how does intellisense work??

Question

•  

Hi all!

I don't mean class parsing etc...

i want to know how it works on the windows message level.

since we have an active window (IDE) and we press CTRL+Space we get a new widow (Intellisense)

which receives keyboard input despite the caret still being in the main window (IDE).

my guess is that the IDE window sends keyboard input messages to the Intellisense listbox.

but by the coloring of the listbox items it seems like both have the focus set.

so intellisense can't be a non active window, can it?

how is that done??

thanx.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are really interested in how that works you might check out #Develop by ICSharpCode.net
    This is an open source IDE that also implements intellisense.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:15 PM
  •  

awsome! thanx!

will check it out.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Hi MladenP,

As I understand from your description, you would like to know how Intellisense works in IDE.

I want to give you some explanations about it in VS.NET for your reference. Please take a look at the following for details: 

In Visual Studio .NET intellisense is implemented as a VSIP package. What this means is that developers can write their own add-ins to Visual studio and use the existing intellisense VSIP package within their add-in. Hence each add-in need not implement intellisense as a sub feature. Each VSIP package is implemented as a VSPackage and is registered with Visual Studio in the “Packages” key under Visual Studio registry key.

You can check out this article about "How does IntelliSense work in smart device projects?" for more information - http://blogs.msdn.com/vsdteam/archive/2006/06/09/624131.aspx

Hope this helps,

Citizens on the earth

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:10 AM
  •  

Thanx for that Citizens on the earth.

however i have no interest in extending the visual studio intellisense since i'm not even working on an add-in.

i was just wondering how it works on the win32 message loop level. how keyboard messages are routed.

i had an idea and i just wanted to confirm it.

haven't yet Smile

although the project Chris pointed me to has shed some light.

Thanx!

Mladen

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:15 PM