Visual Basic .NET programming in Windows 8 ( Visual Studio 2012)?

Question

• I took a first look in Visual Studio 2012 for Windows 8 and did see all XAML and no .NET at all.

I find that very disappointing as I am a fan of Visual Basic programming in .NET.

Is there a workaround to make normal .NET applications in stead of APP's in XAML? Apart from not using Windows 8 of course!

• Edited by Syncan Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:00 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Exactly which Visual Studio 11 beta product did you install?

I have VS 11 Ultimate beta installed on the Windows 8 CP here, and all the VB Winform/WPF project templates are available.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I did the express one.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/downloads#express-win8

As far as I know the ultimate one will not be free, so it was no use for me to install that one.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:40 PM
  • In Express 2010, it appears you can only do Metro.

I'm sorry that answer will disappoint you, as it will so many of us.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:57 PM
  • This is totally unacceptable.  I teach programming to beginners using the Express version with Console applications and Windows Forms applications.  I don't even touch Web programming or any of the other options.  The main goal in my course is to teach the logic and structure inherent to all programming languages, and to keep it as simple as possible.

If Console and Windows Forms will not be available in VB Express 2012, then we will have to remain with 2010, or I may have to switch to teaching with a different programming language, such as Python.  I started out with QBasic but switched to VB.NET when the operating system no longer supported full-screen mode. 

I would really like to stay with VB, if the powers to be will cooperate and keep the previous options available in the new version.  Backwards compatibility is also important as I have hundreds of demo programs prepared over the years for use with my teaching courses, which I upgrade as needed.

Solitaire

Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:12 PM
  • I fully agree with you, Solitaire.

I am forced to use Sharp Develop, wich can be used in W8. I asked it. I cannot imagine that Microsoft want to chase people like me away from Visual Studio Express. They better put .NET in the Express version on Windows 8.

• Edited by Syncan Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:03 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:02 PM
  • This is totally unacceptable.  [...]

Hi, I agree with that and will switch to Linux and Java if they really leave hobbyist desktop-application-developers alone like that.

Regards,

Thorsten

Sunday, June 03, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hello, Solitaire.

You may be able to stay with VB if your school/department will get an academic subscription like this:

https://www.dreamspark.com/

That will allow you and your students to use a "full" VS 2012 edition that does include the project templates you want.

I realize this does no address the issue of what is/is not included in the VS 2012 Express editions, but faculty and students will continue to get full support via these types of subscriptions.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hello, Solitaire.

You may be able to stay with VB if your school/department will get an academic subscription like this:

https://www.dreamspark.com/

That will allow you and your students to use a "full" VS 2012 edition that does include the project templates you want.

I realize this does no address the issue of what is/is not included in the VS 2012 Express editions, but faculty and students will continue to get full support via these types of subscriptions.

That does only help a few. Give a solution for all of us.
    Sunday, June 03, 2012 1:39 PM
  • The school where I teach is part of a non-profit organization.  The salary they pay the faculty is very low (maybe half or a third) compared to other schools.  I don't believe they have the budget to pay for the dreamspark subscriptions.

Solitaire

Sunday, June 03, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I believe it's $99 per year and covers all faculty, students and labs no matter how many computers.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 1:46 AM
  • Hi Syncan,

Thanks for you post.

Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC version is also free right now. So you can use the Ultimate version right now. I’m sorry but the Express RC version is not support the applications you want.

Hope this helps. 

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Hi Syncan,

Thanks for you post.

Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC version is also free right now. So you can use the Ultimate version right now. I’m sorry but the Express RC version is not support the applications you want.

Hope this helps. 

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Just to be sure I understand you: You say the ultimate version can be free downloaded for the Windows 8 version and can be used without a limited timeframe?

If that's what you are saying, then yes, that is a solution. I only wonder if there are no limitations, why else would you choose for the other versions?

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Sycan,

I'm afraid that it is a workaround for VS2012 Express RC version not support the winform application. As we have no idea about the release version of VS2012. So I just suggest you to use Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC version to create the windows applications in VS2012.

>>You say the ultimate version can be free downloaded for the Windows 8 version and can be used without a limited timeframe?

I think there will be a time limit for you to use the Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 version freely. That's why it is just a workaround instead of a solution.   

Hope this clearer.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Monday, June 04, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Hi Sycan,

I'm afraid that it is a workaround for VS2012 Express RC version not support the winform application. As we have no idea about the release version of VS2012. So I just suggest you to use Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC version to create the windows applications in VS2012.

>>You say the ultimate version can be free downloaded for the Windows 8 version and can be used without a limited timeframe?

I think there will be a time limit for you to use the Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 version freely. That's why it is just a workaround instead of a solution.   

Hope this clearer.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Yes, that's clearer. That means it is a temporary workaround: If the timelimit has past, you have the same problem.

Still thanks for your answer.

Monday, June 04, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Microsoft has changed its mind:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/microsoft-extends-visual-studio-express-2012-desktop-apps-195242

• Marked as answer by Syncan Friday, June 08, 2012 11:25 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Huzzah!

Good call, Microsoft!

Friday, June 08, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Yeah! This is very good news :-))) Here's the Blog-entry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/08/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop.aspx

Regards,

Thorsten

• Marked as answer by Syncan Friday, June 08, 2012 11:24 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2012 10:02 PM
  • So glad to hear the good news!

Solitaire

Friday, June 08, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Great and unexpected news! So not for the current beta-version but for the one that arrives in the fall.
    Friday, June 08, 2012 11:24 PM