none
Migrating Reports from VS 2005 to VS 2012

Question

• We have some reporting services projects in VS 2005 with SSRS 2005, and want to migrate them to VS 2012 with SSRS 2012. As best we understand, the migration of the reports definition on the SSRS side, should be rather smooth and easy.

We would like to know about the migration of the reporting elements in this matter, within the C# / Web App code from VS 2005 to VS 2012.

Can u please relate to implications, things to notice, tips & tricks, etc... as per migration of the reporting elements from working on VS 2005 to working on VS 2012 ? Also with respect to moving to SSDT 2012 BI for VS 2012 in this apsect ? Kind thx,

p.s. if this is not the correct forum, please refer me to the correct one.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Moital,

I involved SSRS expert to further look at this issue. I am moving your thread into the SQL Server Reporting Services, Power View  Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:44 AM
  • I did in the below way. 

1) Copy the VS2005 files  to the new server

2) Open SSDT (no BIDS anymore)  and create a new SSRS project

3) Add the "old" files VS2005 to the projects 

4) Check the reports and deploy them to the server.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hi Moital,

When we open a report in Report Designer in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), the report definition is upgraded to the currently supported RDL schema. In your scenario, to upgrade the reports from SSRS 2005 RDL schema to SSRS 2012 RDL schema, we can simply open the report server project or separate reports in SQL Server Data Tools installed by SQL Server 2012.

A report that is successfully upgraded is processed by the SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services (SSRS) report processor. A report that cannot be upgraded is processed by the SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services report processor in backward-compatibility mode. A report cannot be processed by both report processors. On first use, a report is either successfully upgraded or marked for backward compatibility.

Reference:
    Upgrade Reports

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Thank u very much for your reply.

Your answer relates to the SSRS side. Can someone please relate also to migration of the C# / ASP.Net / .Net Framework programming code that uses the reports, i.e. the Visual Studio Controls within which such reports are placed , and other programattic aspects relating to such reports from within the code - Are there any migration aspect to notice or take care of as per these coding controls / programattic parts ?

Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:37 AM
  • would appreciate an answer. thank u 
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hi Moital.g,

Thank for your posting.

In you scenario, it is actually the upgrade of the Web application not the SSRS 2005 report. In the upgraded Web application, you still need to display a report that is deployed to the SSRS 2005 report server, right? If so, this issue is not related to the Reporting Services actually. I am not familiar with the upgrade of a Web application. Is it possible to remove the ReportViewer control from the Web application temporarily, upgrade the Web application separately, and then insert ReportViewer 2010 to the Web application again? In this way, the ReportViewer 2010 can be used to display a SSRS 2005 report server report.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Thank u for your reply. Where could i thus ask and receive a 1st hand answer to this question ? Should i move the question to another specific forum ? kind thanks
    Friday, September 20, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Hi Moital.g,

Thank for your posting.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,
    Mike Yin

Mike Yin

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

If its web application, you can open thread on asp.net forums for upgrading related.

And here some links that might help you on the way to upgrading:

- http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brianhartman/archive/2010/06/07/upgrading-web-application-projects-to-vs-2010.aspx

- http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/d23ec496-41da-48da-be50-a36d2b3cd5e7/migrating-net-35-app-from-visualstudio-2010-to-2012-problems-on-charts-reportviewer

- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh266747.aspx

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:45 AM