none
Sending SSRS to Blackberry in MTHML format

Question

• We are having some very strange formatting problems when viewing an SSRS report on a Blackberry.  We are using SSRS 2008.  This report was converted from SSRS 2005 and we never had any problems viewing the 2005 version of the report on a Blackberry.  But in SSRS 2008 the formatting is terrible.  In fact, one particular column shows up as "dots" in most rows (but not all).  We are sending the report to customers through email, executing the report on a daily basis using a subscription.  We are rending the report in Web Archive (MTHML) format.

Here is the strange part about this report.  I am also receiving this report but I view it in Outlook.  Everything looks fine.  If I forward this report to the customers everything looks fine on their Blackberry.  It is only when the report is sent from the SSRS subscription directly to the customer when the report is formatted incorrectly.

Any ideas on what can be causing this problem and how it can be resolved?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi eekstein,

By design, SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS) uses the same extension to render a report to Web Archive(MTHML) regardless the recipient . This means the embedded MHTML will be exact same when delivering the report to an internal user or a external user who is using Blackberry.

In this case, the issue may be caused by the Blackberry modifies the embedded report from the specified sender.

To troubleshoot the issue, could you please change the sender(From) or change the SMTP server for the Email delivery? And then check if the issue is resolved. Or, please use another Blackberry to verify if the issue happens too.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:05 AM
  • We have the same issue in the same environment SSRS 2008 and report format web archive (MHTML).

In our case the reports in blackberry looks oddly, as Blackberries add blank lines which does not appears on the PC email clients. These blank lines makes the lecture of the reports in the blackberries a difficult task.

Is there any way to control the format of the HTML code  that SSRS uses to send the reports ? I think that with this we will be able to handle the problem.

Thanks for your help

Pedro Sánchez

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Pedro,

May be we can try using other mail client in the Blackberry to fix the issue.

In SSRS side, to control the format of the HTML code, we need to implement custom render extension.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:53 AM
  • We have the same issue, did you find any solution?

Thanks!

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Why do I have to implement a custom render extension with SQL2008 and not SQL2005?

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Can I configure SSRS 2008 to correctly email reports the way that SSRS 2005 does?  Or will this be fixed in SSRS 2016?
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:13 PM
  • We have the same issue, did you find any solution?

Thanks!

Friday, April 05, 2013 2:04 PM
  • I have the same issue, any solution here? 
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:31 PM
  • SSRS did not work well at all for the Black Berry.

I did a custom text only dashboard purely through T-SQL.

Regards,

Craig P

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:36 PM