error while "Add Connection" in visual studio 2012 database explorer

Question

• hi..i am unable to "ADD CONNECTION" in visual studio 2012 express edition.

this is what i did so far..

1. Clicked the "DATABASE EXPLORER" on the left hand side.

2.Right clicked on the "ADD CONNECTIONS" and selected "ADD CONNECTION".

3.Then selected "MICROSOFT SQL SERVER"

4. entered the SERVER NAME as .\sqlexpress

5. selected USE WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION"

5.Entered the database name and clicked OK.

but studio showing the following error:

"data source value in the connection string specifies an instance of sql server that is not installed"

Can someone please solve this problem.

EDIT:

i have included the screenshots below

server nameerror image

• Edited by narendrav Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:16 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are trying to connect to the instance of SQL Express instance running in your local PC. The dot in the '.\sqlexpress' points to local PC and 'sqlexpress' is the instance name.

Check if this instance is running in your PC using SQL Server Configuration Manger. You can open it by Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Configuration Manager. In the Configuration Manager, click on the 'SQL Server Services' under 'SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local)' on the left pane. Check if the 'SQL Express (SQLEXPRESS)'  service is running on the right pane.

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:03 PM

All replies

• Please share the VS 2012 Express edition you are using, so readers can attempt to replicate your problem.

Also, are you sure of the Server Name you entered? When I create a data source with VS 1012 Express Desktop here, I use a name like <MyComputerName>\SQLEXPRESS. With the name correctly entered, the drop down list of available databases is populated, and all I need to do is choose one.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:22 AM
  • i have included two screenshots..kindly take a look at these..

Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

You are trying to connect to the instance of SQL Express instance running in your local PC. The dot in the '.\sqlexpress' points to local PC and 'sqlexpress' is the instance name.

Check if this instance is running in your PC using SQL Server Configuration Manger. You can open it by Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Configuration Manager. In the Configuration Manager, click on the 'SQL Server Services' under 'SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local)' on the left pane. Check if the 'SQL Express (SQLEXPRESS)'  service is running on the right pane.

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:03 PM
  • What Ramesh said.

If you are having to type in the server and database names, there must be an issue with your SQL Server instance.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:13 PM
  • thanks...solved it..
    as you said the instance name is creating the problem..

it was "SQLExpress"...

Monday, December 31, 2012 7:56 AM