none
call webservice at regular time intervals from orchestration

Question

• Hi All,

How can we call a webservice at regular timeintervals from the biztalk orchestration basically I am looking at polling a webservice from the orchestration.

Do let me know. Thanks.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you want to instantiate orchestration that consumes a webservice (i.e. calling it) or have a running orchestration that will poll web service from time to time. First you can use scheduled task adapter to instantiate orchestration. Second option you create a singleton orchestration with loop that will call service within certain interval (this is set by delay shape in the loop).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Yes I need to poll the web service from an orchestration with some specified time interval for which:

1. I need to first instantiate (activate) the orchestration that calls the webservice
    2. then I need to poll (calling) the webservice at specified time interval

I guess I can activate the orchestration using the task schedular for the first time and then run a loop with a time interval to poll the webservice at specified time interval.

Please do let me know your thoughts on the same and if there's any documentation on how to use this Task Schedular adapter with BTS 2010. Thanks.

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:42 AM
  • I would use the SQL scheduler to either copy at file to a receive location or insert a record into a SQL table (similar to the scheduler adapter).  This would kick off an orchestration the orchestration would poll your web services, get the results and either submit the results to another orchestration via a direct bound port or process them in the polling orchestration and the polling orchestration would end.

This is a simple solution and by using the SQL scheduler you have far more control of the polling interval that with most other schedulers.

Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Any documentaion on how to use BizTalk Task Schedular in BizTalk 2010 ?, I was not able to find anything on CodePlex

My only requirement is to trigger the orchestration as I have mentioned above and then the orchestration could poll the webservice within the loop shape

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:26 AM
  • I guess it might work in BTS 2010 http://biztalkscheduledtask.codeplex.com/

You could also take advantage of scheduling feature in SQL Server Agent to schedule a job which you use to trigger BizTalk.

Thanks, Raja
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:30 PM