Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.

Question

• Hello There!

I have a web service which works fine until you precompile it (ASP.NET 2.0). I place it into a virtual directory of IIS 5.1. When you try to browse it, instead of getting the webservice list of available methods, you get a server error report:

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <?xml version="1.0"?>
    Line 2:  <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    Line 3:  	<system.web>
    Line 4:  		<!--  DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION

The offending line is in the web.config file. Anybody know why this is happening? By the way, I am running XP Pro, IIS 5.1, .Net Framework / ASP.NET 2.0, IE 6.0. The latter displays above error message, however at the bottom there is the following message:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

This bothers me - why isn't it version 2.0?

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter Battelino
    BTE Corporation

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

It looks like you only have version 1.1 of ASP.NET installed.

Open up a v2.0 SDK command prompt and type:

aspnet_regiis -i

and see if that fixes the problem.

Daniel Roth

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:40 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Peter,

It looks like you only have version 1.1 of ASP.NET installed.

Open up a v2.0 SDK command prompt and type:

aspnet_regiis -i

and see if that fixes the problem.

Daniel Roth

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:40 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Peter for sharing.

This resolved this error, but led me to another error:

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level

Here's another thread with more details: http://forums.asp.net/1466456/ShowThread.aspx#1466456

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:58 PM
  • Thanks Guys,

When I tried to publish my new web service to IIS 5.1 I too got a similar error.

The suggestion resolved my problem completely. I don't understand why Framework installation don't do this by default. .NET framework installation should ideally install components for ASP.NET 2.0 runtime as well I thought.

Anyways Thanks again.

Cheers

Sasanka.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:21 AM
  •  

Hi Daniel,

Your post really helped me to solve my issue. Thank you.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:54 PM
  • I fixed this by going to IIS Right click on Default webiste --> Under the ASP.NET tab set the Asp.net version = 2.0.50727.

Hope this is helpful.
    Javier
    http://perezj.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by EnerSysIT Thursday, March 01, 2012 12:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:09 PM
  •  

After patching a Windows 2003 which is running an ASP.net 2.0 application, this application came back up as a ASP.net 1.1 application upon reboot.  This thread was helpful in assisting me with a quick resolution.  Changing the ASP.Net version to the correct one - v.2 and running the aspnet_iis i solved the problem.  Still curious as to why the ASP.net changed just by the patching effort.

-Edgar

Saturday, April 05, 2008 4:42 AM
  • Did the patch include an update to .NET 1.1? Maybe .NET 1.1 SP1?

Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Did the patch include an update to .NET 1.1? Maybe .NET 1.1 SP1?

Tried everything and then came across this, simply removed the xmlns="" attribute and started working normally

as listed here : http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/fix-parser-error-message-unrecognized-attribute-xmlns-10808/

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:00 PM