none
If I have corrupted bkup exec SQl Databases will they be removed if I uninstall SQL express 2005 from add remove programs?

Question

• The only things running when I run SQL management are Windows internal Database and SQl browser.
    • Both BKexec and mssql server are broken and won't start
    • I can't seem to find a way to connect to or delete the databases
    • I am using an outdated backup exec 11d so I cannot get support from Symantec
    • I want to know if uninstalling sqlserver express through add remove programs will remove the corrupt databases
    • This is in order to reinstall backup exec
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Based on your description, it seems that a backup tool (backup exec) is corrupt and and you want to reinstall this tool.
    Uninstall SQL Server will not remove database files. Are the database files (data file .mdf and log file .log) or backup file (.bak) still available in your disk? If the database files or backup file is not corrupted, you can attach or restore the database form these files after you reinstall SQL Server.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Uninstalling will not techically delete the user databases. 

However, when you reinstall, they will not be mounted in the new instance.  So they will just be unused files taking up space on the drive.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:45 PM
  • This may be what i want.

They are all corrupted, they have not been backed up.

In this current instance I don't seem to be able to connect to nor get an option to delete the databases.

Is there a way to manually delete the databases to reclaim space?

How big is a bkup exec database for sql? Does it take up much space?

Also will uninstalling reinstalling require a reboot? I'm thinking the answer is yes?

Droid Hacker

• Edited by Droidhacker Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:50 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Here is information on completely uninstalling Backup Exec 11d

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-install-uninstall-or-reinstall

Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:01 PM