none
I can't add music to my page

All replies

• That is nowhere near enough information.

Could you answer that question with only those 10 words to go on?

Read the Forum FAQ, above, then give a link to the page and a detailed description of what you have done and what you tried--step by step.

Ugh!--The Holidays are here: the deadlines, the shopping, the traffic, the crowds... It's a jingle out there!
    • Edited by Bill Pearson Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:02 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:29 PM
  • If you mean bgsound, with music automatically playing and not stoppable by the visitor: don't!
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:01 PM
  • bgsound only works with a few browser, mostly older ones and I think that's a good thing.

If you want music on your site add a music player that the visitor has to click to turn on otherwise you will drive many, if not most visitors away when they hit your site. It would me.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:43 PM
  • I'm afraid that I'm going to have to join the symphony advising that you avoid this like the plague. There are many reasons not to use bgsound (or indeed, any auto-start sounds when your page loads). As Cheryl stated, browser support is minimal, since it was completely removed from the HTML 4.x/XHTML 1.x standards. About.com shows current support as (perhaps not surprisingly ;-) Internet Explorer 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Now, neither of the two current IE versions, 8 and 9, which have the highest penetration of all IE browsers, is shown as supporting it. However, that may reflect more on the age of the article than the actual support status. OTOH, all IE versions, collectively, only hold a 50% share, so a reasonable estimate of the browsing public who could hear the sound is still half or fewer of visitors.

That said, it's a Very Bad Idea anyway. Here are some of the reasons that About.com lists— 

<bgsound> Special Notes:

• It is strongly recommended that you avoid use of this tag. It is not part of the HTML/XHTML specification, and may not be supported in future versions of the Internet Explorer browser.
    • The bgsound tag doesn't allow your readers to turn off the music.
    • Remember that what sounds wonderful to you can be very annoying to someone else, and your music may drive away otherwise repeat customers.

A comment on the first reason listed—checking for support in IE8 and IE9 yielded mixed results, but the fact that no version of the HTML standards beyond the ancient HTML 3.2 includes bgsound should be a clue. With Microsoft moving steadily apace in its effort to boast the most standards compliant browser, any support which may exist at this point is destined to go the way of the winds.

Like others, I can assure you that if I go to a site, any site, and it starts playing music without my permission, I click away immediately and never return.

Note the third reason listed above. Think about all of the possible different musical genre people might enjoy. Now, consider the odds that your personal choice is going to suit the visitors to your site. See the problem? Even if you beat the odds and someone comes who agrees with your taste, the circumstances may not be amenable to having music play without warning. Of all the times I've visited a site which immediately started blaring music from my speakers (which I immediately left, never to return), the only time that music (classic prog rock) suited my tastes, it happened in an open-plan office cube farm where I was working as an independent contractor on an on-site project.

Now, as much as I like Rush, and "Passage to Bangkok," it is not something I want blaring from my speakers under those circumstances. So, even if you hit one of the few people who actually agree with your choice of tunes, they may be browsing under circumstances inappropriate for any music, much less your music. Or, they may be like me, and simply detest anyone who has the presumption to believe they have the right to take control of their computer's sound system. Capisc'?

Besides the reasons listed, consider that your visitor may be monitoring a fretful sleeping baby while browsing, or listening to their own music, or like me, watching the TV in their home office, or any of a dozen other reasons. In most lists of "Top Ten Things That Make A Web Site Suck," playing music unbidden almost always makes the list, and is usually at or near #1.

Just Say No to unavoidable background music.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Friday, December 23, 2011 2:36 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 2:35 AM