none
Microsoft Sql Server, Error 233

Question

•  

Hi,

I have installed Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation & Sql Server 2008 June CTP.

When I am trying to connect to Database Engine through Sql Server Management Studio then it Throws following Error

Cannot connect to MDT1000\ADITYA

Additional Information

A Connection was Successfully established with the server, But then an error occurred during the login process.  (provider : Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 –No process is on the other end of pipe) (Microsoft Sql Server, Error : 233) “

where "MDT1000" is my machine name and "ADITYA" is Sqlserver name.

if some have any idea please suggest me what is wrong.

Thanks,

Aditya Bajpai

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:51 PM

Answers

• I don´t think it has anything to do with the sa password, its more related that you did not enabled remote connections / named pipes for the instance. See the screencast on my website for more information.

Jens K. Suessmeyer

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de

---

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• Will you take a look at the following link? They seem solved this problem.

I guess it's about your SA account and it's password.

http://www.ureader.com/message/2671598.aspx

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:38 PM
  • I don´t think it has anything to do with the sa password, its more related that you did not enabled remote connections / named pipes for the instance. See the screencast on my website for more information.

Jens K. Suessmeyer

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de

---

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:46 AM
  • I experienced the same error message on a SQL 2005(SP2) Dev box a couple of weeks ago. How it started: I had to drop a database to refresh it from Production. Just after dropping I tried to do a restore from the context menu and the above error message started to pop up.

I tried to connect to the instance using my login, it failed; tried with sa login, and I was sure about the password, and still it failed. I searched this site for the solution. There were a number of suggestions, but none of those exactly matched my casse.

But what did was: I tried a Dedicated Administrative Connection to the instance using sqlcmd command with -A flag for my login, categorically mentioning the database to connect(master) by -dmaster in the command line. That was successful and gave me a command prompt with I> as remember. Then I used alter login to set the default database for my login to master. Did the same for sa login.

After that I came back to Management Studio and could connect to the instance using my login.

I am not sure, but maybe the database that I dropped was the default database for my login. That is the most frequently used database on that box, and almost all users have been set to that database as default. Though that should not be the case for sa, or sysadmin accounts, but apparently that was true. I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone who faces the same situation.

In my case, I had Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP  all were enabled.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 1:51 PM