XP CardSpace loading problem

Question

• I think it's time I gave up, trying to get Card Space 3.0.0.0 to run on my Windows XP computer.  I've installed .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 SP1.  Several times I've tried the "Repair .NET Framework" option, didn't help.  I never received any instructions, just an icon appeared on my Control Panel, on how to start and/or use Card Space.  I've read numberous post, trying to figure out what is going on, I've written Microsoft Support (No Pay, No Help), and used Google and Yahoo, to search for help.  Pretty much all of the instructions I can find, relate to problems using Card Space on Vista.  In my System32 folder, I do have the acardagt file, but I don't see the program in my running processes.  The infocard program does show it is a running process..    
      The only clue I have to the Card Space program being on my PC, is the Windows Card Space icon, in the Control Panel.  When I click on that icon, I get an error message An error occurred while accessing the Windows CardSpace.  Check event log for more details..  The two errors in the event viewer are "Failed to open store" and "An Invalid file path was specified".. Both show event #257.  Clicking on the event.asp support link just brings up the "We're Sorry" screen, no help there..
      All these problems don't seem worth it, how can I get rid of the Card Space program, it's not listed in the Add/Remove programs section.  Sounds like the program might be a good idea, if I could get it to work or even some information about the program..

Original post was to the wrong Forum.. Reposted here..  Can the other post be closed?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers

• Yes, MCE = Media Center Edition.

I tried the same thing, reinstalling .NET Frameworks from 1.0 through 3.5 and all the service packs in between at least twice, if not three times. I deleted all the CardSpace stuff out of the "local" and "roaming" Application Data folders. I had nearly given up and was preparing to reinstall Windows, as the Live Mesh Cleanup tool Microsoft sent me didn't help either. Just off a hunch, I tried creating a new user account for myself and that seemed to fix it. I had to move over all my files, and that being said it's not exactly the most elegant fix as it may take some time if you have a lot of files to move. The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard can help, though.

If you want to try it, just make a new user account and install Live Mesh in it and see what happens before you move all your files in case that doesn't fix it for you.

I had the Live Mesh team document that the cleanup tool didn't help, but creating a new user account did. I was told that I am the only user where that utility didn't fix this particular problem. They said they would make note of it and continue "investigating the issue," which I assume means ignore my instance because I don't think they believe me when I told them I followed their directions exactly as provided. Regardless, if a new user account works for you too it probably means somewhere buried deep in these user account profiles something is getting corrupted. Unfortunately they nor we have been able to isolate what it is yet.
    • Marked as answer by PC_confused Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:42 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:21 AM

All replies

• Same thing is happening to me. I have found no working solution thus far, but I'll let you know if I come across anything.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Do you use romaing profiles?
    Do you use FAT file system?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:26 PM
  •   Rakesh,  
      Thank you for replying to my question.  First off, I don't understand what you mean by "Romaing Profiles?".  As far as I know, I only log in and use one account. 
      As to your second question, I am using Windows XP Media Edition 2002 which I think works using NTFS and I have about 456 GB of space for it, but there is a small amount 9 GB of FAT32 that is used for the HP_Recovery Partition.  Does this answer your questions? 
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Then you are not using roaming profiles. Roaming profiles allows you to login to multiple computers on a domain and use the same profile that's stored on a server. Windows XP MCE doesn't have domain support.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:10 AM
  •   xpxp2002,

Thank you for clearing that up.  Does that help or hinder the problem with Card Space?  I guess your XP MCE is XP Media Center Edition..  I'll watch for that XP MCE in the future.  First time I've seen it listed like that.  Saves a lot of hunting and pecking..  Have you found a solution yet?  I wonder if removing and reinstalling all of those versions of .Net Framework  would correct the problem?  Lot of effort for something I'll probably not use.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Yes, MCE = Media Center Edition.

I tried the same thing, reinstalling .NET Frameworks from 1.0 through 3.5 and all the service packs in between at least twice, if not three times. I deleted all the CardSpace stuff out of the "local" and "roaming" Application Data folders. I had nearly given up and was preparing to reinstall Windows, as the Live Mesh Cleanup tool Microsoft sent me didn't help either. Just off a hunch, I tried creating a new user account for myself and that seemed to fix it. I had to move over all my files, and that being said it's not exactly the most elegant fix as it may take some time if you have a lot of files to move. The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard can help, though.

If you want to try it, just make a new user account and install Live Mesh in it and see what happens before you move all your files in case that doesn't fix it for you.

I had the Live Mesh team document that the cleanup tool didn't help, but creating a new user account did. I was told that I am the only user where that utility didn't fix this particular problem. They said they would make note of it and continue "investigating the issue," which I assume means ignore my instance because I don't think they believe me when I told them I followed their directions exactly as provided. Regardless, if a new user account works for you too it probably means somewhere buried deep in these user account profiles something is getting corrupted. Unfortunately they nor we have been able to isolate what it is yet.
    • Marked as answer by PC_confused Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:42 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:21 AM
  • XPXP2002 thank you for the followup and suggested solution.  Rather than go through all of that, and I'd probably mess something else up and really have a problem, I'll just go ahead and mark your reply as the answer and close this post.  I would like to just forget about using the program and go ahead and delete it, but it won't even let you delete the program..  What a waste of time..

Thank you again for "YOUR" followup..
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:42 AM