No cd/dvd drive showing up after installing Windows 8

Question

• There's no trace of my DVD-RAM GH40L drive after installing Windows 8, not in the computer dialog nor the device managemant..
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• Done a reinstall of windows 8 running from boot and I have my blueray disc back but not run windows update yet?

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:02 AM

All replies

• Try the steps listed below, there are also additional details in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

Note: When referencing the article linked above follow the suggestions documented for Windows 7

Open Regedit (If you are prompted for Administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.)

Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

• In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    • Then select ‘Delete’

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, continue:

• In the right pane, click LowerFilters
    • Then select 'Delete'

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

• Close Regedit, Reboot your system and check to see if your DVD drive is present.

Michael

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:45 PM
    Owner
  • Try the steps listed below, there are also additional details in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

Note: When referencing the article linked above follow the suggestions documented for Windows 7

Open Regedit (If you are prompted for Administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.)

Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

• In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    • Then select ‘Delete’

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, continue:

• In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

• Close Regedit, Reboot your system and check to see if your DVD drive is present.

Michael
    I've already done that and it didn't help..
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:56 PM
  • As the title explains, after installing WIN8 I haven't been able to do anything with my cd/dvd-player nor is it showing up in device management or computer. When I try to manually install the driver (HP GH40L) it doesn't let me because i'm running Win8..
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hey there,

Can you provide additional details to how the Windows Developer Preview was installed? Was this a clean installation booting from a DVD? Is the CD/DVD player an internal or external device?

Regards,

Bobby

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:35 PM
    Answerer
  • The player is an internal device, I installed using the upgrade function (the version without sdk).

Jens

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Is there anyone who could help please?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I'm getting the same issue, there is No DVD drive showing up on my System
    Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I am having the same issue any fix?
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Just reinstalled back to Windows 7 and I have not issue with my Blue-Ray Player...
    Will upgrade to windows 8 soon to test again
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Did you carry over your data(application and settings etc) if so can you fill me on how i can go about this thanks in advance!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I installed the 64-bit Devloper tools version which is a clean install even if you upgrade it removes all personal settings...
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Oh ok thanks!!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Same problem here, except that I've tried with both x64 versions, neither can detect my DVD Drive, I have a Win7 x64 installed in the other HD, and it detects my DVD drive normally, the problem seems to be with Win8, as it won't detect the DVD Drive, even if I do a clean install.

In both cases, I installed the win8 from a bootable USB drive.

EDIT: Btw, There's no upper or lower filter in the said registry subkey
    • Edited by hugopkmn Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Done a reinstall of windows 8 running from boot and I have my blueray disc back but not run windows update yet?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Same issue here.  when i reinstall I have a DVD again, but after some updates and reboots it goes away.  Tried with three optical drives, all the same problem.  Also not seeingand upper filters in {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Please try doing a method like this, so that you can install Win8 while your other OS is running:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/4d8c3257-35e7-47a7-9d9c-3bccdafbc354

Any difference?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:31 PM