none
How do I get Windows Mobile 5 into Visual Studio 2008 Professional?

Question

• I have VS2008 Professional "clean installed" from a CD running on a WinXP Professional PC.

I downloaded and installed SP1 from Microsoft. Now, my product is Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Version 9.0.30729.1 SP with .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1.

New Project > Visual C# > Smart Device > Smart Device Project (.NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5 seems to make no difference). Under Target Platform, all I have listed are:

1. Pocket PC
    2. Windows CE
    3. Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK

I have gone to Microsoft Download, downloaded the following files, and installed them in this order:
    1. NETCFSetupv2.msi - after installation, I rebooted my PC
    2. Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK.msi - after installation, I rebooted my PC
    3. Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh.msi - after installation, I rebooted my PC
    Went back into VS2008Pro, and there was still no Windows Mobile 5 project option.

Went to Add/Remove Programs, uninstalled WM5 SDK, rebooted, installed WM5 SDK again, rebooted, opened VS2008Pro, and there was still no Windows Mobile 5 project option.

I went in to repair VS2008Pro through the Add/Remove Programs, rebooted, opened VS2008Pro, and there was still no Windows Mobile 5 project option.

I went to Add/Remove Programs again, selected VS2008, chose Add/Remove features, and saw that the only item not selected was Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. I checked that to install, put my original VS2008Pro DVD in my drive, and clicked Update.

VS2008 Setup gave me this message: A selected drive is no longer valid. Please review your installation path settings before continuing with setup.

Only one (1) installation path is shown: @"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\"; however, the text box and the Browse buttons are both disabled, so I can not make any changes to them.

In the SQL Server folder reverenced above, I have the following folders installed already:
    • MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS
    • MSSQL.1
    I also have SQL Server CE 3.5, but it is in another folder.

Could someone shed light on why I am unable to access the WM5 SDK?

The biggest issue is that we have several WM5 devices here, and I have an application that I wrote for WM5 that was working when I last did some debugging on it a month or so back. This week, I tried to access it, found all of the controls in the toolbar (Labels, TextBoxs, Buttons, Panels, etc.) were not available. I tried resetting the toolbar, deleting any .PTB files from my Local Settings folder (there were none), tried creating a new WM5 project, then noticed the whole WM5 SDK was no longer linked to VS2008.

Any idea how I can fix this?

A cab file of the error log is located here (I don't know how to read it, though): http://sites.google.com/sites/jp2code/home/list/vslogs.cab

Avoid Sears Home Improvement
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:14 PM

Answers

• I found the solution.

The problem comes from Microsoft's Automatic Updates: One of the numerous Hot Fixes (that says something like, "Fixes a problem that could cause someone to take control of your system") or Malicious Software Updates disables Windows Mobile 5 on Windows XP systems.

Unfortunately, due to the vague descriptions given my Microsoft and the hundreds of updates, I was not able to tell which one (or ones) caused the problem.

To fix, you will have to uninstall Visual Studio, reboot, then reinstall it.

I suggest after you remove Visual Studio, do one last check on Microsoft's Updates site and get all you want. After you reboot and reinstall Visual Studio, do not allow it to run again. After all, Microsoft isn't really putting out much that is useful for (the best Windows OS out there) Windows XP anymore.

The next time Windows Update presents you with a Hot Fix or Malicious Software Update, do not install it. If you just stop downloading those updates the next time you get Visual Studio installed with Windows Mobile 5 installed, you should have no problems.

If you have decent antivirus software, you shouldn't need Microsoft's "Last Act of Defence" with their Malicious Software Update, and all of the Hot Fixes are focused more towards Vista and Win7 systems anyway.
    • Marked as answer by jp2code Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:03 PM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi jp2msft,

I Suggest you reinstalled the "R2" WM5.0 SDKs from VS2008 DVD. It is in:

\WCU\WindowsMobileSDK

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by jp2code Friday, November 20, 2009 3:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jp2code Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:04 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Hi jp2msft,

I Suggest you reinstalled the "R2" WM5.0 SDKs from VS2008 DVD. It is in:

\WCU\WindowsMobileSDK

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Want to hear something else that will just blow your mind? In Visual Studio's "Device Manager", I can see everything that is installed: Pocket PC 2003, Windows Mobile 5, and Windows Mobile 6.

I got your email a little late. I came in first thing this morning with the mindset to just uninstall everything and install it again.

I can't believe I've lost a whole week of production due to Microsoft's products being incompatible with one another.

I'll mark your response as the answer, but Visual Studio is almost completely removed at this point. I don't know for sure if your suggestion would have worked (just in case someone later tries to follow these debugging steps).

Friday, November 20, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Did you ever fix this as I have the same problem too.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:10 AM
  • I found the solution.

The problem comes from Microsoft's Automatic Updates: One of the numerous Hot Fixes (that says something like, "Fixes a problem that could cause someone to take control of your system") or Malicious Software Updates disables Windows Mobile 5 on Windows XP systems.

Unfortunately, due to the vague descriptions given my Microsoft and the hundreds of updates, I was not able to tell which one (or ones) caused the problem.

To fix, you will have to uninstall Visual Studio, reboot, then reinstall it.

I suggest after you remove Visual Studio, do one last check on Microsoft's Updates site and get all you want. After you reboot and reinstall Visual Studio, do not allow it to run again. After all, Microsoft isn't really putting out much that is useful for (the best Windows OS out there) Windows XP anymore.

The next time Windows Update presents you with a Hot Fix or Malicious Software Update, do not install it. If you just stop downloading those updates the next time you get Visual Studio installed with Windows Mobile 5 installed, you should have no problems.

If you have decent antivirus software, you shouldn't need Microsoft's "Last Act of Defence" with their Malicious Software Update, and all of the Hot Fixes are focused more towards Vista and Win7 systems anyway.
    • Marked as answer by jp2code Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:03 PM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:03 PM