none
WES7 Improper ShutDown ...

Question

• Hi all I encounter 1 MAJOR problem on the WES. Consider the OS is installed on an embedded machine WITHOUT going through proper shutting down process. The way to turn off the machine is PULLED out the wall-outlet ...

1. During normal booting process, there was one time I encountered a BLUE SCREEN .. so the whole PC hang. I rebooted the PC and it returned to normal boot up. Only complain about improper shutdown and start counting 25,24,23 ... seconds normal boot or safe mode ... Any solution?

2. Since the WES is targeted for embedded device, so is there any way to prevent harddrive's data corruption? I am thinking about using window's harddrive Mirror feature or using third party software to prevent harddrive corruption, what do you all think about that ?

Thank you.

Friday, June 25, 2010 4:56 PM

Answers

• 1. During normal booting process, there was one time I encountered a BLUE SCREEN .. so the whole PC hang. I rebooted the PC and it returned to normal boot up. Only complain about improper shutdown and start counting 25,24,23 ... seconds normal boot or safe mode ... Any solution?

You should do the following

1. Configure your machine to auto restart on a BSOD. (only in production environment). One way to do this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307973

2. Configure boot environment to ignore shutdown and boot failures. This can be achieved by running the following command -

bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures

If you include write filters in your image (EWF or FBWF) , we'll pre-configure this setting during OS install.

2. Since the WES is targeted for embedded device, so is there any way to prevent harddrive's data corruption? I am thinking about using window's harddrive Mirror feature or using third party software to prevent harddrive corruption, what do you all think about that ?

1. If you don't need to persist data to your hard disk , you can turn on EWF . With EWF on, you can pull the plug without worrying about any corruption.

2. If you need to persist data, write filters will not be able to fully protect you against corruption. The correct approach would be to have the file system and the storage stack stop caching anything at all (like it is done for a removable storage device which can be yanked out anytime without corruption risk). But there's no exposed switch to turn off caching for non removable storage devices. (except by writing a kernel mode driver that reports a fixed device as removable)

PS: This query should be posted in WES7 forum and not in WES 2009.

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by wEs_GuY Monday, July 19, 2010 5:55 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:11 PM