none
Login again after Remote Desktop Session

Question

• I have a device running XPE.  I have it set up to accept Remote Desktop connections.  This all works.  But when the remote computer disconnects, I have to manually logon back onto the remote device to get the display for the device back.   I log onto through the remote connection using the same account that I have using.  I do this to check the status of the running software by examining the GUI that is up. 

So is there a way to have the remote device automatically log back on after being disconnected?

Thanks for any help.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• XP (and other client flavors of Windows) support a single connected session at time.  If a second users connects remotely, the first one is disonnected (machine locks up). This is by design. You need a Server with Terminal services installed to support multiple sessions. (in your case - retain the first session when other user connects remotely)

Please clarify if I misunderstood you question.

Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:20 PM
  • I understand about the first session being disabled.  This is fine.  The effect that I am trying to get around is having to log back in on the device to get the first session back .

As I log in on both session as the same user, the remote session takes over the functioning of the first sesson.  This is fine.

The remote device does not have a keyboard.  It is designed around a touchscreen.  All the interactions are supposed to handled through it.  We have an instance of Internet explorer taking over the touchscreen display.  When the remote desktop session is disconnected I want the first session to be automatcially re-started without having to login on the device or do a Windows restart of the system.  We have programs running that control other devices and there are many complications when the device shutdowns and starts up. 

Right now we use a cross-over ethernet cable to connect to the device from a laptop.  In the future we will be using an internet link to do the Remote Desktop connection.  So there is no way to log back into the device.

Is there another strategy to use.  One problem is that we don't have a stable IP address for the device through the only internet provider we can get at the site.  The site is out in the country.  There is not evey land power.  The whole system is is run on solar panels and storage batteries.

I hope I made myself clearer.  But it has been a long day and I may not be too coherent.

Bart
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Hi Bart,

Have you looked at Remote Assistance feature of XP? It's based on RDP protocol and two users share the same control of the computer. Unlike RDP session the second user doesn't disconnect the first user.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383015(VS.85).aspx
    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300546
    Remote Assistance is a technology in Windows XP which enables Windows XP users to help each other over the Internet. With this tool, one user, called the "Expert," can view the desktop of another user, the "Novice." With the Novice's permission, the Expert can even share control of the Novice's computer to resolve issues remotely

Thank you,
    Sergey
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:11 AM
  • You have quite an exotic device :-)

One way to fix your problem sounds like using a server edition of windows which allows a second session without interrupting the console session.

The terminal services team should be able to confirm this OR provide other alternatives. Here's a link to their forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/threads

Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:32 AM
  • I will look into these possibillities.  The remote assistance sounds interesting.  Using a server edition I think is out though.

We have to stick to one of the embedded versions of Windows.  These devices are used to control production of natural gas wells.  So they are stuck out in some farmer's field.  There is no land power.  Everything is run off of batteries charged by solar panels.  So there is a high certainty that the system will crash on a regular basis due to power loss.  Think of what happens to solar panels in a snow storm.  So the reboot roboustness of the embedded versions is required.  We need the devices to cleanly startup  themselves.  So some sort of server version of windows is not workable.  We need the systems to run with a minimum of human intervention.

Bart
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Please let us know the results of your experiments with Remote Assistance and your conversations with Terminal services team.  We'll be interested.

On a side note , for machines that are subjected to frequent power loss (and consequently cannot shutdown safely) , EWF is an excellent option to prevent filesystem corruption. (assuming you don't need to persist the OS partition)
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:07 PM
  • We've had some success using VNC instead of Remote Desktop.

We run a VNC server on our instruments and we can the look at what's on the screen of them without having to log-off at the end,  just kill the VNC viewer when you are done.

Just remember to set a secure password so that not just anyone can get to it.  I guess the same applies to remote desktop anyway.

Friday, October 30, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Even I need it to log back in on it's own in WES7 after closure of Remote Connection.

Any updates on this?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:54 AM