do exist, then delete the three above values.
    > > >
    > > > 6. Restart the computer, and Windows Update should now be working fine.
    > > >
    > > > T2
    >
    >
    > "Kian - 8000FFF" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Paul
    > >
    > > I have the same problem, I'm seriously chasing this up, as soon as I could
    > > solve this then will let you know the solution.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Paul" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've recently been receiving the following error message in Vista:
    > > >
    > > > Windows could not search for updates:
    > > >
    > > > Error code found 8000FFF
    > > >
    > > > I've disabled all firewalls and still get this message.  I have disabled all
    > > > spyware as well.  I can't think of what the problem could be.  Can someone
    > > > help?  Thanks.
    > > >
    Friday, December 07, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Good Day Simple Solution:

I have encountered Windows Update KB929777 and Error Code 8000FFFF, and they have proved to be quite the "hemorrhoid" today!!

I began my research on the Microsoft WebSites and stumbled across your writing on the malady.

I followed your instructions and avoided suggestions a) and b) as you stated.  I did not change my LAN settings.  I did not remove any memory--have 4 Gb.  KB929777 updated without any further complications.

Thanks for the use of your expertise and for sharing your experience.

Hoov

Sunday, December 09, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Just done what you have told us to do and it is working perfectly now thanks  : )

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=556997&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:52 PM
  • >>Hi guys, seems like a recurring problem here. The fault is registry based and there's a simple solution to this one, it

>>works for both 32 & 64 bit OSs. When you have tried to install this update restart and you'll be confronted with WU

>>(Windows Update) saying an installation failed and it will allow you to a) try again or b) install - do neither! First click your

>>start menu and look to see if the red shut down button has a ! on a shield - this means "shutdown & install" updates.

>>if it doesn't show this click option a or b above until it does. Go to "Programs & Features" and click "View Installed

>>Updates" (top left of dialogue box) - you then get a long list of KB?????? files, scroll down until you come accross the

>>KB929777 update (i know! it must be installed if it's in the list! this is where the problem lies!) and highlight it and click

>>"uninstall" - this process usually takes 30-60 seconds. when you get the confirmation box saying it is complete, go to

>>the start menu and click the shutdown button with the !on a shield. Restart the system and try installing the update

>>normally through WU utility!

Suprisingly, this post from SimpleSolution worked for me.  Follow the instructions exactly as listed.  The key is to run the Windows Update, do the install and let it fail.  Then go find the KB929777 in the list of installed updates and uninstall it.  Then reboot.   Go back into Windows Update and all will appear fine.  Run the "Check for Updates" again and it will come back and tell you KB929777 needs to be installed, run the install and this time it will work.  Reboot and it will successfully apply it.  From then on you're ok.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Operating System:       Windows Vista Business

Computer:                   Dell Precisio M65 

Processor:                  Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:                     4 GB

Hard Drive:                 80 GB

Problem:  "Windows Update; Error Code 8000FFFF"
       "Unable to uninstall update KB929777"

Try running windows updates, and receive the error message "Error Code 8000FFFF"

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Uninstalling and then using Windows Update to install worked just fine.

Selected >Windows Update>View Update History>Installed Updates and then uninstalled KB929777

I was then prompted to restart

After restart

Selected Windows Update and installed KB929777, prompted to restart and after this restart the update was successfully installed.

Thankyou!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:04 AM
  •  stndrd wrote:

Uninstalling and then using Windows Update to install worked just fine.

Selected >Windows Update>View Update History>Installed Updates and then uninstalled KB929777

I was then prompted to restart

After restart

Selected Windows Update and installed KB929777, prompted to restart and after this restart the update was successfully installed.

+1.... this worked for me too.

I have 4 gigs of ram, and I didnt' touch it, nor did I touch the registry or LAN settings.  Just follow the above quoted instructions.  You'll be fine.  If it doesn't work, then you don't have the same problem.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Post from SimpleSolution worked for me!   (SIMPLE)

T H A N K S ...........................

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:13 AM
  •  

I am so cross about this..

Why does it say error 8000ffff , i have tried everythng to fix this problem.

Windows update wont install any updates, im tired of trying to fix things on Windows vista.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Finally - a solution to this god foresaken error.  I have searce for weeks to oromethis.  Tried what MS suggests by removing memory, tried the registry changes, tried stopping WuAuServ, and more.  This worked - without removing memory.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:39 PM
  • after getting this error and speaking with a co-worker that had, had this problem i was able to resolve this issue. 

about mine

Dell D630 4GB ram

dual boot ubuntu 7.10/Vista ultimate 32 bit

80 GB hard disk 3 partitions

step one

shut down, and remove all power (battery and all)

step two

remove ram down to 2 gb or less

step three

plug in, boot, and uninstall failed update - reboot

step four

after reboot install the update - shutdown

step five

remove all power, and install ram

step six

apply power, boot, and enjoy

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I came aross a much easier solution that worked successfully for me.  Run regedit as administrator, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS, delete the AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving key, and restart Windows.  No more problems with Windows Update.  It ran successfully and installed 23 updates for me.

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:56 AM
  •  

Hi,

Even I am facing the same error message. I dont find the solutions on any of the website. Even HP support doesnt have the solution for the same error message. This is very frustrating to see the same error message in the update history.

Please let me know if anyone found the solution for Code 8000FFFF.

Thanks,

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:02 PM

• I could fix this issue. Please see the following site.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=59002c60-859d-4d65-850b-690f90132184&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
    Friday, March 07, 2008 10:42 AM
  • This worked for me without touching the ram as well - laptop was left as is with 4 gigs of ram , followed this and it worked great, thanks a million.

Reebs wrote:

Here is the answer to your problems. Go to your control panel under **add and remove programs** [Vista is Programs and Features, click "View Installed Updates" on Left] you will see a hot fix for  kb929777. Uninstall this hot fix. Windows will tell you to reboot, do it. Download the kb929777 for the windows website not the auto update site, (if you do it will install the hot fix first before the kb929777 and then kb929777 will not install again). After successful update you will need to reboot. check for updates( there should be none and your history should show successful update on the kb929777. I also took out 3 gb of mem. before I did this but before it would still not download until I removed the hot fix, so I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE MEM. FIRST. But try it with the mem. in first and it may save you a step.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I am having this issue with a Dell Latitude D830. Funny thing is, this machine only has 2GB of Ram. I'm not even sure why the KB929777 Hot Fix is even on there to begin with. But, it is... and unfortunately, it is screwing up a TON of stuff.

I have tried EVERY fix I could find anywhere, and it still won't work. I am unable to remove the Hot Fix, I get the same message reported by others - Some updates could not be removed. VERY DESCRIPTIVE - Microsoft.

This is *really* starting to anger me. I have spent about 6 hours on this already, and I am NOWHERE.

I even tried to manually install Service Pack 1. NO GO. This problem keeps that from running.

MICROSOFT - YOU NEED TO FIX THIS - NOW. It's obvious you have a problem that is bigger than one or two machines out there.

MAYBE I NEED TO JUST BUY ALL MACS.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Hey all. This worked first time for me.

Here is the answer to your problems. Go to your control panel under **add and remove programs** [Vista is Programs and Features, click "View Installed Updates" on Left] you will see a hot fix for  kb929777. Uninstall this hot fix. Windows will tell you to reboot, do it. Download the kb929777 for the windows website not the auto update site, (if you do it will install the hot fix first before the kb929777 and then kb929777 will not install again). After successful update you will need to reboot. check for updates( there should be none and your history should show successful update on the kb929777.

Thanks Snyder.

I have a Dell XPS M1330 with 4 gig of RAM running Vista Ultimate.

Speedy.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Same story with me.Error 8000FFFF for update KB929777.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:50 AM
  • I could not find a single response on how to fix the problem on the MS site.  I am glad I kept looking because I found your Simple Solution.  I agree that it is a shame that MS is using expert home users to solve the Vista problems rather than admit there are problems and fixing it.

Thanks for helping me out.

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Hola

Follow this link for the solution:

scroll down to Fix error code 8000ffff...  The second option they give worked for me in Vista.

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/fix-error-code-8000ffff-and-error-code-8024d00f/
    Monday, December 01, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Hi I tried your suggestion about uninstalling KB929777 to fix windows vista error 8000FFFF [ unable to get windows updates]  I got message ..error not all updates were successfully uninstalled...have any suggestions? Thanks ...Happy New Year
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:35 AM
  • 8000FFFF is not a Dell problem have it on Gateway also
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Ok guys looks like im the odd man out i have a Toshiba Satellite Series that i bought Christmas 2007. So ecery one seems to have  dells here but anyone i got any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:26 AM
  • McQDOGG, thanks for the post.  This fixed my problem.  I also stopped the Windows Update service.  Renamed c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.  And recreated SoftwareDistribution folder.  Started with clean slate.  Once this problem is resolved, I was able to install Office 2007.  Before that, installation failed.  I could not even download standalone KB and install it on my PC.  The original problem started with the message below! 

Product: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x8007054F. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, assembly name: Microsoft.VC80.ATL,version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",processorArchitecture="x86"

Monday, February 16, 2009 2:54 PM
  • SimpleSolution,

This one wprked for me after weeks of searching for a solution. Simple, easy to follow for all levels of user.
    My head almost exploded following the Microsoft solution. Thanks again.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:26 AM
  • I think the following microsoft KB can solve your problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:15 AM
  • I had the same problem, I had been downloading all my updates (using the automatic setting) with no problem. All of a sudden I noticed in my download history, that 5 updates were tryning to be downloaded every day with it failing at least 20 times, so I knew something was wrong. So tghe first this I deid was reset from automatic to "notify me before install" feature to stop getting the failewd downloads added to my history.

I too tried everything I could think of, (in my limited capacity), but could find no solution. Even tried to restore to an earlier restore point, also no work.

So I opened up a problem with Microsoft support, I have worked with them for two weeks and 20 emails, they keep shoving me up to a more experienced technician, I am now on my 3rd Tech. I have followed all instructions from all the techs to the letter with no success. I told her that I didn't underestand why a multi billion dollar Corp like Microsoft couldn't solve what appears to be a minor problem in their own product.

They suggested that I use the Vista CD that came with my CPU, and click on the repair part when it comes up. I did that it took about an hour and a half, after which it said that it failed because the computer I'm using was not compatible with Vista Home Premium. Vista Home premium came already installed on my computer when I bought it.

They are now telling me that I need to use the Vista Disc and do a complete restore of my computer back to when I bought it.  This entails some pretty technical things that you have to do, I am an amateur on the computer and hesitate to try complicated technical things to this computer, because one thing I've learned that if you don't know what your doing and do the wrong thing, hit the wrong button, etc, you can really screw things up.

Hows that for top notch microsoft support!!!
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Hi guys, seems like a recurring problem here. The fault is registry based and there's a simple solution to this one, it works for both 32 & 64 bit OSs. When you have tried to install this update restart and you'll be confronted with WU (Windows Update) saying an installation failed and it will allow you to a) try again or b) install - do neither! First click your start menu and look to see if the red shut down button has a ! on a shield - this means "shutdown & install" updates. if it doesn't show this click option a or b above until it does. Go to "Programs & Features" and click "View Installed Updates" (top left of dialogue box) - you then get a long list of KB?????? files, scroll down until you come accross the KB929777 update (i know! it must be installed if it's in the list! this is where the problem lies!) and highlight it and click "uninstall" - this process usually takes 30-60 seconds. when you get the confirmation box saying it is complete, go to the start menu and click the shutdown button with the !on a shield. Restart the system and try installing the update normally through WU utility!

Hope this works for everyone, i haven't found a machine it doesn't work on yet!

Worked like a charm!!
    • Proposed as answer by jaydin Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:25 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Just did this.  Took two minutes

The following error code 8000FFFF is displayed when you try to update your Windows Vista computer.

Windows could not search for new update.

Error(s)found:Code 8000FFFFAdditionally, error code 8024D00F with the following details is added to the update history: Installation status: FailedError Details: Code: 8024D00FUpdate Type: ImportantThe following two problems are known to generate these error codes:

• The Windows Update Temporary folder on your Windows Vista computer is corrupt.
    • Some keys in the Windows Vista registry are corrupt.

Therefore, to resolve the problem, you need to rename the Windows Update Software distribution and remove the incorrect COMPONENTS key from the Windows Vista registry.

To rename the Windows Update Software distribution folder, perform the following steps:

1. Exit all Windows open on your Vista computer.
    2. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    3. Right-click the Command Prompt option and then select Run as Administrator from the right-click menu.
    4. Type the following command in the Administrator: Command Prompt window and then press Enter.
    5. net stop WuAuServ

Note: View the Command Prompt messages to ensure that the service stops successfully.

6. Next, click Start, select Start Search, type %windir% and then press Enter.
    7. In the folder that opens, search for the Software Distributionfolder.
    8. Rename the folder to Software Distribution Old.
    9. Go back to the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following command and then press Enter.
    10. net start WuAuServ

Note: View the command prompt messages to ensure that the service starts successfully.

11. Check the Windows Update Web site to see if you can update your Vista computer now. The Windows Update Software distribution folder is created again when the update starts.

If you still encounter the error messages, perform the following steps to remove incorrect COMPONENTS key from the Windows Vista registry.

1. Click the Start button, in the Start Search bar, type Regeditand then press Enter.
    2. In the Registry Editor window, open File menu and the selectExport.
    3. In the Export range section, select All Export, select a folder to save the exported backup file, provide a name to the registry file in the File name box, and then click the Savebutton.
    4. Note: This exported registry file can be restored to the registry by double-clicking on it. Exporting the registry is an essential step because the registry is an important component of your Windows Vista computer and any incorrect modifications to it can leave your PC unusable. You may also use a reliable registry cleaner tool to make a backup of the registry.

5. Next, in the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following registry key:
    6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS

7. Check if the following three values are their in theCOMPONENTS key.

• PendingXmldentifier
      • NextQueueEntryIndex
      • AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
      •  

8. If you find one or all of the these values delete them.
    9. Exit Registry Editor, restart Windows Vista and try to update it once again.

Error code 8000FFFF and Error code 8024D00F may also generate during Windows update if:

• The required Windows Update services stop working on your computer.
    • There is a problem with the Windows Update Agent.
    • A third-party program, such as Internet or Web accelerators, antispyware/antivirus programs, and firewalls are running on your computer.

To ensure that the required services are running, perform the following steps:

1. In the Start Search box in Start menu, type services.mscand then press Enter.
    2. In the Services window, ensure that the following services are running:
      • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
      • Windows Event Log
      • Windows Update
    3. In case any of these services have not started, start it.

If the Windows Update Agent is not working, download and install the agent on your computer again.

Save the file in an easy to locate folder on your computer. Consider that you saved the downloaded file in the root of D drive, then to install the package, you should do the following:

1. Open Start menu and select Run.
    2. Type the following command and then press Enter.

D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Or

D:\ WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe /wuforce

The Windows Update Agent will now install on your computer.

Finally, if you have any third-party program such as Internet or Web accelerators, antispyware or antivirus programs, and firewalls running on your computer, temporarily disable them before updating your computer.

Note: Remember to re-enable the disabled services after the update is installed on your system.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:26 AM

• Here is more help for the Error 8000ffff

http://www.instantvista.com/8000ffff.html

Kind Regards

Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Yes! worked perfectly! Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:41 PM
  • HI Simple Solution,

WORKED FOR ME, Thanks for the easy to follow fix. It sure as ____ beats all the tech babble spouted out in other solutions elswhere on Microsofts site  
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I had same problem after re-installing vista. I tried the suggestions above but had no list in the downloaded updates (was empty). I went to Microsoft website to try and install from there, it had me install an update installer. Problem fixed, took about 30 seconds to download. Am installing all updates on that pc right now. Maybe this can be a simple fix for someone else.  

But now I have a new problem it wont finish installing because now I have a message that says Winsows Modules installer stopped working and was closed. I think I just might through this pc in the street and let semi run over it.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:36 PM
  • So...you did a memory upgrade and suddenly a new update (KB929777)
    appears. You try too install it...again and again..it fails with ERROR CODE
    8000FFFF. Here is the fix....put away the screwdriver and forget about taking
    out the modules.
    Go to Control Panel(classic view), Windows Update, Review Update
    History,click on installed updates(blue text at the top), Find (KB929777),
    right click and uninstall it. Reboot the computer. After re-start go to
    Control Panel, Check For Updates, (KB929777) should be there...if
    not...download it from Microsoft Updates and save it to desktop. Download and
    install (KB929777). Re-boot and your life is back to normal and you will
    never have another bad day!
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Mcain Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Disable all Antivirus software
    At command prompt; Net Stop WuAuServ
    Rename "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" to "C:\Windows\sdold"
    Try installing download update "KB929777" - Unable to install
    At command prompt; Net Start WuAuServ
    Try running windows updates and, still receive the "Error Code 8000FFFF"
    Friday, July 16, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Thanks Simple Solution. Your solution worked for me. Was just about to pull 2Gb and reinstall! Thanks again. Glenn
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:39 PM
  • "http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasecurity/thread/65ed265d-a3e0-4271-9890-b7297795ac51". Typing the stop error code in the search box here at the technet returned five results for answered questions on the error. I pasted the first of the five links into this answer. Hopefully it or one of the other answered issues will address your particular concern. Thank-you !
    "http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx ". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Try running windows updates now by going to control panel.Your system will get updated and I think your system could have been running well by now.Its 2011.Windows vista is robust system software due to its enhanced security features then windows XP.
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Michael Snyder:

Your suggestion EXACTLY did it for me.   I have 4GB of RAM in this box.  It's a Dell XPS m1710.  I changed NO hardware, I only uninstalled the Hot Fix that you mentioned.   Perfect !    Thanks !!

Jim Basler

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:37 PM