locked
Where do I buy the whole devkit for XBOX 360

    Question

  • I am working as a leturer in a University, and my department would like to developing game for XBOX 360 ,it's all for teachings only. So I am asking what do we need to develop a XBOX 360 game, and how much will it cost? Is there any beta devkit including the devBox?

    Any clues?

    Thanks  a lot.

    Friday, October 27, 2006 3:37 PM

Answers

  •  GeorgeOu wrote:

    I am working as a leturer in a University, and my department would like to developing game for XBOX 360 ,it's all for teachings only. So I am asking what do we need to develop a XBOX 360 game, and how much will it cost? Is there any beta devkit including the devBox?

    Any clues?

    Thanks  a lot.

     
    Requests to join the Xbox Registered Developer Program can be sent to xboxudev@microsoft.com.  However, your request won't be processed because of your academic status.  The Xbox Registered Developer Program is a highly restricted program limited to studios that are building retail games.  For academic, hobbyist, and arcade purposes, we have XNA.
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:01 PM
  • No.

    You will have to jump through the same hoops as you would to get a Nintendo kit. Quite honestly, if you have to ask how to you probably won't be able to get one.

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:44 PM
  • All replies

    • If you are just looking to develop games for the XBox360, you can do that at no cost if you use Microsoft's new XNA framework. The XNA framework is free and you develop with it using Microsoft's Visual C# Express Edition, which is also free.

      Using the XNA framework, you can create games for both the PC and the XBox 360 all at no cost.

      I also know that they are working with universities in conjunction with teaching game development using the XBox360 and the Microsoft XNA framework so I'm sure if you contact them they could walk you through how your university could become an affiliate in that program

      However, if you really are just looking for the XBox 360 dev kit, then none of this is really of any interest to you and hopefully someone else chimes in but I just wanted to let you know a little about XNA in case you hadn't heard of it before (which is entirely possible since it's currently still in beta although ramping up to be released soon).
      Friday, October 27, 2006 4:21 PM
    • Thanks George Clingerman, then who I should contact!
      Friday, October 27, 2006 9:44 PM
    • Well, I'm not sure who exactly you should contact, but you can try emailing the xna team at xna@microsoft.com and they should be able to point you in the right direction.


      Friday, October 27, 2006 10:30 PM
    •  GeorgeOu wrote:

      I am working as a leturer in a University, and my department would like to developing game for XBOX 360 ,it's all for teachings only. So I am asking what do we need to develop a XBOX 360 game, and how much will it cost? Is there any beta devkit including the devBox?

      Any clues?

      Thanks  a lot.

       
      Requests to join the Xbox Registered Developer Program can be sent to xboxudev@microsoft.com.  However, your request won't be processed because of your academic status.  The Xbox Registered Developer Program is a highly restricted program limited to studios that are building retail games.  For academic, hobbyist, and arcade purposes, we have XNA.
      Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:01 PM
  • I am an independent developer in HK. If I would like to develop games on Xbox 360 for public sales, how would be the requirement look like?
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 9:27 AM
  • As per the FAQ you will need to wait for XNA Game STudio Professional or become a licensed xbox developer. The XBox developer program is not trivial to get into and cost prohibitive for most small independant developers. You best chance is to wait for XNA Game STudio Professional.

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:10 AM
  • That means the cost is just the developer kit- I dont have to do registration like those Nintendo programs in order to publish a game, correct?
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:28 AM
  • No.

    You will have to jump through the same hoops as you would to get a Nintendo kit. Quite honestly, if you have to ask how to you probably won't be able to get one.

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:44 PM
  •  SamuraiDan wrote:

    As per the FAQ you will need to wait for XNA Game STudio Professional or become a licensed xbox developer. The XBox developer program is not trivial to get into and cost prohibitive for most small independant developers. You best chance is to wait for XNA Game STudio Professional.

    AndyL,

    I don't get it. This message seems telling me if I am independent developer I just need to buy XNA Game Studio Pro which will release next year. Why you are telling me I have to go thru those Nintendo company background check stuff on Xbox too? Is there a page I could refer to regarding the license procedure?

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:30 PM
  • Game Studio Pro does not even exist at the moment, and no details have been released about it, what it will be capable of, or who it will be made available to. You may (or may not) have to be a registered developer with a proper dev kit - the FAQ originally stated that the pro version would be for registered developers only, although I'm not sure if it still does.

    Right now, having a dev kit and thus being a registered developer is the only way you can develop commercial games for the 360.

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:18 PM
  •  George Clingerman wrote:
    If you are just looking to develop games for the XBox360, you can do that at no cost if you use Microsoft's new XNA framework. The XNA framework is free and you develop with it using Microsoft's Visual C# Express Edition, which is also free.

    Using the XNA framework, you can create games for both the PC and the XBox 360 all at no cost.

    I also know that they are working with universities in conjunction with teaching game development using the XBox360 and the Microsoft XNA framework so I'm sure if you contact them they could walk you through how your university could become an affiliate in that program

    However, if you really are just looking for the XBox 360 dev kit, then none of this is really of any interest to you and hopefully someone else chimes in but I just wanted to let you know a little about XNA in case you hadn't heard of it before (which is entirely possible since it's currently still in beta although ramping up to be released soon).

    In order to create, test or play games on the retail Xbox 360, you will need to purchase a membership to the XNA Creators Club.  The annual rate is $99 USD/year or $49 USD every 4 months.  XNA Game Studio Express and the XNA Framework on Windows is absolutely free.

     

     GeorgeOu wrote:

    I am working as a leturer in a University, and my department would like to developing game for XBOX 360 ,it's all for teachings only. So I am asking what do we need to develop a XBOX 360 game, and how much will it cost? Is there any beta devkit including the devBox?

    Any clues?

    Thanks  a lot.

    GeorgeOu - you can get started on your curriculum design using our newly released Beta 2 today and come Dec 11, you will be able to get the Xbox 360 consoles from your favorite retailer and incorporate them into your classrooms or computer labs. 

    Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:09 PM
  • If I would like some kind of humand-machine interactive game using the XBOX live camera,is it possible?

    I have read throught the XNA document,  and I havn't found any information about that

    Monday, November 06, 2006 12:19 AM
  • If you're talking about writing commercial games for the Xbox 360, you'll need an actual 360 Dev kit, which average joes don't have access to. You'll need a tie to a development studio from what I've read. XNA doesn't currently support the Xbox Live Vision Camera, but that doesn't mean that you can't suggest support through Microsoft Connect.
    Monday, November 06, 2006 12:31 AM
  • Looking at the reply from David Weller, who is with MSFT, it looks like that the full dev kit will not be needed to be able to make Live Arcade games.

    Quoted from above.

    The Xbox Registered Developer Program is a highly restricted program limited to studios that are building retail games. For academic, hobbyist, and arcade purposes, we have XNA.

    The key part to notice is the "for academic, hobbyist, and arcade" you can use XNA, which you only need Game Studio Express and a subscription to the
    XNA Creators Club.

    If I'm incorrect MSFT, please let me know.
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 8:15 PM