Slow compile/stop time

Question

• Hello,

I'm doing a rather small project (~=15 forms) in Visual studio C# express 2010 and SQL Server Express 2008 R2.

Now I reached times to compile up to ~15~20 seconde ... but worse I think the the time to stop the application is up to 40 seconds or unlimited (VS freeze).

This is very tiring since I still have a lot of things to test and debug, I'm going to spend hours if not days watch VS stopping the project.

My system has 7,5 Windows Experience Index,

CPU  : i7 950 3.07 GHz, RAM : 12 GB, HD : Corsair SSD(system), WD Caviar Black (Data & Projects), Win 7 64-bits, ...

What can cause this ?

EDIT : Compile and stoping the exactly same project on on my laptop only take a few seconds, as expected and as usual. So it my be bound to my desktop computer system. But how can I solve it anyway ?

• Edited by ThomasMSN Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

• Amongst a few tips to make debugging faster, this one seems to work:

- delete solution's.suo file (well, you lose a bit of settings)

Optionnally :

- remove breakpoints

• Marked as answer by ThomasMSN Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:39 PM
    • Edited by ThomasMSN Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:28 PM Typing mistakes.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:37 PM

All replies

• Amongst a few tips to make debugging faster, this one seems to work:

- delete solution's.suo file (well, you lose a bit of settings)

Optionnally :

- remove breakpoints

• Marked as answer by ThomasMSN Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:39 PM
    • Edited by ThomasMSN Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:28 PM Typing mistakes.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Thanks Thomas for posting the solution we had the same problem here but x100 and the developers solution at the time was to throw 8GB of RAM at the problem, after of course, rebuilding the machine with 64bit Windows and a full reinstall of Visual Studio and all associated tools.

That didn't help, but it was funny to watch.

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:52 PM