none
Tankinator ver 0.03!!!!

General discussion

• Hey guys! I have completed the latest version of Tankinator! You can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t8tvn4b3eyyty3g

Features added:

1) Sound was added

2) random projectiles coming out of turrets bug fixed

3) added more turrets (There are 10 now)

4) changed the background picture

5) add a different type of tank

6) boosted the game performance

Please give input!! Thanks!

A spark to start a fire is necessary. But mainly you need dry kindling.

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:13 PM

All replies

• Much more challenging. And better performance.

The background makes it too hard to read the text.

Suggestions:

• What about white text instead of black text? That should make the text easier to read on the dark background.
    • When it says "Your score is" at the end... You should add a space after "is" and a period after the score.

First score...

33,925  |  91 kills

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Regarding:

• When it says "Your score is" at the end... You should add a space after "is" and a period after the score.

So in the highlight, I'm suggesting to add a space. And with the red dot a period.

Thanks! And thanks for the great improvements!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:58 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:59 AM
  • I will do that right away!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:00 AM
  • Oh, and I love all the bullets instead of the balls. Great job!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Nice! I tried it out. That is awesome.

I am an 11 year old that knows Small Basic and is learning Java and C. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:31 AM
  • What do you guys think of the sound?

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:53 AM
  • Sound... I turned the volume off because it was a bit loud. Like the gunshots though. No recommendations for improvement.

Here's my high score: 5,048,367. (Not the 50.8 million I got in version 0.02, but I think this version is harder.)

Great game!

Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Thank you! the sound and new turrets were the main thing in the version. ;)

Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Thank you! the sound and new turrets were the main thing in the version. ;)

Regarding Turrets...

I think the new turrets are good. I found the game too difficult to really experiment with the higher priced turrets. So I built up to placing the $500 and $1,000 turrets; anything that cost more was too expensive to place... I wouldn't have enough money to get enough turrets down.

I found the rail gun to be too expensive ($750) for such a short-range weapon. So I found that I only bought two before I gave up on it. I never bought anything over $1,000 because I couldn't afford it and was trying to survive by having enough turrets down.

Thanks!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:51 PM
  • I blogged about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2013/02/24/tankinator-ver-0-03-small-basic-featured-program.aspx

Let me know if you want me to change anything.

Thanks!

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:08 AM
  • I have one more gameplay suggestion... In addition to individually clicking a turret and right clicking a tank to aim at specific tanks. I'd like to just click a tank and have every turret within range to focus on that tank. That would come in handy big time.

Great additions in this version. Thanks, Zock!

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:54 AM
  • My new high score is 9,529,304 points and 528 kills:

I tried my strategy with a higher tip of the arrow. Essentially it's a diagonal line (click the image to see it bigger):

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Looks really good!  Very enjoyable and runs well.  A couple of bugs, but not the end of the world.

Suggestions:

• If you make the sound effects shorter, that can help cut down on the noise.
    • To improve performance, you could use an extension, particularly one that supports faster arrays and/or multithreading.
    • The health bars of tanks at the bottom of the screen are offscreen.  I would suggest adding padding around the entire map.
    • It would be nice to be able to see some stats (kills, points, etc.) on the pause screen.

Great job!

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Thanks!! I will try to put that in!!

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:51 PM