none
Power Query link to power pivot is lost

General discussion

• Hi

As I'm starting using PowerQuery to import big text files into Power query (thanks to this forum help!) I bumped into an issue: sometimes the link betweek a Query and the Datamodel tab is lost. Which means that the next time I refresh the query data, a new tab will be created into the datamodel instead of using the previously generated tab.

As I've added calculated columns and measures into the first tab, this is obviously an issue. I haven't renamed the query in the process (which I found out would always create a new tab with the new name in the datamodel).

Can someone explain to me why this happens and if there is a way to connect back a specific query to a given datamodel tab?

Thanks!

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

As I'm starting using PowerQuery to import big text files into Power query (thanks to this forum help!) I bumped into an issue: sometimes the link betweek a Query and the Datamodel tab is lost. Which means that the next time I refresh the query data, a new tab will be created into the datamodel instead of using the previously generated tab.

As I've added calculated columns and measures into the first tab, this is obviously an issue. I haven't renamed the query in the process (which I found out would always create a new tab with the new name in the datamodel).

Can someone explain to me why this happens and if there is a way to connect back a specific query to a given datamodel tab?

Thanks!

If the link is lost inside Power Query, should this be moved to the Power Query forum? Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Let's try this question in the Power Query forum (was in the Power Pivot forum).

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Can you tell us what were you doing when the link is lost? Was it something in Power Pivot or in Power Query?

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:02 PM