none
Using a CASE statement and checking for NULL values?

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am using the CASE statement below (the commented section does not work, and it is the part that I need to remedy).

Whilst the above works fine when looking for the value '0.00', and the responding output is correct, I also need to look for NULLs and respond accordingly. If anybody has any suggestions on how I can go about this it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

To take your code and check, better post as text. So that we can just copy and try out before suggesting a solution.

For checking is null you could use it like below

isnull(column,'N/A')

Working as a Senior Database Analyst & Architect at Ministry of Higher Education in KSA

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I am using the CASE statement below (the commented section does not work, and it is the part that I need to remedy).

Whilst the above works fine when looking for the value '0.00', and the responding output is correct, I also need to look for NULLs and respond accordingly. If anybody has any suggestions on how I can go about this it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David

Use 

isnull(...,0)=0

instead of having "... is null" above.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:17 AM

All replies

• The image is not visible to me..Can you post the code within code block?

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hi David,

To take your code and check, better post as text. So that we can just copy and try out before suggesting a solution.

For checking is null you could use it like below

isnull(column,'N/A')

Working as a Senior Database Analyst & Architect at Ministry of Higher Education in KSA

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi David,

First, I would use a derived table or a CTE and use an alias for the expression you are evaluating. This is just a matter of readability. Instead of writing the same long expression several times, you can then write it once inside the derived table or CTE, give it a column alias, and then use the friendly alias several times instead of the long expression.

Now, let's say your alias is "ProfitLoss", then your CASE expression, should look like that:

CASE
    	WHEN ProfitLoss = '0.00'	THEN 'N/A'
    	WHEN ProfitLoss IS NULL		THEN 'N/A'
    	ELSE				ProfitLoss
    END

I hope it helps...

--------------------------------------------
    Guy Glantser
    SQL Server Consultant & Instructor
    Madeira - SQL Server Services
    http://www.madeirasql.com

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,

David

Use 

isnull(...,0)=0

instead of having "... is null" above.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:17 AM