VB.NET structure for VB6's integer AND key indexable Dictionary?

Question

• I'm on VB.NET 2005 so I have access to generics, but I seem to keep running into trouble when trying to "translate" the VB6 Dictionary to a .NET equivalent.

It all began when translating VB6 "Dictionary" to the .NET:
    Dim Pairs As Hashtable

That looked great, until I found out the code relied on the VB6 Dictionary being sorted by the item insertion order, as the indices are later matched against another table. The .NET Hashtable doesn't seem to guarantee such a sort order.

So then I tried with this:
    Dim Pairs As List(Of KeyValuePair(String, String))

Great, now I had my key/value pairs in a list that should clearly be in the insertion order (latest item added last). BUT, now I can only retrieve values by their index by the place via an integer, and not via the key name. I checked with Pairs.Find(), but it of course only allows searching for the entire KeyValuePair object, not the key alone, and get the value by it.

So what I'd need is a data structure that fulfills the VB6 Dictionary behavior as in:
    - Values can be retrived by integer index
    - Values can be retreived by key
    - The order must equal the insertion order of the items

Hmm...
    Monday, November 14, 2005 3:21 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I don't think that any of the collections provided by the .NET framework meet your requirements.  There is a generic Dictionary class, but like Hashtable, the ordering of its items is undefined (for purposes of enumeration).  I think you have 2 options using .NET:

1)  You can sort your tables before you compare them.
    2)  It's not totally trivial, but you can implement your own 'OrderedDictionary' as below.  (NOTE, I just hacked this together as an example, and it might have bugs :)

Public Class OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
        Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)

Private m_dictionary As New Dictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
        Private m_keysInOrder As New List(Of TKey)

Default Public Overloads Property Item(ByVal index As Integer) As TValue
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(m_keysInOrder(index))
            End Get
            Set(ByVal value As TValue)
                CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(m_keysInOrder(index)) = value
            End Set
        End Property

Default Public Overloads Property Item(ByVal key As TKey) As TValue Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Item
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(key)
            End Get
                CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(key) = value
            End Set
        End Property

Public Sub Clear() Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Clear
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Clear()
            m_keysInOrder.Clear()
        End Sub

Public Function Contains(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Contains
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Contains(item)
        End Function

Public Sub CopyTo(ByVal array() As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue), ByVal arrayIndex As Integer) Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).CopyTo
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).CopyTo(array, arrayIndex)
        End Sub

Public ReadOnly Property Count() As Integer Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Count
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Count
            End Get
        End Property

Public ReadOnly Property IsReadOnly() As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).IsReadOnly
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).IsReadOnly
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function Remove(ByVal key As TKey) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Remove
            Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Remove(key)
            m_keysInOrder.Remove(key)
        End Function

Public Function Remove(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Remove
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Remove(item)
            m_keysInOrder.Remove(item.Key)
        End Function

Public Sub Add(ByVal key As TKey, ByVal value As TValue) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Add
            CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Add(key, value)
            m_keysInOrder.Add(key)
        End Sub

Public Sub Add(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Add
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Add(item)
            m_keysInOrder.Add(item.Key)
        End Sub

Public Function ContainsKey(ByVal key As TKey) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).ContainsKey
            CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).ContainsKey(key)
        End Function

Public ReadOnly Property Keys() As ICollection(Of TKey) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Keys
            Get
                Return m_keysInOrder
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function TryGetValue(ByVal key As TKey, ByRef value As TValue) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).TryGetValue
            Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).TryGetValue(key, value)
        End Function

Public ReadOnly Property Values() As ICollection(Of TValue) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Values
            Get
                Dim rtnVal As New List(Of TValue)

For Each key As TKey In m_keysInOrder
                    rtnVal.Add(m_dictionary(key))
                Next

Return rtnVal
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function GetEnumerator() As IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) Implements IEnumerable(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).GetEnumerator
            Return New Enumerator(Me)
        End Function

Private Function GetEnumerator1() As IEnumerator Implements IEnumerable.GetEnumerator
        End Function

Public Structure Enumerator
            Implements IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))

Private m_dictionary As OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
            Private m_nextIndex As Integer
            Private m_current As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)

Friend Sub New(ByVal orderedDictionary As OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue))
                m_dictionary = orderedDictionary
                m_nextIndex = 0
                m_current = New KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)
            End Sub

Public ReadOnly Property Current() As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue) Implements IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Current
                Get
                    Return New KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)(m_current.Key, m_current.Value)
                End Get
            End Property

Private ReadOnly Property Current1() As Object Implements IEnumerator.Current
                Get
                    Return Current
                End Get
            End Property

Public Function MoveNext() As Boolean Implements IEnumerator.MoveNext
                Dim rtnVal As Boolean = False

If m_nextIndex < m_dictionary.Count Then
                    rtnVal = True
                    Dim key As TKey = m_dictionary.m_keysInOrder(m_nextIndex)
                    m_current = New KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)(key, m_dictionary.Item(key))
                    m_nextIndex += 1
                Else
                End If

Return rtnVal
            End Function

Public Sub Reset() Implements System.Collections.IEnumerator.Reset
                m_nextIndex = 0
            End Sub

Public Sub Dispose() Implements System.IDisposable.Dispose
            End Sub
        End Structure
    End Class

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Monday, November 14, 2005 11:38 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, I don't think that any of the collections provided by the .NET framework meet your requirements.  There is a generic Dictionary class, but like Hashtable, the ordering of its items is undefined (for purposes of enumeration).  I think you have 2 options using .NET:

1)  You can sort your tables before you compare them.
    2)  It's not totally trivial, but you can implement your own 'OrderedDictionary' as below.  (NOTE, I just hacked this together as an example, and it might have bugs :)

Public Class OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
        Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)

Private m_dictionary As New Dictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
        Private m_keysInOrder As New List(Of TKey)

Default Public Overloads Property Item(ByVal index As Integer) As TValue
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(m_keysInOrder(index))
            End Get
                CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(m_keysInOrder(index)) = value
            End Set
        End Property

Default Public Overloads Property Item(ByVal key As TKey) As TValue Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Item
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(key)
            End Get
                CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Item(key) = value
            End Set
        End Property

Public Sub Clear() Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Clear
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Clear()
            m_keysInOrder.Clear()
        End Sub

Public Function Contains(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Contains
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Contains(item)
        End Function

Public Sub CopyTo(ByVal array() As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue), ByVal arrayIndex As Integer) Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).CopyTo
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).CopyTo(array, arrayIndex)
        End Sub

Public ReadOnly Property Count() As Integer Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Count
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Count
            End Get
        End Property

Public ReadOnly Property IsReadOnly() As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).IsReadOnly
            Get
                Return CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).IsReadOnly
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function Remove(ByVal key As TKey) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Remove
            Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Remove(key)
            m_keysInOrder.Remove(key)
        End Function

Public Function Remove(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) As Boolean Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Remove
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Remove(item)
            m_keysInOrder.Remove(item.Key)
        End Function

Public Sub Add(ByVal key As TKey, ByVal value As TValue) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Add
            CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).Add(key, value)
            m_keysInOrder.Add(key)
        End Sub

Public Sub Add(ByVal item As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) Implements ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Add
            CType(m_dictionary, ICollection(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))).Add(item)
            m_keysInOrder.Add(item.Key)
        End Sub

Public Function ContainsKey(ByVal key As TKey) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).ContainsKey
            CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).ContainsKey(key)
        End Function

Public ReadOnly Property Keys() As ICollection(Of TKey) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Keys
            Get
                Return m_keysInOrder
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function TryGetValue(ByVal key As TKey, ByRef value As TValue) As Boolean Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).TryGetValue
            Return CType(m_dictionary, IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)).TryGetValue(key, value)
        End Function

Public ReadOnly Property Values() As ICollection(Of TValue) Implements IDictionary(Of TKey, TValue).Values
            Get
                Dim rtnVal As New List(Of TValue)

For Each key As TKey In m_keysInOrder
                    rtnVal.Add(m_dictionary(key))
                Next

Return rtnVal
            End Get
        End Property

Public Function GetEnumerator() As IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)) Implements IEnumerable(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).GetEnumerator
        End Function

Private Function GetEnumerator1() As IEnumerator Implements IEnumerable.GetEnumerator
        End Function

Public Structure Enumerator
            Implements IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue))

Private m_dictionary As OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue)
            Private m_nextIndex As Integer
            Private m_current As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)

Friend Sub New(ByVal orderedDictionary As OrderedDictionary(Of TKey, TValue))
                m_dictionary = orderedDictionary
                m_nextIndex = 0
            End Sub

Public ReadOnly Property Current() As KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue) Implements IEnumerator(Of KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)).Current
                Get
                    Return New KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)(m_current.Key, m_current.Value)
                End Get
            End Property

Private ReadOnly Property Current1() As Object Implements IEnumerator.Current
                Get
                    Return Current
                End Get
            End Property

Public Function MoveNext() As Boolean Implements IEnumerator.MoveNext
                Dim rtnVal As Boolean = False

If m_nextIndex < m_dictionary.Count Then
                    rtnVal = True
                    Dim key As TKey = m_dictionary.m_keysInOrder(m_nextIndex)
                    m_current = New KeyValuePair(Of TKey, TValue)(key, m_dictionary.Item(key))
                    m_nextIndex += 1
                Else
                End If

Return rtnVal
            End Function

Public Sub Reset() Implements System.Collections.IEnumerator.Reset
                m_nextIndex = 0
            End Sub

Public Sub Dispose() Implements System.IDisposable.Dispose
            End Sub
        End Structure
    End Class

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Monday, November 14, 2005 11:38 PM
  • Thanks for your data structure class. :)

I was afraid it would end as something like this, but at least I have another opinion on the subject now so I feel less that I might have missed something, and I can maybe work with changing the design instead, or look into your class. ;) Hm, I may actually end up simply building a List alongside a Dictionary. That kind of overhead doesn't really matter as it's done outside a loop and the memory consumptions won't be big.

I can't really blame MS for this, as Hashtables normally *don't* have well-defined orderings, and only list-style structures have for sure. The problem is more that the code exploits a number of peculiarities with the VB6 design...
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:29 AM