Frequent "Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy" hangs after installing SP1 (released 11 Aug 2008)

Question

• I'm doing fairly vanilla WPF development on Vista.  Since installing SP1 I frequently encounter situations where VS2008 appears to hang.  Then I get a "Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy" message from the "Delay Notification" tray icon, encouraging me to report this problem.

I had also installed SP1 on another machine.  I now get these hangs on that machine too.  I had never seen this kind of hang before installing SP1.

I cannot easily characterize the circumstances under which these hangs occur.  Several times I was just opening a XAML file.  I am not using the WPF designer at all, so those windows always display the XAML view, not the Design view.  (Sorry, I don't remember the name of the option that turns off the WPF designer.)  Other times have included rebuilding the solution.  Other times include trying to open or switch VS windows while my application was running with the debugger.

The main Visual Studio window isn't properly responsive, but it isn't completely dead either.  Trying to close the application causes that red "X" button to flicker irregularly.  The context menu for the process in the task bar shows too briefly to be used.  I can Alt-Tab to the process, and it will correctly update the display of all of the MDI child windows.

Waiting many minutes doesn't improve the situation.  I have to kill the process.

I'm running on Vista (32 bit) with SP1, with Aero.

Is this a known problem?  Am I going to have to uninstall VS2008 (and .NET 3.5) SP1?
    Friday, August 15, 2008 1:57 PM

All replies

• I am also experiencing this problem since installing SP1. It has happened while doing various operations that seem unrelated. Most recently while hitting a break point.

I am running Vista SP1, no Aero.

I have also experienced Visual Studio crashes while trying to view the properties of a .proj

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:18 PM
  • I'm also running into this more often. Anybody else seeing this? I have not seen this with several ASP.NET projects I've been doing, just WPF. Maybe deleting the .suo and .sln.cache file will help things.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:53 PM
  •  

Seeing this frequently. VS2008 + SP1 (not the beta) .

WPF project. Vista. In C# code - not designer window.

Often on a build, but not always.

Non-responsive UI

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:09 AM
  • I am seeing this on my machine while doing some ASP.NET development using Web Developer Express 2008 (SP1) on Windows XP SP2. Appears to be happening most when debugging breakpoints. VWDExpress.exe hangs and uses approx 20-30% CPU. VS.NET dialog becomes unresponsive. I did not notice this issue prior to upgrading to VS.NET 2008 SP1.

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Same problem here.

I've just reinstalled the whole machine, Vista (spanish) + SP1, VS8 (english) + SP1.

When it says visual studio is busy is usually  loading a XAML under the 'Loading.. ESC to cancel' screen.

Once it occours the only solutions is to kill devenv.exe in taskmanager.

Looks like a hard bug to solve on XAML designer.

Thanks for the improvements on TabPanel and  designer Width and Height compatibility with blend anyway.

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Me too. Since installing SP1, visual studio hangs at least once or twice a day. Sometimes it happens opening a xaml file, other times it's during a build. Vista32 SP1 Aero.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Me too, I have the exact same behavior but with Windows XP SP3!!!
    This is very annoying because uninstalling the SP1 on the .NET Framework + VS 2008 seems complex...
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:37 AM
  •  

Now is even worst, Visual Studio closes suddenly when I try to open almost any XAML file Tongue Tied
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem.

So far the problem has only occurred while working on larger WPF projects, both applications and XBAPs. The problem only occurrs when I rebuild the solution, I have not experienced any problems while debugging with breakpoints.

I am running XP SP2.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hi

...Same pb too...

It happens when I load XAML files (not in design but code) in my Silverlight 2 projects.
    It happens sometimes when I build too...

Tried to close all apps, this even happens...

Someone has picked it up to MS Connect ?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:15 AM
  • I have just submitted it to Microsoft Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619

Thanks, everyone, for confirming that it isn't just me.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:48 AM
  • Walter - I just saw this - can you ping me offline so that we can follow up with you -

My email is markbou@nospam.microsoft.com without the nospam. bit

thanks - mark

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:40 PM
  • I've also had this a lot since installing SP1.   It's always WPF project and it's normally when starting or leaving the debugger.   It sometimes happens on a build as well. 

I also run the Developer Express Coderush plugin and have wondered if it has to do with that.   I haven't actually tried without running without extra plugins at this stage. 

On a normal day of coding, this hang is occurring 5-6 times and is starting to really disrupt my work. 

Walter23 wrote:
    I'm doing fairly vanilla WPF development on Vista.  Since installing SP1 I frequently encounter situations where VS2008 appears to hang.  Then I get a "Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy" message from the "Delay Notification" tray icon, encouraging me to report this problem.

I had also installed SP1 on another machine.  I now get these hangs on that machine too.  I had never seen this kind of hang before installing SP1.

I cannot easily characterize the circumstances under which these hangs occur.  Several times I was just opening a XAML file.  I am not using the WPF designer at all, so those windows always display the XAML view, not the Design view.  (Sorry, I don't remember the name of the option that turns off the WPF designer.)  Other times have included rebuilding the solution.  Other times include trying to open or switch VS windows while my application was running with the debugger.

The main Visual Studio window isn't properly responsive, but it isn't completely dead either.  Trying to close the application causes that red "X" button to flicker irregularly.  The context menu for the process in the task bar shows too briefly to be used.  I can Alt-Tab to the process, and it will correctly update the display of all of the MDI child windows.

Waiting many minutes doesn't improve the situation.  I have to kill the process.

I'm running on Vista (32 bit) with SP1, with Aero.

Is this a known problem?  Am I going to have to uninstall VS2008 (and .NET 3.5) SP1?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:52 AM
  • You are not alone. I'm experiencing exactly the same problems. Waiting (I even left my machine on during week-ends) doesn't solve the problem. Only killing devenv.exe is the"solution".
    It has nothing to do with memory (virtual or otherwise), since there's always plenty left and devenv.exe doesn't seem to consume that much at the time the problems occur.
    It has nothing to do with CPU, since CPU utilisation as seen by taskman is next to zero.
    It has nothing to do with Operating system, since the problems occur both on XPSP3 and VistaSP1.

It occurs both when compiling (compilation "hangs") and with XAML editing.

A search finds many users having the same problems, and reports made in Connect. And Microsoft's only answer seems to be "not reproducible". 
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:49 AM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem since day 1 of installing SP1, visual studio would hang frequently through out the day, I suspect it is related to the sou file. 

I have found that by deleting this file after a hang, then restarting and closing visual studio again, does seem to improve things. I'm now down to one or two hangs a day, which is a huge improvement on what I was experiencing.

This issue seems directly related to WPF, last week I spent three days in the same problem solution writing and running tests that did not touch WPF, guess what, no hangs.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Same problem here. Started the day I installed SP1. I even copied my code and XAML files into a new directory and recreated the project files and it still happens (though not as often).
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:09 PM
  • i have the same problem with vs 2008 after sp1.
    when i try to create a new silverlight 2 project with web side it hangs and the busy notification icon pops up down at the right.
    this happens to my vista ultimate 64 box and to the server 2008 box i also have.

the strangest thing is that if i move the mouse pointer on to the delay notification icon and press quickly many times the right mouse button ,on it, the visual studio wakes up and creates the project !!!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Regarding the VS hang, if you attach WinDbg or some such to the process and print the top few stack frames of all its threads (~*k 3 or so), you can see that all the threads are suspended because of blocking calls -- one GetMessage() for the pump thread, a handful of IO completion port waits, and a LOT of WaitForSingleObject / WaitForMultipleObject calls. This is what I've observed evey time it hangs on me during a build of a WPF project -- its usually during the end of the compile as well, perhaps its deadlocking itself trying to wait for multithreaded build tasks to finish up?

I wonder -- has anybody observed the hang when "maximum number of parallel builds" in the Options is set to 1?
    EDIT: I set this, and while everything seemed fine for a while, I eventually did get the hang bug.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Hi guys i found a solution that works for me and wanted to share.

if you have DXcore from devexpress try to remove it (together with eXpressAppFramework)

i remove it and everything is working fine now...

i guess we were barking to the wrong tree

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:44 AM
  • This has just started happening to me as well. It started with a Wpf project but now happens on even a Winform App.

Just before it began I received an error message saying something to the effect that some aspect of Vs2008 was corrupted.

Has anything new come up on this problem.

Thanks.

--John

Friday, October 03, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Same problem here though only a few times a week.  In the last few days VS has also started hanging for 5-10 seconds when I switch to a different XAML file or from a c# file to a XAML file.  This has become constant and is driving me crazy.  Every time I click and begin to type in a XAML file I have to wait for VS.  Sometimes it displays the "(not responding)" message in the title bar.

VS 2008 Team System Developer (SP1)

Vista Ultimate (SP1) 64bit

WPF Projects with "Always open documents in full XAML view" set to true

Only third party addition to VS installed is Mole

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:46 PM
  • In researching another problem with WPF development, I found what may be an answer to this problem:

2.3.8.8 WPF Designer may crash if you reference values from a stand-alone or an external resource dictionary

WPF Designer may crash if you reference values from a stand-alone or an external resource dictionary as follows:

- The stand-alone dictionary has resource references between items in this same dictionary (for example, style referencing a color),
    - And you have an open project file (Window, etc) that references a value from this stand-alone resource dictionary,
    - And you modify a value in the stand-alone resource dictionary.

To resolve this issue:

Close any open documents that reference values from the dictionary before the dictionary is updated.

The source of this documentation can be found here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/8/A2807F78-C861-4B66-9B31-9205C3F22252/VS2008SP1Readme.htm

Friday, November 07, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Still no word on this?

I don't have DXCore installed or any devexpress product for that matter but I am getting the error and now the frequency has increased many folds.

I don't think the above applies too either. Even small wpf applications will all local dictionary definitions also tend to hang VS.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Hi,

I have a large WPF solution with about 30 projects. I noticed that this hang happens very often when I have many projects expanded in the solution explorer. If I collapse them and leave only the project I work on seems to be fine.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:41 AM
  • Was a solution ever found for this problem?

It still exists and is very annoying.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:11 AM
  • I am also facing same issue very regularly, more then 5-6 times a day. Microsoft should release a workaround patch for this, anyone listening.....
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I get this all the time now, Silverlight development, any solution???  I have to kill devenv.exe 10+ times a day now Sad

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:05 PM
  • We just upgraded from VS2005 + SP1 to VS2008+SP1. I get these hanging messages A LOT while debugging standard C# projects.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Same for me, upgrading to the latest CodeRush solved the problem

Friday, January 16, 2009 4:44 PM
  •  

we don't use CodeRush, so that won't help in my case/issues.

any other ideas, this is most annoying..

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:04 PM
  •  

I don't seem to have any of the software installed that's mentioned but I get the hang when editing siliver light projects in VS with SP1 installed.  As others Vista 32 bit.  Was there every a concrete solution?

I don't have the problem on even large forms projects.

Regards,

John

Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I also had the same kind of hanging problem. After attachinng a debugger to hanged Visual Studio and analyzing the call stack I found out the the reason was with Visual Assist X, so after uninstalling it I havent experience such problems yet.

Can anyone confirm?

Vardan Tovmasyan
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Hi There,

Just wanted to say that i've been getting this error a-lot. few times a day. after few days i uninstalled & reinstalled vs2008+sp1, problem did'nt go away so i reinstalled windows (xp/sp3) and vs2008+sp1 and it still here.

Guess i should have figured it out and avoid installing the vs2008sp1.

anyhow, i'm using:

Windows XP, sp3.
    Visual Studio 2008 sp1.
    working with 25projects with multiple WPF projects.

in addition, visual studio keeps on crashing "randomly" while starting to run the solution, or when stopping a running solution, and this one is freaky, it happens mostly when i put the output, callstack or immidiate tool windows on my 2nd screen, which isn't the one the main visual studio application window is maximized on....

thanks

Guy
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:31 AM
  • I'm getting this problem a couple of times every hour.  I'm working on my first WPF application and this doesn't exactly give a good impression.

Vista Ult x64 4GB RAM VS2008 SP1

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Having the same problem, a few times a day.

I have tried a few different things to solve it - reinstalling VS (MS Visual Studio 08, Version 9.0.30729.1 SP), closing all other apps while working in VS, etc.

Nothing works, so far.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Is there a Hotfix for this issue?
    Thanks!
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:14 PM
  • I'm using Vista & VS 2008.  I've found this'll happen when I'm developing on a network share: VS will hang and not resume (I've left it for over an hour while in a meeting).  However, if I open Windows Explorer and navigate to the network share, VS will suddenly resume (until the next time it hangs, at which point if I refresh the Windows Explorer window VS will start working again).  BUG>?
    • Proposed as answer by Ben394729 Friday, March 13, 2009 11:20 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 11:19 AM
  • I'm dong ordinary .NET applications (not WPF) and I have the same FREAKING problem!!
    I need this sorted ASAP, all my development takes forever because I need to sit and wait for VS2008 all the time... During debugging, during switch between Release and Debug and other random occasions.
    Is there a fix for this?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:23 PM
  • We have also been experiencing many issues with VS2008 Pro SP1 either crashing with no warning or the hanging that others have described here.  We are developing a WPF app that also has many c# only projects associated in the solution.  We even have a compeltely separate project team having the same experience as well.  We are all running XP Pro, most on SP3 (a few are on SP2).  I am not running any plug-ins for VS.  So it happens on various PCs, various solutions, various code base,

The most common scenario that causes the sudden crash with no warning is is I use the auto rename feature when editing my c# code.  It seems to get in that mode at times and I can't even use that feature. There are other instances that cause the problem, but i don't have any concrete scenario to share with them yet. 

Also, we started right fromt he beginning with VS2008 Pro with SP1.  We also started with .NET 3.5 sp1.

I hope a resolution comes real soon!

Rick
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:13 PM
  • For what it's worth, I get the same message frequently as well.  I'm running VS2008 SP1, doing mostly WPF development.  I'm using the AnkhSVN Visual Studio plugin for Subversion, but other than that, I've tried to steer very clear of any plugins, precisely because they increase the risk of this sort of behavior.  (Getting rid of an MVC RC helped clear up a number of these hangs, but certainly not all of them.)

I do find it odd that there's been almost complete radio silence from the Microsoft folks on this thread.  Bugs happen, sure.  But there's obviously a problem here, and it's annoying that nobody from MS has replied.  Even some sympathy would be helpful...

Ken Smith
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi all

Sorry not to have seen this thread previously; this beta forum is not being actively monitored by my team since Visual Studio 2008 SP1 has shipped.

I'm very sorry for the trouble this issue has caused many of you. The hang issue you are hitting when editing WPF applications in VS2008 SP1 is currently being worked on for a potential Hotfix. (see https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619 for details). The potential fix is currently being field tested by a test group (which is now full).

Please check out https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619 for updates as we have them.

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF & Silverlight Designer Team, Visual Studio
    Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Thanks, Mark.  It's good to know that someone at MS finally took ownership of this one :-).
    Ken Smith
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Looking forward to try out the hotfix as soon as its released.
    Friday, April 03, 2009 9:54 AM
  • This is infuriating. I sure hope the hotfix is almost ready. I get this issue every time I edit the project settings on my web app.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Good news: we are now very close to being able to issue a Hotfix for the issue described in  https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=362619 . The fix is for a problem seen by users of the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 WPF Designer, and will not affect any other issue.

One caution: based on the descriptions in your postings, some of you seem to be seeing a completely different problem in a totally unrelated area of Visual Studio (e.g. chrisemersonnc - you are seeing a VS Hang issue in web app project settings editing) - you should raise separate connect bugs for those issues because this Hotfix will almost certainly not affect them.

To raise a new connect bug for Visual Studio, go to this page  https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio and press the New Bug button.

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, WPF & Silverlight Designer Team, Visual Studio

Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:20 PM
  • waiting for this miracle to come ;)

Guy
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 5:37 AM
  • ...chrisemersonnc - you are seeing a VS Hang issue in web app project settings editing) - you should raise separate connect bugs for those issues because this Hotfix will almost certainly not affect them.
    Sad to hear the hotfix won't fix my issue too. New bug added as directed - https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=441599
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Add me to the line of frustrated people: wanted to start with CUDA, installed VS 2008 (SP1 I guess) on Vista Business, created a project. Tried to open the .cu-file -> hang & had to kill the app. Happens 100% of trys -> no single line of code written up to now. This cries for a fix :-/.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:50 PM
  • The final production hotfix for the Visual Studio 2008 Hang encountered when editing WPF files is available for download here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963035

Thank you for your patience in awaiting this fix. As noted, the fix does not apply to any issues outside the WPF designer issue.

Regards
    Mark
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:54 PM
  • The final production hotfix for the Visual Studio 2008 Hang encountered when editing WPF files is available for download here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963035

Thank you for your patience in awaiting this fix. As noted, the fix does not apply to any issues outside the WPF designer issue.

Regards
    Mark

I have VS2008 + SP1 installed on WinXP. The about dialog says the version is 9.0.30.729.1 SP.
    When I tried installing this hotfix (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB963035 ), it gave following error
    "None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup."

I am frequently experiencing Visual Studio crash, mostly when opening XAML files, sometimes it asks for sending error reports to MS (I do send the logs) and sometimes the VS just disappears.

Thanks
    Nitesh
    Monday, September 07, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

I have VStudio 2005 installed in my development PC, and I've worked with it for years w/o an issue. After I installed VS 2008, SP1, and Silverlight 3 on the same machine, side-to-side with VS 2005, I started to experience VS 2005 hanging when I save a VB .NET code-behind (.aspx.vb) file using Alt-F(ile)-S(ave). This project is plain ASP .NET 2.0.5 SP2 with VB no Silverlight / xaml files. It hasn't hang yet if I click on the "diskette" icon to save files, only if I use Alt-F-S key shortcut. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

I'm working in VS2005 ASP .NET 2.0 SP1 (I don't use any other development tool from Microsoft or any other company), and the project is in TFS src. control. If I save any file using the File menu or Alt+F+S VS hangs, and I have to kill it using Windows Tasks. If I save the file clicking on the diskette icon in the toolbar, or pressing Ctrl+S Visua Studio saves it, abd doesn't hangs.

Please help on how to fix or what is causing this.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

• Edited by e_man_online Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:52 PM clarification/more info
    Monday, April 12, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Even I faced the problem. I figured it happens only when UI markup is heavly loaded with controls/user controls. Studio freezes if one switches the views in the designing mode.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:57 AM