none
How to make your application appear in the Start Menu?

Question

• I'd like to make my application available to the Start Menu. How can i do so? Do i have to program it somewhere? Is it related to the MSI package?

Really clueless here ... :(

Thanks,
    Friday, March 17, 2006 2:31 AM

Answers

• There are a limited number of items that can be on the start menu - you may need to remove some to make room.

You can do this in system -> menus.

I use

[Shortcuts]
    AppName,0,AppName.exe,%CE17%

in my inf file for the cab and it works.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:29 PM

All replies

• No, it's not related to MSI unless you want something in start menu on desktop.

To make your application appear in a start menu on device, simply create shortcut to your application and put it to the start menu folder. You can do so in the CAB file project.

Friday, March 17, 2006 4:38 AM
  • hey Ilya

You know i did, and it didn't work. The application is not available in the start menu.

I even change the .inf file and put %CE17% for the start menu.

The funny thing is that for the other system folder it works ... games folder, program folder, etc.

The icon is there .. but for the start folder ... it's not ...

Help??

Thanks!
    Friday, March 17, 2006 5:20 PM
  • I think it should be %CE11%.

I would suggest moving shortcut manually to various folder until its in the right place and then changing the CAB to use that folder.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:06 PM
  • u know i exactly did that .. i added all the folders and created a shortcut for every folder .. and guess what .. it doesn't appear.

I invite you to try it and test it, i'm sure you'll have the same problem as me.

%CE11% is the directory of the Program folder.

here are the windows CE directory identifiers :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_evtuv/html/etgrfwindowscedirectoryidentifiers.asp
    Friday, March 17, 2006 6:18 PM
  • There are a limited number of items that can be on the start menu - you may need to remove some to make room.

You can do this in system -> menus.

I use

[Shortcuts]
    AppName,0,AppName.exe,%CE17%

in my inf file for the cab and it works.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:29 PM
  • Thanks,

I removed all the shortcut in the start menu and installed my app with %CE17% and it worked perfectly !

Thanks guys! it was due to start menu having a limited number of shortcut available to the user!

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:33 PM