Guidance Package Manager is disabled under Tools menu

Question

• Hi guys,

For some reason Guidance Package Manager is disabled for all of my Visual Studio Solutions. I can't get to enable it. I tried re-installing Guidance Automation Toolkit and Guidance Automation Extensions. It seems it is there but I can't click on it.

Do you know how can I get it back? There must be a settings somewhere.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

That switch may help only in the case that if the GAX package loading ever failed and you answered VS questions to not run the package anymore (eg. to add it to the 'skip' list of 'suspected' to fail packages) then you could bring it back to life by resetting that list, this may work assuming you have previously made some other change that will now allow the package to not fail while loading, otherwise most probably it's going to fail again.

I believe the problem Sy is describing is a little bit different.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:13 AM

All replies

•  

Someone from another post in this forum had the same issue and it was resolved by running VS like so:

devenv /ResetSkipPkgs

This command line argument is defined as:

Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Hi Sy,

You mean the menu item it is not there at all right? It's just missing? Because if what you're seeing is a DISABLED menu item (text is there, grayed out, no chances to click it) then that would be very weird.

It is that just the menu item is gone? Can you still see a "Guidance Packages" category under File->New Project?

If you can provide me with these answers this will help the guessing game.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Hi Jon,

That switch may help only in the case that if the GAX package loading ever failed and you answered VS questions to not run the package anymore (eg. to add it to the 'skip' list of 'suspected' to fail packages) then you could bring it back to life by resetting that list, this may work assuming you have previously made some other change that will now allow the package to not fail while loading, otherwise most probably it's going to fail again.

I believe the problem Sy is describing is a little bit different.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:13 AM
  • How to reset the VS list Victor?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:52 AM