Unable to download files from ... Do you want to skip these files ...

Question

• Hi All,

I'm encountering with an error countinously whenver i'm trying to Add an Web Reference to my Windows Application. The details are as follows:-

Unable to download following files from http://somename.comp.com:4000/webservice/service.asmx?wsdl. Do you want to skip these files and continue?

Here i've configured the DNS i.e. somename.comp.com for an ip say, 10.2.4.56:4000. (Here ip address is sample but the port no is exactly what i've used). So for an ip say, 10.2.4.56:4000 i've put a name say somename.comp.com and when i'm trying to add the webreference from webservice, i'm encountering the above error.

My biggest doubt is, how come the system is again appending 4000 port no to my DNS, even though i've not mentioned 4000 in the url while i'm adding the web reference and also, other doubt is, how come its appending 4000 though my DNS internally is configured for a ip with 4000 port no.

Would be great if you could help me to figure out this.

Thanks

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:48 AM

All replies

• How did you configure this DNS name? DNS doesn't know anything about port numbers, only IP addresses.

Also, what happens if you try to add the web reference using the IP address?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:52 PM
  • How did u solve this issue?
    I have the same problem
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Please start a new thread. You cannot possibly know whether or not you have the same problem, since we don't know what the problem actually was! You may have the same symptom , but there's no way to know whether or not you have the same "disease".

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:45 PM