none
SSRS Reports are slow when using SSAS as data source

Question

• Hi All,

When I generate SSRS reports using SSAS cubes, The report performance is very slow. When I browsed the same in SSAS cubes fetches it fast.

Thanks,

Saranya Manickam

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Saranya,

Report server performance is affected by a combination of factors that include hardware, number of concurrent users accessing reports, the amount of data in a report, and output format.

To find out how long it takes to process a report and which process phase take more time, we can review the report server execution log. We can use the report execution log to find out how often a report is requested, what formats are used the most, and how many milliseconds of processing time is spent on each processing phase.

If all reports are processing slowly or the user request is larger, consider a scale-out deployment and use load balancing software to distribute requests evenly across the deployment.
    For more information, please see: Performance (Reporting Services)

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply...I have upgraded the ram to 16GB eventhough the data processed from SSAS cubes is very slow ,when I execute it in the Query Designer itself. The Same Query which I have executed in SSAS it is fetching the results in fraction of seconds. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Saranya,

Report server performance is affected by a combination of factors that include hardware, number of concurrent users accessing reports, the amount of data in a report, and output format.

To find out how long it takes to process a report and which process phase take more time, we can review the report server execution log. We can use the report execution log to find out how often a report is requested, what formats are used the most, and how many milliseconds of processing time is spent on each processing phase.

If all reports are processing slowly or the user request is larger, consider a scale-out deployment and use load balancing software to distribute requests evenly across the deployment.
    For more information, please see: Performance (Reporting Services)

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply...I have upgraded the ram to 16GB eventhough the data processed from SSAS cubes is very slow ,when I execute it in the Query Designer itself. The Same Query which I have executed in SSAS it is fetching the results in fraction of seconds. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Hi Saranya,

In Reporting Services, the total time to generate a report can be divided into three parts, TimeDataRetrieval, TimeProcessing and TimeRendering. In your scenario, the TimeDataRetrieval is short, but the total time is long, So the issue seems related to TimeProcessing or TimeRendering, you can use the query below to see which part takes long time:
    SELECT Itempath, TimeStart,TimeDataRetrieval + TimeProcessing + TimeRendering as [total time],
          TimeDataRetrieval
    , TimeProcessing, TimeRendering, ByteCount, [RowCount],Source
    FROM ExecutionLog3
    WHERE itempath like '%reportname'

And then refer to the link below to troubleshoot the report performance:
    My report takes too long to process
    My report takes too long to render

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:54 AM