none
How to copy pivot table RESULT from Access to Excel

Question

• I need to produce a highly formated pivot table report in Access and can only achieve so much.  However, if I could programatically select the pivot table (equivalent of keys [Ctrl]+Angel) then copy and paste into Excel, I can use VBA to format the report in Excel.

My problem is that I cannot find a way to programatically select the pivot table in Access.  I have tried Sendkeys "^A" as a last resort but this doesn't work. Exporting to Excel doesn't work either as it exports the pivot table, not the result.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

Suggest that you try send the recordset (if it is small enough) to an Excel spreadsheet with can contain your pivot table .

I have an App which is too large for this so I work through the recordset and use VBA to write the data into the appropriate cells of my report spreadsheet. Both methods work OK

Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for your interest however the pivot table in Access can do things which I don't think Exel can.  In particular, I do not want to perform any kind of summary analysis on the data e.g. Sum, Count etc.  The Access Pivot table can show 'detail' e.g. text as well as summarised 'data'. It is the detail I want and can produce in Access, however I also want contitional formating and a few other things which pivot table forms can't do.

I therefore thought I would copy and paste the Access pivot table to Excel where I can complete the formatting using VBA but I am really stuck for a way to automate "Select All" i.e. pressing the "Control" key and the "A" key together.

Every other way I have tried e.g. exporting to Excel opens an Excel Pivot table.  This applies the Count function to the text details I am reporting which is not what I want.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 8:42 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Have you had any luck resolving this problem?

I am also trying to copy the results from a pivot table control and paste the results into Excel.

KD

Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:23 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem with a large dataset. I can export smaller result sets, but the query I'm using has over 150,000 rows: too many for Excel. However, the actual pivot table result only contains 4,500 rows

I tried Export - didn't work, too many rows. Tried Copy & Paste, got an "Out of Memory" error

Monday, October 09, 2006 10:45 PM
  • Try this.

"str_spreadsheet_name" holds the name of a file that has already been exported and Excel is open and running.

"obj_xls" then picks up the open spreadsheet.

It then creates pivot table called "Holdings" in the Excel sheet at AQ1, with rows being "rec_id", columns being "fund_name" and pivot field being "sum of fund_value".

It then copies the pivot table and does a patsespecial - values only. This removes all of the pivot table formatting.

It then tidies up the headings etc. If you run the process in debug you'll be able to see it working line by line.

Hope this is of use.

KD

Private Function reformat_fund_totals()

On Error GoTo Err_reformat_fund_totals

Dim rst_temp As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim cmd_sp As New ADODB.Command

Dim obj_xls As Object

Dim int_rows As Integer

Dim str_col As String

Dim str_addr As String

Dim objPivotCache As PivotCache

DoCmd.Hourglass True

DoCmd.Echo False

Set cnn_db = CurrentProject.Connection

Set obj_xls = CreateObject("Excel.Sheet")

Dim start_time As Long

Dim bool_isrunning As Boolean

start_time = Timer

bool_isrunning = False

On Error Resume Next    ' Defer error trapping.

Do While Timer < start_time + 30

Set obj_xls = GetObject(str_spreadsheet_name).Application

If Err.Number = 0 Then

bool_isrunning = True

Exit Do

End If

Err.clear    ' Clear Err object in case error occurred.

Loop

If bool_isrunning = False Then

DoCmd.Hourglass False

DoCmd.Echo True

MsgBox "Failure formatting report " & strReport_name & " - Please inform IT", vbCritical, "SIC"

Exit Function

End If

str_col = ""

int_rows = 0

If Forms!frm_rp05_parameters!holdings_reqd = "Y" Then

str_sql = "EXEC sp_rpt183_fund_holdings " & pub_session_id

Set cmd_sp.ActiveConnection = cnn_db

cmd_sp.CommandText = str_sql

cmd_sp.CommandType = adCmdText

cmd_sp.Execute

Set rst_temp.ActiveConnection = cnn_db

rst_temp.Open cmd_sp

' Create a PivotTable cache and report.

Set objPivotCache = obj_xls.ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Add(SourceType:=xlExternal)

Set objPivotCache.Recordset = rst_temp

With objPivotCache

.CreatePivotTable TableDestination:=obj_xls.Range("AQ1"), TableName:="Holdings"

End With

With obj_xls.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Holdings").PivotFields("rec_id")

.Orientation = xlRowField

.Position = 1

End With

With obj_xls.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Holdings").PivotFields("fund_name")

.Orientation = xlColumnField

.Position = 1

End With

obj_xls.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Holdings").AddDataField obj_xls.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Holdings").PivotFields("fund_value"), "Sum of fund_value", xlSum

DoEvents

obj_xls.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Holdings").PivotSelect "", xlDataAndLabel, True

obj_xls.Selection.Copy

obj_xls.Range("AQ1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

obj_xls.Range("AQ1:IV1").Delete Shift:=xlUp

obj_xls.columns("AQ:AR").Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

'Get last row of data

str_addr = obj_xls.Range("A1", obj_xls.Range("A1").End(xlDown)).Address

int_rows = Right(str_addr, Len(str_addr) - InStrRev(str_addr, "$"))

'Get last column of data

str_addr = obj_xls.Range("A1", obj_xls.Range("A1").End(xlToRight)).Address

str_col = Mid(str_addr, InStrRev(str_addr, ":") + 2, Len(str_addr) - InStrRev(str_addr, "$") + 1)

End If

obj_xls.columns.AutoFit

obj_xls.Rows.AutoFit

obj_xls.Range("A1").select

obj_xls.ActiveWorkbook.save

Set obj_xls = Nothing

Set objPivotCache = Nothing

Set cmd_sp = Nothing

Set rst_temp = Nothing

Exit_reformat_fund_totals:

DoCmd.Hourglass False

DoCmd.Echo True

Exit Function

Err_reformat_fund_totals:

DoCmd.Hourglass False

DoCmd.Echo True

If Err.Number = 2302 Then

str_sql = "A file is already open and must be closed before this data can be exported."

MsgBox str_sql, vbCritical, "SIC"

End If

MsgBox Err.description

Resume Exit_reformat_fund_totals

End Function

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:37 AM