none
Ad Control Update

Question

•  

Hi Everyone,

Today, we released an updated version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone to address some stability issues that have been reported.   We strongly recommend you download the latest version and deploy an update to your application.

To Avoid Issues:

1. BEFORE INSTALLING, please UNINSTALL previous version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone.  Then, INSTALL the latest version.
    2. Make sure you specify the height and width explicitly when instantiating the control in the code-behind. E.g.

AdControl adcontrol = new AdControl("test_client", "Image480_80", true);

adControl.Width = 480;

adControl.Height = 80;

Thank you for using Microsoft Advertising solution.  If you need more information, please reply with questions to this thread or send an email to psupport@microsoft.com.

Sincerely,
    The Microsoft Advertising Team

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• Are the improvements for XNA, Silverlight, or both?

Thanks

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I installed the new version, and now the app does not show ads (I've been using the previous versions with no problems so far). Is it working correctly?

What are the improvements in this new version?:

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:18 PM
  • I was not seeing any impressions in my games since yesterday. I downloaded the new sdk and updated my stuff. looks like Ad control keeps crashing
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I am using the old adControl. Today 11/11/2011, the controls are working until 2pm when they started to don,t show the messages. Is it releted to the update. Any idea please. Thanks

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Without having code samples/XAP's, we cannot be sure of the cause for the issues you are experiencing. However, we can offer you the following suggestions regarding potential cause: 1. Crashes could occur if you installed this update over a pre-5.2.0.xxx build, as they are not compatible side by side. 2. If you upgraded from a beta-version of the 5.2.0.xxx AdControl AND you were instantiating the AdControl in the code-behind without setting the width and height explicitly you will see no ads. We previously had a hard-coded default height and width but this was inconsistent with Silverlight/WPF controls which do not have defaults for height and width when instantiated in the code behind. If neither of these scenarios are applicable to your installation of the update, please send an email with the description of your issue and code samples/XAP's of your application to our support team at psupport@microsoft.com. We would be happy to investigate further for you. Thanks! Dawn
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:59 PM
  • I am experiencing that same exact issue. I was using 5.2 and about 2 am EST Nov 12th ads were no longer being served. I updated to 5.2.1027.0 and it still gives me the same error (as does all example code I have downloaded to make sure it was not my code): A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.dll Ad error: HTTP error status code: NotFound (404) I am using XNA not Silverlight/WPF and I made sure I uninstalled the previous version before updating to 5.2.1027.0. This is not an issue with the code, it was working fine (the code has not been modified at all) until whatever update occured.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Hi Jeff, We'd be happy to take a look at this issue for you. Have you emailed this summary along with your code samples/XAP into psupport@microsoft.com? If you haven't already, please do so and we will work with you to resolve the issues you are experiencing. When writing into us, it would be helpful if you will include where you are located. Thank you, Dawn
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply. After logging everything I have found that if I create an Ad and use the Application ID and Ad Unit ID it will work fine. If I use "test_client" for the Application ID and "Image480_80" for the Ad Unit ID it fails with the previous error posted. I have not seen any documentation that calls for changing the default test values. I would prefer to continue to use the testing values versus putting in live Ads since my app is still about a week or two away from submission.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Not sure to chalk this up as great service or complete coincidence but 10 minutes after my last post the test ads began to work again. Issue resolved - Thank You
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I've just had this error happening to me this weekend - has been working fine before using the exact same call first described above. 'UI Task' (Managed): Loaded 'System.SR.dll' A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.dll +++ [Advert] AdvertMicrosoft_Error entered <>c__DisplayClassa. at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.WaitCallback_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o)\r\n at System.Threading.Timer.ring()
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Sorry the 2nd half got garbled. Error in call back was "HTTP error status code: NotFound (404)" and the stack was StackTrace = at System.Net.Browser.AsyncHelper.BeginOnUI(SendOrPostCallback beginMethod, Object state) at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.Shared.HttpRequest.EndGetResponse(I... at System.Net.Browser.AsyncHelper.BeginOnUI(SendOrPostCallback beginMethod, Object state) at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.Shared.HttpRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.Shared.WebRequestWrapper.WebRespCallback(IAsyncResult result) at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.<>c__DisplayClassa. at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.WaitCallback_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o) at System.Threading.Timer.ring()
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:30 AM