SQL Open File attempt - ZoneAlarm detects attempt to access web ????

Question

• Most strange occurrence here.

ZoneAlarm Firewall traps an attempt to go looking for PDC_SDK.DLL following a cnn1.Open() attempt from within my small project. I have such a dll on my PC but it's associated with a REA (?) program by Eastman Kodam - so nothing to do with my SQL project. My code is simply:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

'instantiate an instance of the SqlConnection class as a variable 'named cnn1

'"localhost" points at default instance of SQL Server on local computer

'"Integrated Security=SSPI" specifies Windows security

Dim cnn1 As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=localhost;" & "Integrated Security=SSPI;" & _

"Initial Catalog=GuardianRun")

MessageBox.Show("Connection parameters instantiated.")

'the above saves, builds and executes ok

'explicitly open the instance of a SqlConnection object

cnn1.Open()

MessageBox.Show("Connection succeeded.")

'the above database Open attempt tries to access the internet looking for PDC_SDK.DLL (according to ZoneAlarm) 

Has anyone any suggestions?

'it appears to me that Guardian is looking for a Catalog elsewhere ?

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:01 AM

Answers

• When Zone Alarm blocks an attempt to connect to the internet, it usually gives the IP address that the caller tried to access. Try looking this up using a WHOIS lookup. I've found many a time with many Microsoft products that they try to make an attempt to connect to some Microsoft website, probably to collect some sort of usage data. Unless it's essential to the functioning of your program to access the internet, just set access to the trusted zone to allowed, and access to the internet to block.
    Friday, March 24, 2006 6:03 AM

All replies

• 2 red herrings to note:

The above code all resides in the Button1_click sub, not the Form1_Load sub. Appatently the paste of the code screwed things up. Sorry if it was misleading.

The 2nd red herring is that the reference to the DLL being missing comes from ZoneAlarm so that can be disregarded. Thank heavens for that!

So the problem is simply that the attempt to Open() the database, is for some reason trying to connect to the web!, instead of my existing physical SQL database "GuardianRun".

Hmmmm. I think I'll log off the web, zap ZoneAlarm and see if my project runs any differently. If the problem disappears, then I've uncovered a messy conflict between VB2005E and ZoneAlarm. I'll keep u posted.

Friday, February 24, 2006 5:38 AM
  • Further datas: The problem is not due to a conflict with ZoneAlarm. ZA is just doing its job.

The error message displayed is in part "Unhandled exception... An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005 etc etc.

But I'm not connecting to that, I'm connecting to SQL Server 2005 Express! or at least I think I am. Somehow I think that is another red herring caused by the error code not being updated to refer to Express, in SQL Server 2005 Express. MVB team please note this possibility.

Meanwhile back to the books. Unless there is an expert out there

Allen

Friday, February 24, 2006 5:54 AM
  • When Zone Alarm blocks an attempt to connect to the internet, it usually gives the IP address that the caller tried to access. Try looking this up using a WHOIS lookup. I've found many a time with many Microsoft products that they try to make an attempt to connect to some Microsoft website, probably to collect some sort of usage data. Unless it's essential to the functioning of your program to access the internet, just set access to the trusted zone to allowed, and access to the internet to block.
    Friday, March 24, 2006 6:03 AM