Question on Windows Workflow Foundation

Question

• 1) Does Microsoft is rewriting the Windows Workflow Foundation? If so what will be the effect of old workflow code?

2) In WWF what is the best way of designing the workflows? As per my knowledge there are three ways
        1) Code only 2) XOML with code behind 3) XOML only.

For XOML only I think there is no tool support. How to design the workflows in this case?  

For  Code only  and XOML with code behind  Tool support is available, but the problem is when I am rehydrate and dehydrate of workflows using the persistence service, I am facing lot of difficulties in versioning of workflows.   

3) How to update the workflows dynamically without recompilation? 

4) I am facing lot of issues with delay activity, after time expire it is expected to do certain tasks which it is not happening? 

5) How to build an Activity to send a task and send a notification?

• Moved by nobugzMVP Friday, May 29, 2009 1:12 AM (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:54 PM

Answers

• In addition to above:

1. There is an OOB activity called Interop activity using which you can execute old workflows so no need to rewrite them.

2. There is tools support for xaml only WFs. When chosing project you can chose project with code separation or otherwise which map to xoml only and code.

3. Workflows can be updated dynamically from host. Following is link for samples:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms742040.aspx

4. What tasks are not happening in delay? Do you have persistence service configured with unloadOnIdle true?

5. Maybe you are looking for Send and Receive activities. Please note these activities were shipped with .Net 3.5 framework.

Hope this was helpful.

Saurabh Chechi - MS Workflow SDET
    • Marked as answer by edhickeyOwner Monday, June 15, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:04 PM

All replies

• 1) I believe you'll have to rewrite old workflows to get them working on the new platform.

2) You seem to understand the trade offs pretty well so I'll leave that part alone.

I went with XOML only and there isn't out of the box support for the designer but you can get it to work by hack the xml as I described here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsworkflowfoundation/thread/495586ef-48ca-4423-afab-a0e8268a49af/

3) By using XOML only workflows and designing your workflows so that you don't need to change the base class to update workflow logic. We accomplished this by using a Dictionary<string, object> called Varaibles which we use to store workflow variables and then I provided base class typed accessors (GetVariableAsString, GetVariableAsInt, ect...) for accesing variables from Policy\Conditional activities and then typed custom activity accessors (GetVariableAsString, GetVariableAsInt, ect...) for binding to variables. This design has allowed for you to not have to recompile when you need to update the definitions.

4) not sure but I hope that this does work as I'm using it also but haven't tested it

5) what do you mean?
    If my response answers your question, please mark it as the "Answer" by clicking that button above my post.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 4:56 PM
  • In addition to above:

1. There is an OOB activity called Interop activity using which you can execute old workflows so no need to rewrite them.

2. There is tools support for xaml only WFs. When chosing project you can chose project with code separation or otherwise which map to xoml only and code.

3. Workflows can be updated dynamically from host. Following is link for samples:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms742040.aspx

4. What tasks are not happening in delay? Do you have persistence service configured with unloadOnIdle true?

5. Maybe you are looking for Send and Receive activities. Please note these activities were shipped with .Net 3.5 framework.

Hope this was helpful.

Saurabh Chechi - MS Workflow SDET
    • Marked as answer by edhickeyOwner Monday, June 15, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:04 PM