none
Upgrade From Enterprise Evaluation to Standard Edition

Question

• Dears,

I'm trying to upgrade from SQL 2012 Enterprise Evaluation to SQL 2012 Standard Edition.

but i got this error ( the Existing SQL is not SP1 while the media used is with SP1, is this a problem)

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The media may be intended for a 32-bit platform, but the instance installed is 64-bit. Or it could the other way around. If the existent instance is 64-bit, then the media used for the upgrade should be 64-bit, for example.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hi MedhatRizk.

When upgrading from SQL Server 2012 Evaluation to Standard Edition, we need to verify if you upgrade the version in some unsupported scenarios. For example, as Alberto post, cross-platform upgrade is not supported. Or you add new features during the upgrade of the existing instance of SQL Server.

If SQL Server still cannot be installed, please help us to collect the detailed error message and the following error log for troubleshooting.
    The log folders were located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt, and %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt.

In addition, you can upgrade an existing instance of SQL Server 2012 to a different edition of SQL Server 2012 from command prompt.
    Setup.exe /q /ACTION=editionupgrade /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /PID=<PID key for new edition>" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MedhatRizk Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The media may be intended for a 32-bit platform, but the instance installed is 64-bit. Or it could the other way around. If the existent instance is 64-bit, then the media used for the upgrade should be 64-bit, for example.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Mr. Morillo:

I have a similar issue :

On a SQL 2012 cluster , I had installed Evaluation edition and then upgraded to Enterprise edition.  However , When I fire up SSMS 2012 on one of the nodes I get error saying that the evaluation has expired.

On the other node SSMS runs fine.

Should I re-run the install and do a "repair " . It wants to repair everything. Since this is production , I am a bit hesitant.

Please advise ....

SQLCHANTer

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Hello,

Please try the answer provided by Allen Li on the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/9e50de75-6119-4963-8d5e-9d8b0367bc8e/evaluation-period-has-expired-sql-2012-ssms  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Hi MedhatRizk.

When upgrading from SQL Server 2012 Evaluation to Standard Edition, we need to verify if you upgrade the version in some unsupported scenarios. For example, as Alberto post, cross-platform upgrade is not supported. Or you add new features during the upgrade of the existing instance of SQL Server.

If SQL Server still cannot be installed, please help us to collect the detailed error message and the following error log for troubleshooting.
    The log folders were located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt, and %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt.

In addition, you can upgrade an existing instance of SQL Server 2012 to a different edition of SQL Server 2012 from command prompt.
    Setup.exe /q /ACTION=editionupgrade /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /PID=<PID key for new edition>" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MedhatRizk Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:33 AM