none
How to escape and unescape greater than and less than sign when creating a xml string

Question

• Hello

I am writing a small visual basic  application to transfer data from an old SQL server database to new one.

( structure of old and new database is not similar)

so to do the transfer , I extract data row wise and create an xml string like this

strProductXML = "<Data><ProdID>" & strProdID & "</ProdID>" & _
                 "<ProdColor>" & rowSQL("ProdColor") & "</ProdColor><ProdUser>" & rowSQL("ProdData") & _
                "</ProdUser><ProdYear>" & rowSQL("ProdYear") & "</ProdYear></Data>"

But the problem is rowSQL("ProdData") : this column can have values that contain less than(<) and greater than sign (>)

Proddata can have data like

"The front size measure is 6 inches <9rear face size."

"The units produced > year 1999"

" rear 9cm>front face at height of 8"

due to such data when I use this   

xmlDOM.LoadXml(strXML)

in my code , i get error because those > and < signs make my XML string wrong.

Is there any way to escape it, while creating the XML String but Unescape it when this is being inserted back into database.

I use a stored procedure to insert my data. That stored procedure is called by my VB code.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may use CData to wrap the content that may contain < or > signs. There is an example @ http://www.w3schools.com/XML/xml_cdata.asp.
    • Marked as answer by Cimonp Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Ideally, you should not create Xml document by concatenating strings. The best way to create an xml document is to use XmlWriter. It will ensure that the document you create is a valid Xml document. It will always encode characters if necessary/possible. Example:

writer.WriteStartElement("root");
            writer.WriteString("abc > xyz ?");
            writer.WriteEndElement();

results in the following:

<root>abc &gt; xyz ?</root>

Which is a valid Xml document where the '>' character was replaced with the built-in entity &gt;

Pawel 

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:42 AM