none
Word: Normal.dot template menu bar

Question

• I have programmatically modified the Normal.dot menubar (adding more dummy options), and I want to get rid of all of them, permanently, to return to the original state and appearance of Normal. dot....

How can I achieve that, please?

thanks
    Monday, October 03, 2005 8:40 PM

Answers

• Here is some general information from one of our engineers that might be helpful.

Firstly, I’m not very sure how the ISV would like to reset the settings. However, to work around this problem, you must rename the Normal.dot global template. Word will re-create the template when you start the program. To rename the Normal.dot global template for Microsoft Office Word 2003, follow these steps:

Right-click Start and then click Explore.

Double-click the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Right-click the Normal.dot file and then click Rename.

Type oldnormal.dot and then press ENTER.

Close Windows Explorer.

To rename the Normal.dot global template for Microsoft Word 2002 and Microsoft Word 2000, follow these steps:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Type oldnormal.dot, and then press ENTER.

Close Windows Explorer.

Note When you rename the Normal.dot global template, several settings are reset to the default settings. These settings include custom styles, custom toolbars, macros, and AutoText entries. Therefore, we recommend that you do not delete the Normal.dot global template.

If the computer has more than one Normal.dot global template, make sure to rename the correct copy of the Normal.doc global template. More than one Normal.dot global template may be present in the following scenarios:

Multiple versions of Word are running on the same computer.

Several workstation installations exist on the same computer.

For more information about how to rename the Normal.dot global template, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

821715 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821715/) How to rename the Normal.dot global template in Word 2003

319154 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319154/EN-US/) How to rename the Normal.dot global template for Word 2002

If this is not what the ISV is looking for then we would like to get more information on his program and if possible sample code to reproduce it at our end and come up with possible workaround.

Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 4:25 PM
  • Per the engineer:

Please try the following steps to locate the Normal.dot: 

1. Open Microsoft Word
    2. Choose the menu “Tools” and then “Options”
    3. In the “Options” window, choose the “File Locations” tab
    4. In the list called “File Types” – select “User Templates” and click the button “Modify”
    5. The “Modify Location” dialog box would come up. Click on the down-arrow besides the “Look-in” Combobox to know the folder where the Normal.dot and other user templates are stored.
    6. Once you identify the folder, navigate to it in Windows Explorer. Close Microsoft Word and after that, you would be able to rename the Normal.dot

Thanks, -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Thursday, December 14, 2006 4:39 PM

All replies

• What version of Word are you using?

thanks,
    -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)
    Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:48 PM
  • Here is some general information from one of our engineers that might be helpful.

Firstly, I’m not very sure how the ISV would like to reset the settings. However, to work around this problem, you must rename the Normal.dot global template. Word will re-create the template when you start the program. To rename the Normal.dot global template for Microsoft Office Word 2003, follow these steps:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Type oldnormal.dot and then press ENTER.

Close Windows Explorer.

To rename the Normal.dot global template for Microsoft Word 2002 and Microsoft Word 2000, follow these steps:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Type oldnormal.dot, and then press ENTER.

Close Windows Explorer.

Note When you rename the Normal.dot global template, several settings are reset to the default settings. These settings include custom styles, custom toolbars, macros, and AutoText entries. Therefore, we recommend that you do not delete the Normal.dot global template.

If the computer has more than one Normal.dot global template, make sure to rename the correct copy of the Normal.doc global template. More than one Normal.dot global template may be present in the following scenarios:

Multiple versions of Word are running on the same computer.

Several workstation installations exist on the same computer.

For more information about how to rename the Normal.dot global template, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

821715 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821715/) How to rename the Normal.dot global template in Word 2003

319154 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319154/EN-US/) How to rename the Normal.dot global template for Word 2002

If this is not what the ISV is looking for then we would like to get more information on his program and if possible sample code to reproduce it at our end and come up with possible workaround.

Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 4:25 PM
  • HI I am new to this and would like some advice.

I purchased a new Vaio laptop and wanted to remove the MS Works and replace it with MS Office 2003 Professional.

The OS is windows XP Media centre (XP Professional)

I used the add/remove facility in settings/add/remove.

Office started ok and it wasn't until I tried to customize the toolbars in word that I found a fault. The customization settings to the toolbars be they Formatting, standard, etc could not be retained.

If I added or removed toolbar buttons, then exited from word and then returned to word, the settings were not retained. The settings were successful in the other applications Excel, Powerpoint, and the like. It only occurs in Word.

I searched for the normal.dot template but could not locate it using the search facility, look in hidden files and folders etc. I discovered that searching the MS Knowledge Base I could locate its seat.

I copied a Normal.dot template from my desktop and filed it in documents and settings/username/application data/office/templates.

I got the settings that were on the file but could still not make further customizations.

I have tried detect and repair, reinstallation and clean installation to no avail.

Can anyone help

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:21 PM
  • Hi

I am using MS Office 2003 Professional and the version of word is 11.00

I don't know if this is important, prior to installing MS Office 2003 there was, on the computer, a trial version of MS Office 2003 Standard Edition. I used Add/Remove to uninstall this programme. ??

Thanks

Tony

Friday, November 24, 2006 4:06 PM
  • Hi Brenda

I attempted the procedure you listed regarding the re-naming of the normal.dot file :

I went to the place you described, C:\Docoments and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, and could not find a "normal.dot" file.

I looked in C:\ ...........\Application Data\Templates and found "Normal.wpt" file. I assume that this belongs to MS Works??

I renamed it to "oldnormal.wpt".

I restarted the computer.

I opened word in Office 2003

Tried to customise the toolbar and it would not retain my customisation.

I then looked in the above directories and could not find a "Normal.dot" file anywhere ??

It seems to me that the normal.dot file is not being created by the program

What say you??

Monday, November 27, 2006 2:36 PM
  • Hi Brenda

I tried your workround solution alas it did not work. I am certain that the normal.dot file is not being created as I can find no reference to it when I do a search.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'm looking into this for you.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:52 PM
  • Per the engineer:

Please try the following steps to locate the Normal.dot: 

1. Open Microsoft Word
    2. Choose the menu “Tools” and then “Options”
    3. In the “Options” window, choose the “File Locations” tab
    4. In the list called “File Types” – select “User Templates” and click the button “Modify”
    5. The “Modify Location” dialog box would come up. Click on the down-arrow besides the “Look-in” Combobox to know the folder where the Normal.dot and other user templates are stored.
    6. Once you identify the folder, navigate to it in Windows Explorer. Close Microsoft Word and after that, you would be able to rename the Normal.dot

Thanks, -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Thursday, December 14, 2006 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem as anthonyAM444!!!!  I have located my Normal.dot file (the way you have described), renamed it and restarted word but it won't produce a new Normal.dot file.  Even if I move the file out of the template folder word starts no problem with all of the autocorrect corrections in place as if it is using a different file.  Please help.

Thanks,

Jason

Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:50 AM