Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on 'ss', or the object does not exist.

Question

• Hello, I used vsts gdr to generate the sql script.

When I try to test it, it creates all the objects, but I get thousands of errors in these lines

EXECUTE sp_addextendedproperty @name = N'MS_Description', @value = N'Entrada 1 de Caudales', @level0type = N'SCHEMA', @level0name = N'dbo', @level1type = N'TABLE', @level1name = N'BalancesHidrologicos', @level2type = N'COLUMN', @level2name = N'entrada1';

Please dont tell me that I should disable extended properties because I need them.

All of them are the same error

Thanks

MCPD ENTERPRISE APPLICATIONS DEVELOPER
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:39 PM

Answers

• Luis,

This issue has been confirmed as a bug.  Until this issue is fixed a workaround is to put the extended property in the post deployment script.  Here is an example:

IF EXISTS
    (SELECT * FROM sys.extended_properties WHERE name = 'MyExtProp')
    	EXEC sp_updateextendedproperty 'MyExtProp', 'The value is...' 
    ELSE
    	EXEC sp_addextendedproperty 'MyExtProp', 'The value is...' 

Barclay Hill Program Manager VSTS: DB Team (DataDude, DBPro, Database Edition) Please mark the responses as answer if it resolves your question.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Luis,

What time of Object is 'ss'? Also, are all the errors on 'ss'? If It would be possible for me to get some of your scripts, or your project to look at, It would help me in looking into this issue.

Thanks,

ChristianWhitehead
    Software Development Engineer In Test II
    Visual Studio Team System Database Edition
    Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I can send you the full .sql file, Please tell me where can I send you this file to

Thanks

MCPD ENTERPRISE APPLICATIONS DEVELOPER
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:53 PM
  • you can email it to Chrwhit@microsoft.com

Thanks,

Christian.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:29 PM
  • There was a bug here, and we expect a fix in a future release.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Luis,

This issue has been confirmed as a bug.  Until this issue is fixed a workaround is to put the extended property in the post deployment script.  Here is an example:

IF EXISTS
    (SELECT * FROM sys.extended_properties WHERE name = 'MyExtProp')
    	EXEC sp_updateextendedproperty 'MyExtProp', 'The value is...' 
    ELSE
    	EXEC sp_addextendedproperty 'MyExtProp', 'The value is...' 

Barclay Hill Program Manager VSTS: DB Team (DataDude, DBPro, Database Edition) Please mark the responses as answer if it resolves your question.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Hello 

The last week i migrated a database project to GDR R2 and after that the deploy script aparently has a bug.
       All my columns has extended properties then when i try to deploy, the script is generated but when i try to deploy to database, it fails. The problems is: the "execute sp_addextendedproperty"  are first, before create tables statments. Then, the error is obvious:

Database.dbschema(0,0)Error TSD01268: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 15135, Level 16, State 4, Procedure sp_addextendedproperty, Line 37 Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on 'inv.inv_invoice.categoryId', or the object does not exist.

Please, someone could tell me if this is a vsts db bug?
    I need the extended properties, ignore them not is an option. I need to deploy the database from team foundation build and for this reason i need the deploy process totally automatic.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Eric,

Is this failure duing an incremental or full deployment?  I would assume incremental as full should not have an issue.  Have extended properites just been added to the object(s) or have they always been there.

There was no change to how extended properties are handled in GDR R2.  Can you provide me a sample schema of the extended properties and what objects they are attached to?  You can reach me through http://blogs.msdn.com/vstsdb/contact.aspx.

Thanks,
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Hi

The Deployment is full.
    I have created a new database with a table with a column with a extended property and the deploy was correct. Then my first conclusion is that the bug is difficult to reproduce. My real database has five schemas and many things. I am willing to send you the complete schema to help but I need your email.

Thanks for your response,
    Eric
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Eric,

You can send it to me at [BAHILL] [AT] [MICROSOFT] [DOT] [COM].

Thanks,
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Sorry for bringing up an old conversation, but I'm having the same problem, and the temporary solution can't be used in my situation as I need the extended properties script to be automatically generated like with the script functions and you can’t automatically script out an update function, I’ve tried a few solutions for example.But I haven’t found a way to get access to all the values used in extended propretites, I’m I missing something are is there another way of doing this. Or has the bug been fixed, I’m still getting the problem maybe I need to update ?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:14 PM