csproj is not supported by this version of Visual Studio 2008

Question

• Hello,

When i try to open the project created in VS 2008 from my other team members, i am not able to open it. Below is the error message i am getting.

".csproj cannot be opened because its project type (.csproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio."

I got a new machine in which i installed VS 2008 and VS 2005. When i try to create a new project File-> New -> Project,

i see only project types are Business Intelligence Projects, Other Project Types (Visual Studio Solutions)

I am thinking to uninstall VS 2008 and install again. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong.

Planning to install the following from products web

Product: VS 2008

Version: 9.0

Edition Team Suite

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please start VS 2008, go to Help | About and post which packages you see in the list of installed products. Looks like your VS 2008 installation is either incomplete (in this case, you just need to add the missing Visual C# components), or corrupt (then, the repair/reinstall is indeed required).

Given that you only see Business Intelligence projects in File | New | Project, I might guess you have Business Intelligence Studio installed (goes with SQL Server client components - however I've always thought it was based on VS 2005, not VS 2008? ). This is not a problem per se - if that's the case, install VS 2008 Team Suite and it'll either reuse the same IDE, provided there is a version of Biz Intelligence Studio based on VS 2008 - perhaps that from SQL 2008?, or VSTS 2008 will happily leave side-by-side.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please start VS 2008, go to Help | About and post which packages you see in the list of installed products. Looks like your VS 2008 installation is either incomplete (in this case, you just need to add the missing Visual C# components), or corrupt (then, the repair/reinstall is indeed required).

Given that you only see Business Intelligence projects in File | New | Project, I might guess you have Business Intelligence Studio installed (goes with SQL Server client components - however I've always thought it was based on VS 2005, not VS 2008? ). This is not a problem per se - if that's the case, install VS 2008 Team Suite and it'll either reuse the same IDE, provided there is a version of Biz Intelligence Studio based on VS 2008 - perhaps that from SQL 2008?, or VSTS 2008 will happily leave side-by-side.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Looks like it did not complete the install of VS 2008.

I uninstalled VS 2008 and then re-installed VS Team Suite 2008. Now i've all the options exists in File New Project.

Thanks for your reply Smile.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Check this forum: http://silverlight.net/forums/p/15748/52675.aspx. I had the same problem but still was unable to open my .csproj project even after clean install of MSVS2008 Team Suite. This helped:

Run devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

• Proposed as answer by Sraddha9 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:52 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:30 AM
  • devenv.exe /resetskippkgs WORKED .  Best of all I didnt have to re-install VS2008 as suggested above !!!!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:09 PM
  • I have successfully been using VS2008 C# Express for moderately complex WPF programs.

I cannot however open .sln from downloaded book code.

I downloaded and ran vcssetup.exe for install of VS2008 C# express.

I selected repair and it terminated OK but still cannot open .sln from downloaded book code.

Several other threads had similar solutions but none worked.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Run devenv.exe /resetskippkgs Works perfectly.

Thanks ergfer !!!

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Check this forum: http://silverlight.net/forums/p/15748/52675.aspx . I had the same problem but still was unable to open my .csproj project even after clean install of MSVS2008 Team Suite. This helped:

I'm a newbie to Visual studio and i wonder how do I run "devenv.exe /resetskippkgs"?
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Check this forum: http://silverlight.net/forums/p/15748/52675.aspx . I had the same problem but still was unable to open my .csproj project even after clean install of MSVS2008 Team Suite. This helped:

I'm a newbie to Visual studio and i wonder how do I run "devenv.exe /resetskippkgs"?

easy man:

1.-windows button+R

2.-write "devenv.exe /resetskippkgs" without the quotations

3.-click accept

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:49 AM
  • I have visual studio 10 express and it doesn't come with devenv.exe which is the fix suggested by many who answered this question.  When I double clicked on the solution file I received the same error message as above.  However if I started up visual C## express and then opened the project it worked.
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Thanks ergfer,

Solution Run devenv.exe /resetskippkgs work for me! :)

QuangDV

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:36 PM