none
Connecting to Oracle using Excel 2010, PowerPivot 2010 and SharePoint 2010? Where are the resources?

Question

• I am amazed that there are no resources on the subject of connecting to Oracle database sources using the new BI tools in 2010.  Excel seems to have a connector to Oracle but I can't figure out how to use it, then do I need to install an Oracle driver on SharePoint to use the PowerPivot features in SahrePoint once it is published to refresh the data?  I took a class on the BI tools...but no labs on this subject...why on earth would they teach something useful?  This is beyond frustrating.

How does one specify the instance name and server name?  There doesn't appear to be a line for the instance name anywhere?????

• Edited by Hikmer Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:08 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:47 AM

Answers

• Any server that has an application that will connect to Oracle must have the oracle client installed along with a tnsnames.ora file that has the connection information to the the Oracle instance.  You may need both the 32 bit and 64 bit Oracle clients. Some MS applications are still 32 bit which should be taken into consideration. Also if you need to install both 64 bit and 32 bit oracle clients , Install 64 before 32.  When connecting to oracle I typically use the Oracle Providers in place of the MS ones.

Norman P

normap
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Friday, April 15, 2011 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Not sure about the rest but here is one source

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff464424(office.14).aspx

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Nope that isn't it....not BCS...not even close, sorry thanks for trying...
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Any server that has an application that will connect to Oracle must have the oracle client installed along with a tnsnames.ora file that has the connection information to the the Oracle instance.  You may need both the 32 bit and 64 bit Oracle clients. Some MS applications are still 32 bit which should be taken into consideration. Also if you need to install both 64 bit and 32 bit oracle clients , Install 64 before 32.  When connecting to oracle I typically use the Oracle Providers in place of the MS ones.

Norman P

normap
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Friday, April 15, 2011 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Thanks for the info....do you know of a write up or blog that details the steps required to do this?  I was able to get things working on SharePoint with the 64 bit instantclient.  However, MS and Oracle provide very little detail on how this should be done.  It's pretty shamefull that they say it can be done but provide no details on how to do this...I struggled with it for three weeks before getting any success.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 1:14 PM