.dbproj files cannot be opened because its project type(.dbproj) is not supported by this version of the application

Question

• I am running VSTS 2008 DB Edition SP1 and starting today I cannot open dbproj files.  I tried re-installing but it still isn't working

Any thoughts?
    • Moved by YiChun Chen Friday, July 10, 2009 8:39 AM VSTS DB Edition issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• I am running VSTS 2008 DB Edition SP1 and starting today I cannot open dbproj files.  I tried re-installing but it still isn't working

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, after much wasted time, I finally saw the answer staring me in the face. Whenever I tried to load the .dbproj file, I was looking at the popup window saying my version was incorrect. Meanwhile, underneath it in the Output window, it was directing me to run at the command line prompt :

devenv /resetskippkgs

I guess there was some issue the previous time I had successfully loaded VS for that project type prior to the error I was getting.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Try the steps in the troubleshooting setup section
    http://dbproj.com/Tutorials/tabid/62/TID/12/cid/26/Default.aspx

GertD @ www.DBProj.com
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott Beardsley,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "Visual Studio Team System - Database Edition" forum, since the issue is related to VSTS 2008 DB Edition. There are more experts in the "Visual Studio Team System - Database Edition" forum.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Hello Scott,
    Could you please make sure you've followed the instructions in http://blogs.msdn.com/vstsdb/archive/2009/04/21/microsoft-visual-studio-team-system-2008-database-edition-gdr-r2.aspx

Cheers,
    Steven
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Try the steps in the troubleshooting setup section
    http://dbproj.com/Tutorials/tabid/62/TID/12/cid/26/Default.aspx

GertD @ www.DBProj.com
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Am I missing something?

I have the same problem as Scott, and you are recommending installing the GDR edition? I'm not interested in having to update the project files, as other members of my team are not experiencing this problem.

Why did both his and my installation of VS 2008 Database Edition stop working, seemingly at the same time?

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Are you using a CTP or a trial version of DB Pro?  It could be that you have hit a time bomb?  It would be helpful if you could tell us what version number of DB Pro you are running.

Or, are your projects shared and they perhaps got upgraded by another user?

Thanks,
    Jill
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:31 PM
  • I am having the same issue, too.  I am running Team Suite on 64bit Windows 7.  Other members of my team can access the projects (they are running developer+db edition+gdr R2).  I have tried uninstalling the db edition+GDR2 and reinstalling, and that did not help.  The only other option is to try to uninstall everything.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I am not using a trial, and the project hasn't changed. It is the genuine VS 2008 Team System Database Edition 9.0.30729.1 SP. The original installation had been working for at least a year.  I uninstalled VS to no avail.

I installed GDR2, and it was able to handle .dbproj files. I uninstalled GDR2, and the same problem.

Since then, I have reinstalled GDR2, and with some pain have migrated the project files to this latest edition. Everything builds and deploys to my local server when the database is not present. However, when I try to deploy again (with the database existing on the server, I get Microsoft Jet 4.0 Distributed Transaction Coordinator errors when reading Excel files with OpenRowSet, even though I am only trying to update a SQL Server table, not the spreadsheet itself. These problems did not occur when everything was working a couple of weeks ago with the non-GDR version.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:28 AM

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, after much wasted time, I finally saw the answer staring me in the face. Whenever I tried to load the .dbproj file, I was looking at the popup window saying my version was incorrect. Meanwhile, underneath it in the Output window, it was directing me to run at the command line prompt :

devenv /resetskippkgs

I guess there was some issue the previous time I had successfully loaded VS for that project type prior to the error I was getting.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 4:59 PM