New USB Devices not recognized in Vista

Question

• I have run into a strange problem that I need some help.  I am running vista ultimate on a ibm t43p laptop.  All of my current usb items including keyboard, camera, printer and others work fine.

When I try to install a new usb device plug and play is not recognizing properly. The found new hardware wizard comes up and tries to install the driver.  When searching it cannot find the driver and does not install properly.  I have tried the devices on other computers and they do work.

Anyone have any ideas why these items won't install?  The specific item now is a canon pixma pro9000 printer.  The driver is on the computer but plug and play will not install the device. 

Thanks, Jim

Thursday, March 01, 2007 12:38 AM

All replies

• The Driver for the specific printer might not be compatible with Vista. There are a lot of drivers which works fine in ther OS but not in Vista. You can confirm it from the canon pixma itself.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 5:14 AM
  • click on manual specify location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search subfolders' checkbox.
    Seems to be a Vista bug...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:17 PM
  • I have the same problem.

My Toshiba Tecra A7 Notebook show 3 unknown device in the device list and don't find any driver.

I try to search in windows\system32 folder but no driver were found.

If i try to connect an external USB memory VISTA ask me for the driver.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I have the same problem and now all 4 USB ports are disabled. I have tried the recommendations of the laptop manufacturer (HP) but that didn't work.

The problem was caused by disconnecting an external harddrive. Somehow that blew 1 port and then it screwed up 2 more. Now none of them work and I still have 3 mystery "Unknown Devices" in my Device Manager. I'v uninstalled the Root Hub several times and they reappear each time.

This is very annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.

Paul

Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:23 PM
  • I have same problem! but on a VAIO! my USB ports used to work! basically VISTA aint good!, my external hard drive used to work as did my usb pens nd now thye dont!

Oi! Gates! sort it out! or i switch to MAC! 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Not only do I have the same issue, but when I rebooted today, my usb ports began working....my Sharp AM900 printer kicked in, my SanDisk 1GB Flash drive kicked in, but.....when I tried to access the Flash drive, everything went back to "not recognized". I got excited for nothing. I figured, maybe it's Norton, so I uninstalled that.....but that had no effect. Back to the drawing board.
    Friday, April 06, 2007 10:27 PM
  • This worked for my Buslink USB 2.0 external hard drive.  Thanks a lot!!!
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:46 AM
  • The problem can be solved if u specify the location for the drivers which is c:\windows . I don't know if it is work in your case or not, but mine, it works. The problem maybe due to the computer which cannot locate the folder contain the drivers needed. Hopefully it work for all.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:05 PM
  • had several usb devices, flash drives, external hard drives cameras, etc not work in vista but work in other PCs not running vista.  Ran update driver and pointed it to c:\windows\system32  as suggested -- all drives working properly now - BIG bug if you ask me.  Why would it not search the windows directory for a driver prior to trying to access the net for a driver?
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:43 AM
  • This is a real big problem I have any USB devices that I unplug and re-plug offten and in a fresh install of Vista all the drivers load on the first try but after a few weeks I will start to notice that when I plug in a device Vista with show me the found new hardware dialog with the devices name at the top.  When I click seach for drivers it will search windows update and find nothing then I can point it to the exact location of the INF and driver files (I've even tried windows\system32 and many other combinations)  Vista will never find some of the drivers.

I've also tried deleting the INFCACHE.1 file in windows\inf and that would seems to help now and then but I refuse to reload Vista again. 

Does anyone know how to fix this annoying and HUGE bug! ?

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:48 AM
  • +1 I'm experiencing the same problem too.

The workaround of search C:\windows\system32 has worked for now.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:19 PM
  • Righty ho, that's kind of worked for my USB memory stick.  Unfortunately now when I try to access it Windows tells me "access is denied".  Any ideas on this one?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I've been dealing with the same problem, too, with the manually point to the system32 folder workaround.

Even with the workaround, it takes minutes and minutes and several prompts to load a USB device that would take seconds with XP - ridiculous!! This is my second build of Vista, and I thought it had been fixed, but somewhere along the way the prompts came back. Some conflict somewhere?

Friday, May 04, 2007 3:08 AM
  •  Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
    click on manual specify location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search subfolders' checkbox.

Seems like a nasty bug to me, but indead, the work arround works great, I've logged a case at MS with the question where in the registry I could change the default search path for the drivers.

if and when I get a reply from MS, I'll post it here.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:21 AM
  • Same stuff for me, I use Vista Ultimate since 1 of April without any problem (the real goal was when my Hauppauge Nexus-s started to work under Vista). The troubles two days ago when I tryed  to reinstall a HP Photosmart C3180.

No way with the usual procedure, the wizard hangs every time at the point "connect the usb cable now". I solved with manual installation of the drivers for each device found (more than 1 hour to set up a printer!). Now every time that I plug - unplug - replug a usb device I have to reinstall the drivers pointing to c:\windows\system32.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 5:16 PM
    click on manual specify location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search subfolders' checkbox.

Alexander,
    Signed in just to thank you for the info. Not sure why this one was so hard for me to find....doh. This also solved another problem where my DVD drive was not being recognized as a labeled drive. By using this process, I was able to "update" the driver and now my DVD drive appears in my computer like it should .
    Thanks again,
    Jon
    Monday, May 14, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I discovered that my problems were tied to a Kensington bluetooth driver. The driver gave me lots of unsigned warnings (it's from XP) when it installed, but it eventually did work. However, that's when the eternal prompts began.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 7:09 PM
  • can you help me by letting me know that what driver version of nexes-s is working wiyh vista32? thanks
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Yep! that's when mine started to happen to... thing is... my problem is not limited to USB devices... install anything that requires drivers and i'm forced to manually install them. even an internal hard drive!!

Does anyone know where the reg setting is that tells Vista where to look automatlicy for drivers?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I have just upgraded a Toshiba A100 to Vista same problem with the USB ports needing a driver. The work around does not work.

I have also tried with an Advent 8111 again same problem any help? or a fix from Microsoft!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:58 PM
  •  I'm having a problem with a 4gb Verbatim Flash Drive. When I plug it into any USB port, it recognizes it as

1) An external CD drive (Which I have some access to, I can see a few files and folders but trying to use any of them leads to a crash)

2) The flash drive itself (Which tells me to insert a disk)

Tried to use the manual driver install which didn't help at all, anyone having a similar problem?

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:53 AM
  • Hello,

I have a buslink usb2.0 and I did update the driver specifiying C:\windows without success.

Can anyone direct me in the right direccion?

Thanks a lot

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:30 AM
  • I agree with you TheBrain. I'm having the same problem. My Toshiba Satellite U205-S5057 Notebook (with Windows Vista) doesn't recognize most of USB Memory devices. When I try to plug an USB memory device, a dialog box appears warning me about a missing driver. As you can see, Vista is asking me for the driver too. 'till now I have not figured out how to solve this problem. Have you got some help??. I will appreciate some help from you. Does anyone nows what is going wrong with my computer? Perhaps Windows Vista is the problem??? Thanks.

Daniel Maximus. 

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:15 AM
  • I had the same problem with the constant prompts for drivers, the work around to manually point to system32 worked but this was also linked to the installation of Bluetooth BTW_5.1.0.1201 Bluetooth drivers for my motorola PC850 device.

I used system restore to get me back to before I installed this and now USB devices are recognised properly.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Same issue...I am getting frustrated.  None of my USD related flash / Hard disk is recognized by Vista. Is this some kind of Bug ? Is there any work around via registry ?   I am gonna remove my Vista and install back my XP.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:32 PM
  •  

I have a work around, which works fr me....

I tried connecting all my devices...like...PDA, USB hard disc, Flash Memdrive, PSP before booting the computer. After booting with these devices, I could see these devices DISABLED under DEVICE MANAGER.

Using Device Manager, I manually enabled each USB device,....... which gives a msg bubble "installing device driver SW"  followed by option window "Found New Hardware".Under "Found New Hardware" window, I selected "Ask Me again later". Immedietly, I could see my memory devices in "MY COMPUTER"  functioning fine.

But if u disable / remove USB devices and try to connect while ur system is running....these devices are not getting recognized. Again, you need to connect these devices and reboot the system and follow the above steps.

Pls let me know if this works ?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Spent 8.5 straight hours on the phone with MS & HP tech support trying to resolve this issue yesterday (went to level 4 technician).   Could not connect a brand new USB printer (to accept the USB drivers) to my new laptop.  I mentioned this thread...to no avail.  MS basic response was that this was an HP issue.  Not getting any clear answers, I bought another new laptop and moved my files from the problem laptop (only a month old) to the "new" laptop.  After getting this 2nd new laptop, Vista is operating much differently than the first (both HPs bTW).  However, only the 2nd day, and I am begining to have issues again....I am uninstalling my Bluetooth to c if this will work...but much like a previous poster, wondering if anyone else sees a slow degredation of the OS when it comes to drivers.

Looking back, I should have known there was an issue with the first laptop, when It wouldn't even work with the Easy Transfer USB cable.  My first laptop was built before Vistas official launch, and was held for sale until the launch.    The BIOS and the Chipset drivers were pre-vista drivers (way to go HP) and both were updated yesterday, which did help the Plug and Play (non-driver installation items..vista still asked for a driver, but I was able to use the USB devices).

The craziest thing about the 1st and 2nd laptops is that I had no problems with my wireless mouse on the first computer, but on the 2nd, i can't get it to find the driver.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I'd me more than happy to give more details of all the things that didn't work, if someone is having the same huge isses and wants to shortcut their time with lastresort techsupport.  Hope this was helpful.

Friday, June 22, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Thank you, you saved me about $50 'cuz now, I don't have to buy a new printer...
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:03 AM
  • I am having the same problem. Not a single USB device with the exception of my external hard drive is recognized. Out of a usb mouse and 4 flash drives non work.

I have tried what is listed here to no avail.

I am going back to XP, vista is not ready to come out of beta stage. There is so many problems it is retarded. The key was bad, drivers are so slow to install, problems booting, USB devices do not work... at least MSN works in vista.

I would return the vista software if it was an option. Over 10 years in the business and they still can't get it right. Sorry for the rant.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:15 PM
  • same problem, on vista ultimate 64bit

please come up with a less cumbersome fix otherwise I'll have to format c:

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Okay..here's the deal.   If u c my previous post you will note that i bought another BRAND NEW LAPTOP....started having the exact same issues regarding drivers.   Then the lightbulb when on. 

CHECK TO SEE IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE CORRECT VERSION OF VISTA.    Apparently HP couldn't figure out that a 64bit processor needs to be installed with the 64 bit version of Vista.  Both of my brand new laptops were 64 bit systems and installed at the factory with the 32bit Vista.  HP overnighted the System Restore disk for the 64 bit system wth updated BIOS, etc.   And haven't had any problems since.  This also cleared up an issue i was having with the computer not coming out of sleep and several other little annoyances.

so...If you have a 64 bit system make sure you are running the 64bit version of Vista, and vice versa for 32bit.  Also make sure that when u update other drivers (ie..logitech, hp printers, etc. usb devices have 64 bit and 32 bit drivers available).

To check which version of vista u r using, right click on "my computer" and go to "properties".  Hope this helps.

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:36 AM
  • any update?

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:01 PM
  • COOL! thanks so much for the suggestion. Smile my USB devices are now recognized.
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 3:43 AM
  • tried windows sys32 but it did not work for me used alot of combos but c:\windows\winsxs got my i-rock storage device working it is a vista problem 1 of many since i got it windows xp was much better sys good luck.
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 5:42 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:
    1. In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named "usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?
    2. When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the  usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.
    Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do you know but they all started working again.

As yet I have not had any problem with other usb devices so I don't know whether this solution applies to everything. However I have noticed that most people are having this problem with devices that register themselves as a mass storage device, including most new printers, cameras, etc. Basically anything with on board memory tells windows it is also a mass storage device, so maybe this is what is causing the problem with those particular usb devices.

Hope this helps

Monday, July 09, 2007 6:33 AM
  • you sir, is a genius. I've tried to figure this out for the past 2 hours and you found a solution that actually works. Thank you.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Hi folks, I just finished reading through the 3 pages of posts on "USB Devices not recognized".  I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I am experiencing the exact same problem on my Presario V2582US laptop.  But the twist is, I am running XP Pro.  I just thought I would mention this since everyone seems to be blaming Vista.  I had been running a Bluetooth for my keyboard, mouse and GPS. 

I have not tried any of the suggested fixes you have made, but will do that shortly.  If it makes things work again, I will post again.

BTW, I found the comment regarding the 64-bit processor interesting.  I have a 64-bit processor on this machine.  As I said, I am currently running XP Pro, which is not 64-bit.  I asked a tech if I went to Vista, should I go to 32 or 64 and he told me to go with 32 because there is little software written for 64 bit and the softwares might not operate properly under 64 bit.  I am not sure his statement holds water, but my point is, I am currently running a 32 bit OS on a 64-bit processor so why would it make any difference if I run Vista 32 or 64 on a 64-bit processor?

My suspicion  is, whether you reinstall Vista 32 or install Vista 64, the USB system will work properly for a period of time again. 

Well guys, this isn't getting my machine fixed so I better close and get working on it.  I appreciate the info you have put together and I hope it will work that way on XP also.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Ron:

re: 64 bit systems....  I agree, I have had some compatibility issues with the 64 bit running other software programs ....(mostly games - 1701 AD, etc.--but think i have found a patch for the 3D issue) Can't run SuperPass for RealPlayer either...  however...all the usb issues were a result of having the 32 bit vista.  tried all the work arounds which only temporarily solved the issues.  I think it is curious u r having the same issues on a 64 bit system...while running a 32 bit OS.   It may not be limited to vista...but it is definatley a 64 bit problem.

Since i installed the 64 bit system...I HAVE NOT had ANY problems with the USB ports or any other drivers.  Trust me that after 8.5 hours on the phone--(calling tech support is always a last resort for me...most of them know how to reboot a computer and look at the device manager...and not much more)... with a 3 way conversation with a level 4 techician at MS and HP and myself, the only way to fix this issue long term is to put the 64 bit Vista on the 64 bit machine. 

I no longer want to destroy my laptop and go postal....however, if i had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a 64 bit machine (to be honest, it was an emergency purchase....on a holiday...and my options weren't great for instock- 1st one was a HP dv6000 serious and now i have the dv2315)...but at least i'm not spending my day chasing my tail trying to get a usb device to work with the 32 bit os (when i need to print an invoice, i need to print it). 

As much as i MS's policy is "make it now, fix it later"...and i'm not a big fan of MS, i must say that I love the new Vista changes, and Office 2007.

Good luck,

Stacy

P.S.  Have u check to make sure your bios and chip set drivers are up-to-date?  Updating the chipset driver while i was running the 32 bit vista on the 64 bit system did allow usb storage devices to be recognized.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Just wanted to add something I noticed while finding my solution. When i cross checked the creation and modification dates of the second and most recent usbstor.inf folder, it was created on the same day I applied the Microsoft ipod data corruption fix (KB936824).

I also noticed that some people in other threads were experiencing problems after applying this patch so I am wondering whether this is the culprit. Maybe it deleted the old data and inadvertently created a problem whereby the operating system didn't correctly copy the new files back to the inf folder. I only noticed this issue about 3 weeks ago so I am not sure when it actually began, however my suspicious nature leads me to believe this might have been the cause.

Anyway, I have now tested a number of devices post applying my fix and everything is back to normal; i.e. all usb devices are automatically recognised and installed.

I am curious to know whether I would be able to delete the old usbstor.inf folder(naturally it is locked by the system) as I notice that there is nothing else in the Driverstore folder that has multiple versions. I will try renaming it in safe mode and see if any issues arise.

Regards
    Matt
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:33 AM
  • I have had this laptop for a little over a year and never had any problems with it until recently.  Of course that suggests it has to do with some software or update I have installed or with drivers deleted when I uninstalled some software.  Yes, I did update the bios and chip set drivers while I was on line with HP tech support.

Well, I just tried booting up with the USB devices already plugged in and that didn't help.  I also tried to manually install pointing to c:\windows\system32 and that didn't help either.

I now plan to install a new harddrive in the laptop and restore XP Pro to it and see if things work at that point.  We might be looking at a corrupt file that is not being overwritten.  If we can identify which file or files, we can delete it before reinstalling the drivers.

It may be a while until I can get back online when I pull this harddrive and install the other.  Thanks for your insight.

Ron
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Im facing the same problem here in Brazil with a HP Laptop, i tried support from HP and MS and both  don´t a clue what they talking about, the last girl from HP was trying to blame the hardware when all the problem is a driver missing.

i got vista on my desktop and my laptop and with both i got USB problems my Microsoft webcam if i change the USB port it´s ask for driver, my laptop have a built in card reader, with my SD works fine, with a Sony MS ask for driver. to resume,

last night my desktop asked for a driver while i was using a Data Traveler pendrive from Kingston totally plug and play.  shame on you Bill.

i will take a look what Wicked MX said ...

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Hi folks,
    I did install a new harddrive in my laptop and reinstalled XP Pro on it.  It made no difference on the 2 USB ports that were not working.  I then installed all the updates and still could not get the 2 ports working.  This seems to say I have a hardware problem since the new install made no difference.

Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when I bought the machine because the tech tells me the only way to replace the USB ports on this laptop is by replacing the motherboard.   I will wait until I return from a two week trip before sending it in.

I hope you folks fair better with the situation on Vista.  If someone has the opportunity to replace their harddrive and reinstall Vista, I would be interested in whether that will work, but since it didn't work for me using XP Pro, I doubt it will make any difference. 

Ron
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:51 PM
  • I've been following this thread for the past two days.   I'm running a HP notebook (Pavilion dv6113TX) with Vista Home Premium (32-bit HP upgrade version) and trying to get a Lacie 160Gb portable HDD recognised.   Whilst I don't have a proper fix, I can provide a cumbersome workaround which at least means that the device is available for use (just that it's not pnp).  

1.  Uninstall the device in device manager

2.  Shut down system

3.  Have device plugged in when I power up

4.  Device is recognised – although no drivers reported

5.  Hit ask me again later

6.  Device is recognised and available - so long as I don’t unplug it and try to plug it in again.

7. If I do then unplug the device and plug it in again it is not recognised, and I have to repeat the same process again (including uninstall and log off).   

Note:   None of the steps mentioned elsewhere in this thread appear to work for me.   I have done a clean install of Vista on another HP notebook (Presario 2815AUP) and the Lacie was recognised straight away (with full pnp - both prior to and following installing windows updates - with device manager reporting the following drivers c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys and partmgr.sys).   I even tried coping the drivers used from the clean install onto the HP Pavilion - but it hasn't made any difference.

I've raised a job with Lacie for an update to their drivers - although they advise to point to c:\windows with subfolders selected as the default folder is incorrect.  Unfortunately this does not fix the problem so have gone back to Lacie Support and I'm going to raise a job with HP and MSFT in the morning.  

Will let you know how I go, but suspect a rebuild of my HP Pavilion is in order.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:43 PM
  • what Wicked MX said didnt work for me, i got the files in both folders...  maybe we need to wait the Sp1, till there no USB PNP support at all
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:31 PM
  • I did the same thing, "Vista" the all-retarded, still says that a parameter is incorrect and the Extrenal HD is still unknown.

what kills me is XP went ahead and found it no problem.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:45 PM
  • This is the ailment that solved the problem on my computer, a Sony Vaio VGN-TX3NS (Japanese model) with a Vista Business and Ultimade upgrade installed over it.   Thank you so much for your advice.  It worked !!!!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Hi matey wickedMX I have done that but it seems I can only see one usbstore folder, I cannot see two. Any other advise???
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I am facing a similar issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But now it has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk drives" in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also when I right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not start (code 10).

I have  tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card reader. That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to fix this isue?

Thanks,

Rupa

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:53 PM
  • I would recommend rolling back the drivers for the media card reader... I had a similar issue with my built-in webcam from HP...

~lewmo

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Thanks but it doesnt allow me to rollback the drivers for the card reader. The Rollback option in Properties is disabled.

Rupa

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:20 AM
  •  WickedMX wrote:
    I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:
    1. In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named "usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?
    2. When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the  usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.
    Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do you know but they all started working again.

A thousand thanks!

I've been fighting this one on a new Vista 64-bit installation for weeks. A few USB storage devices (a Corsair Flash Voyager) would work, but most would not. Hard drives and card readers all went through the motions of installing drivers, but would always fail.

Since they worked fine on a Vista 32-bit machine, I was assuming the problem was with the 64-bit version. But all my Googling for solutions for the specific failed hardware was fruitless.

As it turned out, for whatever reason, I was also missing usbstor.inf & usbstor.pnf, and following your fix above has repaired the system, and restored my sanity (such as it is).

Thanks again!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:07 PM
  • I have the usbstor.inf file but the usbstor.pnf file is missing from the file repository folder.  I went in to the C:\Windows\inf folder and copied the usbstor.pnf file

When I went back into the file repository folder to paste the file I got the following message...

"You need permission to perform this action" Try again or Cancel

Any suggestions?

I can't get any of my USB devices to work not even a simple plug and play mouse.  Everything was working fine until today.  Any device that I plug into any of the USB ports gives me  the USB device not recognized bubble.  And as I mentioned these same devices were working previously.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:25 PM
  • :-)  BLESS YOU WickedMX, Bless you Bless you Bless you!
    I've experienced the same degrading USB problem on a new install of VISTA Home Premium 64-Bit on a fresh box with over $1500.oo in the latest components not counting the monitor, printer and software.  So i knew the problem was not hardware.  Here's how mine went:
    From the fresh load there were a few problems with wireless drivers and some software that i had grown used to did not work on the 64-bit platform.  So i changed (updated) all my working programs, and finally found a driver for the wireless 802.11g, and things were going well.  THEN, i wanted to download some photos and moved my old Fuji card reader to the new box, and Vista didn't like it, couldn't find a driver, and so i took the card reader out after going up to Fuji and finding that they didn't support VISTA with that particular reader.  After that, every time i plugged in any USB whatever, Vista kept wanting the driver for that old card reader.  "But", i ask myself, was the card reader the problem, or was there a Vista "update" at about the same time?
    With WickedMX's cure, it seems to me that the problem was brought about by a Vista update.  Somehow the programmers got their fingers on the wrong keys late at night over there in India somewhere and sent the two files WickedMX found were AWOL into the wrong directory.
    At any rate, if you are having the same USB problem, go slow and take a look at what WickedMX suggested.
    As for myself, his cure came about four and one-half minutes before i was ready to finally "format-c" with the install disk of Novell's boxed version of Open SUSE 10.2.....
    So, thanks again, WickedMX, for your kind assistance.  You saved me a LOT of trouble and work!  Maybe the Vista programmers will catch up to you with the next update?  Maybe.  At least, if our USB ports go goofy again we'll know where to look.  Unless they manage to loose them somewhere else.  Then we'll have to search for where those two files are at next time.
    Best Regards to all.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:17 AM
  •  

JUST COPY AND PASTE, THIS METHOD ACTUALLY WORKS!!!

THANKS A MILLION   WickedMX

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:36 AM
  • thanks a 100000000000000 you relly saved me today
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:32 PM
  • hi,

First, thanks wickedmx, for the suggestion. I think microsoft will have to release the patch as early as possible for these issues of usd recognition.

I bought the HP notebook (Pavillion DV9222) this April. Everything was working fine, all my plug and play devices like wireless keyboard and mouse, cameras, flash drives, joysticks etc. Suddenly one day, my simulator joystick stopped working. I unplugged it and put it in another port and the same things happened. I removed it and put it in the third usb port and it worked. Thought it could be some virus problems. The next day, when I plugged my USB pen drive, it refused to work on any of the ports. I then checked the logitech joystick that i use on MSFS X. It refused to work on any of the port. Suddenly, nothing was working on the usb ports. I think this problem started after windows update.

Today, I plugged in a usb mouse and no luck. I thought to myself that the ports have gone bad. I am not a techsavvy guy, thus trouble shooting was not possible for me. Still, with some hope, I started looking for the fix and came across this thread.

Now, this thread generally discussed about the usb mass storage device. My problem was the mouse. I also checked the two files that wickedmx mentioned in his post and the latest ones were already present in the inf folder. But again, those files were for mass storage devices. Now I didnt knew what file to check for the plug and play mouse. Suddenly, it struck me to give the path c:windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository in the driver search window. Vista automatically searched for the driver and this solved the problem. Thus vista had the driver for the mouse but in the different folder that what it searches in automatically by defalut i.e inf folder.

Now this worked for my mouse, my flash drives and every plug and play device that I have. 

Somebody mentioned on the net that the this is the problem with a 32 bit vista. I think, 64 bit vista is more organised to put the correct driver files in the correct place, unlike 32 bit vista.

Like I said, it wouldnt have been possible without that initial input from wickedmx. Thanks.

It will be really good if someone makes comprehensive a note of it and puts it across to microsoft.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:28 AM
  • thanks for your info ,I pluged all my devices in such as Flash sticks and portable hard drives and Whalla like magic just like my Old Windows XP

Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Thanks a million !

Your solution solve all my usb problems with my Vista 32.

I did not have usbstor.pnf at all in my Vista so I didn't do anything with it. I only copied and moved usbstor.inf and that was enough. Everything works now.

Can't thank you enough !  

Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:40 AM
  • My problems were solved as well.  For what it is worth, I was having issues with the USB requesting drivers for a 4 Gig iPod Nano and a Seagate Free Agent external hard drive. 

WickedMX's solution was an absolute life saver. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:22 PM

Where is the manual specify location thingy? .... every time i plugin the USB device, it just shows "Installing device", then "this device is ready to use", there is no such thing as SPECIFY LOCATION anywhere if i click on it...
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:04 AM
  •  

I've tried this method but it nevers works. Vista always seems to locate the drivers but alway a error with installing the driver. Any help would be appreciate.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:29 PM
  • I had a similar problem. I tried to connect my flash drives and external hard drives onto Vista Business OS but it did not find any suitable drivers (even though Win XP could find suitable drivers). It gave a Code 1 error. Manually pointing it to system32 folder did not work either as some of you suggested

I got it working by going to the BIOS and loading default settings. And then... it worked!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:04 PM
  •  WickedMX wrote:
    I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:

As yet I have not had any problem with other usb devices so I don't know whether this solution applies to everything. However I have noticed that most people are having this problem with devices that register themselves as a mass storage device, including most new printers, cameras, etc. Basically anything with on board memory tells windows it is also a mass storage device, so maybe this is what is causing the problem with those particular usb devices.

Hope this helps

You have done it Big Smile thank you so much! The problem wasn't making any sense, but what you described turned out to match my symptoms exactly, and has now caused both my Printer (with memory card reader hence the mass storage device bit) and my external HDD to start working again, you have my eternal gratitude, well done once more!

James
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Will this work for my ipod? I cant use any ipod on my vista premium, because its always asking me for drivers.

Monday, August 27, 2007 2:41 AM
  • But my usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files aren't missing...so what should I do now? Any suggestion?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:04 PM
  • I really appreciate the above information but when I tried to follow your steps and copy those two specific files in to Windows\inf folder - I got an error message telling I don't have the proper authorization even thought it's my own lapop.  Any advice how I can resolve this issue.  I can see my inf folder is marked as read only and when I change the status, it keeps defaulting back to the original status.  Your help would be appreciated.

Merci!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:11 PM
  • try right-clicking the files and selecting properties, then click on security, advanced , Permissions and click edit. Then you add your name where it says "enter the object or name to select". Click ok the click on security and edit. Highlight your name in the "group or username box" and click "allow full control" in the permissions for everyone box then apply and ok then ok again. now that you have full control of the file you will be able to copy it to the required folder to get your usb devices working .

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:10 PM
  • This did not work for me I am try to access an enlight card reader but some times when i reboot it recognizes it and somtimes it doesnt i have reset my bios to fialsafe defaults this has helped to get to this stage this problem is on my desktop but my laptop running the some os has no problems it is almost like 2 different os's
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I have used winamp and it finds my daughters ipod but not itunes
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:48 PM
  • This didn't help my problem with the USB cable. I got my hp officejet pro k5400 on my sony vaio sz-4 laptop with windows vista business. At first i also remember that all the things worked, usb included, or so it seemed. Now i've go the same problem as anybody here.

Indeed i found two different directories (usbstor.inf) in filerepository but the latest one had the exact files that were already found in windows\inf, so i thought i would copy and replace the older ubstor.inf files. It didn't do anything.

Now i also tried the 2nd approach from another fellow poster. When i clicked add new printer, at the listed ports from local printer, no usb appeared, and then i tohught i should updated the printer driver (which was not installed but appeared in device manager with "?") witht he filerepository location. AND IT WORKED! Well...sort of...instead of saying succesfully installed ho officejet blah blah it said succesfully installe usb printing...smth with the usb sign. The printer works now, none the less but every time i reboot the computer the idiotic windows detects the printer and asks for printer drivers even though the printer IS installed in the printers tab and can print. So i have to click every time ask me again later cuz i'm afraid to click don't bother me again for this device. This is very shamefull for VISTA BUSINESS ! Microsoft sucks big time, and it's really shamefull that no fix is ready for this problem.

So conclusion: In printer ports now appears only USB virtual port and the computer always detects as if the printer is not installed. Also may i add that several memory sticks didn't work, even though it worked like a charm on windows XP (PnP yeah right).

When i launch the latest drivers from hp, in the window when they ask to connect the printer via usb the button for next is still grey and innactive meaning that the software doesn't see the printer connected.

Friday, September 07, 2007 11:50 AM
  • the above info doesnt help me alot, i recently got a virus on my comp and had to get hard drive wiped and i just tried to sync my ipod video with itunes but it keeps looking for the driver software even though i have already installed it on my comp, and i cant see it in itunes or my computer and the ipod updater wont let me restore it, it keeps saying "invalid ipod service version"

can some1 plz help, idunno wat to do????

Saturday, September 08, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Brilliant!!

I have been having this issue for various devices over a period of months. Usually could work around but my new Maxtor usb external drive would not work at all.  Made the copy of the two files and pasted them into C:\windows\inf and everything is working properly.  One note the usbstor.inf file did not have the .inf extension in my folder.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Sunday, September 09, 2007 3:36 AM
  • Thank you, WickedMX ! Damn this has been frustrating.

I've been searching for a solution on different occations and almost began to accept that my lenovo with vista did not support flashdrives, cardreaders etc out of the box but need specific manufactor supplied drivers or something. Today I discovered that a colleague could use my flashdrive on his lenovo with vista and I decided to do some more research on the issue. I think this is one of the stupidest bugs I've seen that was not a quick fix considering the billions using Vista and flashdrives etc that has to be experiencing this problem. Vista is supposed to be the ultimate in user friendly, especially related to plug and play hardware, this has been everthing else. I've told many customers to delay their OS upgrade due to this problem only since many of them use different usb-devices.

Is the bug only occuring on rare occations since it has not been patched yet?

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:32 PM
  • I also facing this problem, I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit, previously I bought Apacer 4GB ReadyBoost pen drive and I'm so enjoying the pen drive, after formated my Vista, and it doesn't recognize my pen drive anymore, it shows remove h/w icon on system tray, sometimes it shows a new removable disk in My Computer, but it shows capacity of 0bytes, and we can't do anything with it, as it were damaged, but XP doing just great..

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:46 AM
  • FYI,

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I was trying to fix the problem for two weeks without success.

You have made my day. Many thanks from Athens Greece.

Leon

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Let me also add a big thanks, as  Iwas frustrated with my new ipod classic not finding the usbaapl.sys file which was in that same folder. Once copied to the INF folder, everything worked. THANKS!

PS, I am using XP, but in general it was the same problem.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:43 AM
  • What WickedMX wrote worked beautifully, but with a little tweak needed if the files are already present.  What you have to do is first make sture that in the driverstore directory the files are present.  Then you have to go to C:\inf and find the usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf and delete them both.  Then you have to restart the computer.  Once you have done that you have then copy the files from the driverstore directory and put them into c:\inf.  Then restart the computer again.  Then it should work.  I hope this helps.  It is a shame that Microsoft has not figured this out.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Not sure if this will help you, but I had the same problem you did.  I had the drivers and I couldn't get my Memorex flashdrive to work. After reading around the forum about the issues related to bluetooth drives and other installed items interferring, I went back to my installed programs to see what I had in there.  I found that my LG Chocolate phone had installed it's own USB drivers.  I uninstalled those drivers and now I'm not having trouble with my flashdrive anymore.

Hope this helps out.

D~

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:44 PM

• I'm currently using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop Pc. The 'System Advisor' tool in the popular program Tuneup Utilities 2007 is installed on my pc and says that I have a 64-bit processor and should consider upgrading to the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, but after the driver problems (among other issues) I've had with Vista, I'm seriously having second thoughts on keeping Vista altogether.

Regarding the 'update drivers' problem, I had to do an advanced windows driver search for some usb devices that I have connected typing only C:\Windows in the search box and luckily windows found the drivers for ALL of the devices. I did this just minutes ago, after viewing all the other posts on this very issue. I have yet to restart my computer since doing this driver fix, but I hope my computer will load up without all the annoying windows popping up saying that Windows can not find the drivers for such & such device. I will get back to you guys on this asap.

Also, I'm looking for another fix. The other problem I'm currently having on Windows Vista is the fact that the Windows explorer.exe startup program is not loading at startup! In order to get it to start, I have to press Ctrl/Alt/Delete which brings up the task manager and then I manually start the explorer.exe program using the 'start new task' option within task manager. After doing this, my taskbar, desktop background picture, and all desktop icons appear and I'm able to use windows eplorer & go about my normal computer activities once again. The explorer.exe program will then appear within the task manager. But as soon as I reboot, the same problem returns.

I've noticed that this exact problem with windows explorer.exe not loading is a popular and ever growing issue among many Vista users just by researching online. I've yet to come across any kind of solution to these problems. Since it does seem to happen to many Vista users, perhaps Microsoft will soon have a quick and easy fix .....or at least we hope so Wink

In the meantime:

Are there any other Windows Vista users experiencing the same problem or similar? Maybe somebody out there knows of a fix for this? If so, please reply to this message. It takes only a few minutes of your time and it may help so many people that visit this forum and are experiencing the very same problem.

Just post a reply to this message and thank you kindly.

Sincerely, Sara

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:58 AM

• I'm currently using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop Pc. The 'System Advisor' tool in the popular program Tuneup Utilities 2007 is installed on my pc and says that I have a 64-bit processor and should consider upgrading to the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, but after the driver problems (among other issues) I've had with Vista, I'm seriously having second thoughts on keeping Vista altogether.

Regarding the 'update drivers' problem, I had to do an advanced windows driver search for some usb devices that I have connected typing only C:\Windows in the search box and luckily windows found the drivers for ALL of the devices. I did this just minutes ago, after viewing all the other posts on this very issue. I have yet to restart my computer since doing this driver fix, but I hope my computer will load up without all the annoying windows popping up saying that Windows can not find the drivers for such & such device. I will get back to you guys on this asap.

Also, I'm looking for another fix. The other problem I'm currently having on Windows Vista is the fact that the Windows explorer.exe startup program is not loading at startup! In order to get it to start, I have to press Ctrl/Alt/Delete which brings up the task manager and then I manually start the explorer.exe program using the 'start new task' option within task manager. After doing this, my taskbar, desktop background picture, and all desktop icons appear and I'm able to use windows eplorer & go about my normal computer activities once again. The explorer.exe program will then appear within the task manager. But as soon as I reboot, the same problem returns.

I've noticed that this exact problem with windows explorer.exe not loading is a popular and ever growing issue among many Vista users just by researching online. I've yet to come across any kind of solution to these problems. Since it does seem to happen to many Vista users, perhaps Microsoft will soon have a quick and easy fix .....or at least we hope so Wink

In the meantime:

Are there any other Windows Vista users experiencing the same problem or similar? Maybe somebody out there knows of a fix for this? If so, please reply to this message. It takes only a few minutes of your time and it may help so many people that visit this forum and are experiencing the very same problem.

Just post a reply to this message and thank you kindly.

Sincerely, Sara

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Hello!

I have the same laptop as you and I have the same problem. I cannot plug my external Lacie hard drive, the laptop recognize the hard  drive, but the laptop freeze when I go in the explorer to browae my files.. Have you solved this problem?

Sincerely p00tie

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:37 PM

• Okay, 1st of all....I'm not on a laptop. I use a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop home computer that is running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I have 2GB of RAM.

If you're having trouble with the explorer.exe program not loading your task manager, desktop background, etc. completely in Windows Vista, then you maight just have to do a system restore.

Go back to the most recent restore point (when you know your system worked for you). Perhaps the explorer.exe problem could have been caused by a software program you installed or even one that you might have uninstalled. Not every software/program or driver will always work in Windows Vista, since it is still a very new operating system from Microsoft.

Microsoft also has a toolkit that you may download for free from their website. It's called Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit and it's made for Windows Vista.

I am including some documents I've found on Microsoft that are helpful in many cases. View and try out the steps for yourself, just in case you decide against the system restore option. (Although, I think system restore is the BEST option for solving this particular problem)

LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF THIS HELPS
    ANYONE.

Sincerely, Sara 

DOCUMENT #1

What is Startup Repair?

Startup Repair is a Windows Vista recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. When you run Startup Repair, it scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer manufacturer has preinstalled recovery options, Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk. If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

How do I use Startup Repair on Vista?

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1. Insert the installation disc.

2. Restart your computer. Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next     to the Lock button Picture of Lock button, and then click Restart.

3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5. Click Repair your computer.

6. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer. Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button Picture of Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. Do one of the following:   

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

4. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

5. Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Are there problems that Startup Repair cannot fix?

Startup Repair cannot fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks. Startup Repair is not a backup tool, so it cannot help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents. To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly. For more information, search for "backup" in Windows Help and Support.

Startup Repair is not designed to fix Windows installation problems. For more information, see Troubleshoot Windows installation problems.

What if Startup Repair can't fix my problem?

If repairs are not successful, you'll see a summary of the problem and links to contact information for support. Your computer manufacturer might include additional assistance information.

DOCUMENT #2

System Configuration: its an advanced tool that can help identify problems that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. If you identify a program that is causing problems, you can check for updates or uninstall the program.

Using the Selective Startup option, you can turn services and startup programs on or off individually to see if the problem occurs the next time you restart your computer. If you select a check box, the service or startup program will run when you restart Windows. If the check box is cleared, the service or startup program will not run when you restart the computer.

Follow this procedure to use the process of elimination to identify the problem.

1. Open System Configuration by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking System Configuration.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. Click the General tab, click Selective startup, and then clear the Load system services and the Load startup items check boxes.
    3. Select the Load system services check box, click OK, and then click Restart.
    4. If the problem occurs after restarting, do one or both (if necessary) of the following tasks:

Identify the system service that is causing the problem

a. Click the Services tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first service that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem does not occur, then you can eliminate the first service as the cause of the problem.
    b. With the first service selected, select the second service check box, and then restart the computer.
    c. Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem. If you cannot reproduce the problem, then you can eliminate system services as the cause of the problem. Perform the following task:

Identify the startup item that is causing the problem

a. Click the General tab, and then select the Load startup items check box.
    b. Click the Startup tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first startup item that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem does not occur, then you can eliminate the first startup item as the cause of the problem.
    c. With the first startup item selected, select the second startup item check box, and then restart the computer. Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:35 AM
  • I pointed the driver updater from control panel to a "manifest file in (c:\windows\winsxs) that I found by searching for "usbstor". The system went through the install thingie and it picked up both of my Kingston DTs that I have been having problems with for 3 weeks. I just noticed that the "program" settings for my MS mouse buttons for IE went away so that might be a key.

Monday, October 08, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Before 2 months i bye a pc with vista 64bit ultimate (dual core prossesor). 3 days before i bay an external hard disk usb2 500gb Toshiba (PX1269E) but my computer don't recognize that (unknown device)! I dont have drivers (for vista 64 bit) and i can't find... PLease help!
    Friday, October 12, 2007 8:27 PM
  •  

Go to Local Disk (C), got to Windows, got to System32, go to Driverstore,  go to Filerepository, go to usbstor.inf ( click the on that is newest),  cop ythe usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF files. after you have copied the two files got to Windowws, inf folder and paste the files in that folder. Now yourt usb devives( flash drives, hardrives, ipods, etc.) should work.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Many thanks to WickedMX,

I bought a Corsair 8GB today and was shocked at home, beacause Vista wasn,t found drivers for it. I searched about 6 hours inside many forums for a solution and became also a headache during searching a solution. I copied this 2 files into windows/inf folder, updated driver and in few seconds I can used my new USB flash drive.

Thanks, thanks, thanks

Saturday, October 13, 2007 7:26 PM
  • WickedMX Did it!!!!!!
    I was backing up files and ready to install XP back on my machine when I fix it using this technique!
    I'm like and excited lil' school girl.
    Thanks again

.::HERPETON::.
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Thanks Alex,

I and a lot of new Vista users have had this problem with various USB hard drives; your solution fixes the problem immediately.

I hope all of the other victims read your post!!  Thanks again.
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:28 AM

Yes it worked that way. thanks

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Hello !

I have a similar problem on my vista machine. Initially i had no problems using USB drives. But suddenly one fine day it just stopped working. All USB ports, Sony camera USB access says " Need to format" . When I tried to format the USB drive it takes an unusually long time and fails at the end of it. U mentioned that the usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf were not available in windows/inf. But I have them too in the same place. Any advice u can give for me ?

regards,

krish

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:49 AM
  •  

Wicked MX, thank you so much. Your hint worked.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:50 AM
  • Like Krish, I seem to have the usbstor file in the info folder, as well as the system folders. I had no problems with cameras and any other hardware so far. However, trying to use a Lacie external hard drive, I get the Code 1 error, saying the drive is not configured correctly, and cannot install the driver.

Any help, anyone?

Thanks

Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:53 AM
  • To,
     Dear Sir
          Asking : Why wondow vista does not recognise USBcable (IEEE1394port)? I bought compaq laptop from your company on octorber.Till I could not use it as I want.     What thing Ihave to buy for the best capturing and how insttallation should be   done to connet computer  from Video camera?Plaec reply me as soon as possible.
                    Thanks you. 
          Yuor customer
                      Rev. L.Biak Son
                     Th,D
                      Seoul Christian University.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:06 AM
  • I had the same problemm I contacted Microsoft support and they connected me with a research support tech. who asked me to allow rhe use of remote assistant so he could fix the problem which was triggered by an update. It took him about three minutes or less to fix it. He had to go to the registery and a couple of other files. Now my computer runs great without problrems or any popup screens. Microsoft was very nice about the problerm fix and of course there was no charges involved.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Having been frustrated by this problem for some time now, are you able to advise what steps the Microsoft Tech took to resolve the issue?

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:20 AM
  • Sorry I let the tech do it remotely and all though I was watching on screen he did it so fast I couldnt follow what was going on especially when in the registry. All I know when he was through everything worked and he said I should never have that problem again and so far Vista has recognized everything I plug in including a Harmony remote for my TV. I was so frustrated and stubborn beforeI finally gave up and called. Stop the frustration make the call and maybr you can follow them better than I. All I know is after he was done all I had to do was a restart and everything pluged in came alive and has worked ever sense like it used to.

Monday, November 19, 2007 10:44 AM
  • Tried the usbstor.inf route with no success. Thanks to Seagate, this worked on my external USB drive (of another make), and for my Leica camera's usb connection as well. You start by running Computer Management -> Device manager:

If the drivers are not loaded properly: The drivers for the drive are included as part of Vista and normally load automatically, but occasionally the drivers will need to be loaded manually.  To load the drivers manually:

1.       Click the + box next to Other devices

2.       Double-click the drive (usually listed as USB Mass Storage, but may be listed under another name).

3.       A new Windows will open showing properties; click the Reinstall driver button.

4.       This will open the update driver software wizard, click "Locate and install driver software (recommended)".

5.       Then click "Browse my computer for driver software".

6.       Click Browse.

7.       Open the Windows folder on the C: drive (Computer > C: > Windows) and click OK.

8.       Make sure the "Include subfolders" box is checked.

9.       Click Next. This should load the drivers.

Be patient, after loading the first driver, I repeated steps 4-9 for two other usb drivers that it asked for. 

Here's the link to the Seagate article:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=ext-ts-vista&vgnextoid=694d8b0e50e73110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Working with Vista has been sooooo frustrating - nothing works out the box. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook dv9291ea that doesn't talk to an HP Deskjet 6980 on the LAN. XP drivers all work fine; can see the printer on the network, yet the Vista driver fails halfway through the install.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:15 AM
  • This solution 100% worked for me. I have a C700 (C715NR) Compaq Presario (google this and see if you can find it PM if you can because I can't) but long story short I upgraded to Ultimate for $26 thanks to an educational discount through UTSA and all of the sudden my old USB driver's stopped working but now thanks to this Solution that could only be thought of as pure divine intervention, all of my USB mass storage devices began to work again! This person saved a good two weeks of my life!

WickedMX wrote:

Hope this helps

Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:18 AM
  •  

No matter what I try I always get the Access is Denied Message, my inf and pnf files were already in the inf folder for wickeds technique, and trying to install the drivers manually doesnt work either.  Trying to get a 4gb Sandisk Flash drive and a Casio Digital Camera to work. Any help would be appreciated. Running Vista 64 bit Business.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:57 AM
  • I have the identical errors. " windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  USB mass storage device.  Access denied.

Please help.  I have identical USB drives, one works, the doesn't. 

Friday, December 07, 2007 4:48 AM
  • Hello ... First thanks for solving my problem.  Like everyone else I could not attach any new devices.  They all fail with Vista 32 telling me it can not find drivers.  These devices were ones it should know like a hub.  I found someone telling to just point the driver search to /windows/system32 and that solved it.  Yes it was a pain but at least I was not restoring my OS.  The other fix someone said with coping files to /windows/inf was not a issue with me, I had them in the right place

Then I found this link ( think from this thread) that is hotfix to fix when Vista can not find driver.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=51F0EF25-280B-4613-A600-C61224BACD1C&displaylang=en

Well THAT FIXED IT.  I do not seem to have any problems with connecting new USB devices. 

Hope that helps those people still with the problem.

Vinnie

Friday, December 07, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Thanks Vinnie, I took your advice and downloaded the patch which seems to have done the trick. I've tried every suggestion found in this, and a multitude of other forums to no avail. I was most curious to see what causes this error to occur and was able to replicate the error on a multitude of Vista units by installing some specific 3rd party software. In my case installing the software for my wireless broadband card (Telstra Next G from Australia) followed by installing the modem drivers for my Motorola Q9 mobile phone caused the corruption to occur. If I only installed the Wireless Card it was fine, or if I only installed the Q9 drivers it was fine. Installing them both and installing them in a particular sequence, wireless Card 1'st then the Q9 drivers, caused the error each and every time without fail on 3 different computers. I'm not at all suggesting that everyone's problem is related to Q9 drivers and wireless modem cards (most people would not have this combination), rather I'm suggesting that it has to do with some certain combinations of 3rd party software...perhaps in the modem/communications category that causes the corruption of the "windows/inf" folder and specifically the "infcache1" file found in the "windows/system32" area (which is vital for the "windows/inf" folder to function correctly). Anyway, just my 2 cents worth but thanks again for posting your solution, which in my case at least proved the fix as well.

Tony
    Monday, December 10, 2007 6:42 AM
  • I had some problems with Vista in combination with a Microsoft USB keyboard and a USB Western digital harddisk.

After deleting the file c:\windows\inf\cache.1 everything works fine now. It seems this file was corrupt.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:02 PM
  • hey man i tried to do what u said as i copyed the folder to the inf folder but it still dosnt work with my ipod flash drive and i bought this new thing Flip video but it dosnt let me install the driver cuz it shows that its not connected even thought the little camcorder is. got any other solutions ?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:25 PM
  • when i try to do that and install the driver to system 32 i get this error

windows found the driver software for your device but enountered an error while attempting to install it.
                                      usb mass storage device
                                       the system cannot find the file specified.

if you know the manufacturer of your device you can visist its website and cheak the support section for your driver software. ???

any one got anyidea what i can do i would really like to use my usb ports.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Hi everyone-

Sorry to hear this is affecting so many people. My team owns device installation in Windows Vista so I wanted to provide you with some more information on exactly why this is happening and how you can fix it.

Here's a quick summary of what's going on. Windows has a file (INFCACHE.1) that it uses to keep track of the driver packages that are available for installation on a given system. This file is protected against overwriting by applications by being ACL'ed to LocalSystem. We thought this would be enough to keep applications from touching it, since it's an internal structure and not exposed to 3rd parties. However, we learned that many 3rd party setup applications were in fact doing all the work to take control of this file and delete or corrupt it. In Windows XP we had some "just in case" code that would regenerate the file if it was corrupted in some situations. This code existed because the file was writable to administrator users and applications. In Windows Vista to eliminate some seldom-used code and clean up this exposure, we heightened the protection of this file to keep apps from touching it in the first place. We believed that by making it impossible for an app to accidentally overwrite the file, we'd eliminate this unnecessary race (let apps toast the file, then fix it in the background) and just keep the file intact all the time. Unfortunately, it seems that some apps are indeed intentionally finding this file and working around our permissions.

We've released a fix that adds some just-in-time repair code to our driver search paths, such that PnP will detect corruption and regenerate the file if necessary. The fix is what Vinnie pointed you to. The KB article describing it is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199.

We're working on getting it posted to Windows Update and pushed out to everyone so this problem doesn't affect anyone in the future. I hope this info was useful to you. Happy holidays and apologies we didn't catch this sooner.

-Euge

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:57 PM
  • thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem to help.  Vista doesn't recognize my IPOD.  In Device Manager it says "no drivers are installed for this device", BUT when I update the drivers, it says the drivers are already installed and that Windows has determined that the drivers are up to date.  ??? Which one is it?  I tried copying over the usbstor inf and pnf files (most recent) into the inf folder, but that didn't help.  I've browsed to specific folders when updating the drivers...that doesn't help.

I tried the patch you listed "940199"...that didn't work either. 

I like Vista so far, I'm hoping there's a quick resolution to this.

thanks and Happy Holidays!

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:40 AM
  •  

I can't even install Microsoft hardware (e.g., the LifeCam VX-7000 or Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard).  I've installed the drivers but Vista doesn't seem to know that.  Euge, wish I could say that this fix did the trick, but when I try to install the fix, I get a message that says "this update does not aply to my system."

Very Disappointed.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:45 AM
  • The solution is as follows:

Delete the INFCACHE.1 file from the Windows/inf/ folder.

There is even a need to reboot. Everything will work fine after that.

This file sometimes gets corrupted.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:07 PM
  • tried to download the patch and was informed that it did not apply to me.  If I delete the file will it cause me problems?
    jamespearl@(donotspam)hotmail.com
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:02 PM
  • I had this problem with all my USB pens. I ended up dual booting back to XP wasting a lot of time and have revisited microsoft to see if they had found a fix which todate they have not why??

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:35 PM
  • ATTENTION EVERYONE:

This is the solution to the issue being mentioned in this forum:

Delete the INFCACHE.1 file from the Windows/inf/ folder.

There is even a need to reboot. Everything will work fine after that.

This file sometimes gets corrupted.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Hi everyone.

I tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread.

Nothing worked for me.

No hotfix is working and also the solution in the last post isn't working.

Seems to be that the problem is very hard.

Please help all the people with this problem.

Kindly regards

Jose

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Now it goes around ....

It seems to be that I'm solute the problem. I installed the usbstore.inf from another computer to the windows/inf directory.

That worked. Suddenly all the hardware could be recognized. Founding the harware was never the problem.

But when I started to get my GPS Garmin get to work as a GPS Device (working as a mass storage device worked - and wis working) the problem started again. Even though when I started to get my my cell phone working as a cell phone (working as a memory stick worked - and is working) the problem/error occurs.

And now it won't work when I copy over the inf files. Nothing happen.

But perhaps there is a another device making problems. It is listed "PCI-Device" making an error in the System. I don't habe any PCI Devices in my computer. What could this be? I killed the MIDI Port in BIOS, but ist wasn't this entry.

Perhaps someone could help now again.

Kindly regards

Jose

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:02 PM
  •  

Did the patch fail to install, or did it succeed but not fix the problem? Would you please explain to me the exact steps you took to try and resolve this so I can understand what's happening?

Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Hi larasxgirlfriend. Have you tried installing the fix I listed earlier? We believe this fixes the problem so I'd be interested in whether this solves your issue.

-Euge

Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:15 PM
  •  

Yes. The Patch definitly fail to install.

And now another problem began.

I tried to remove items in the hardware manager with an ! 

But this was a hardly fault. I removed my soundcard (onboard) and until a restore of my system configuration (done this already) the soundcard never went back.

I think, the problem ist, that when I put in a new hardware (usb/pci/ etc.) Vista recognize the hardware but isn't abel to install it. Allways the errro message that the hardware could'nt be installed correctly. So if I went to go to buy new hardware I will have a big problem with my Windows Vista.

The solution for my problem was that I restored ma ysystem to a younger point. Now I do have my soundcard back and so on. But I don't know if its good to install new hardware, this should not work I think.

The problem is still alive. Hope the SP 1 would bring me/us the solution for those probs.

Jose

Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Ok how about this problem, I have an external usb 2.0 harddrive from trekstor. Vista HP installs it as a mass storage device, but I can't access the drive cause it keeps telling me to insert a disk into the drive. The disk drive is self powered and is on the rear usb ports on my system (Dell XPS 710) and shares the usb root hub with a lifecam vx-300 and a kingston 2GB thumb drive. I have tried all the various methods to get this to work, and followed the instructions from trekstors customer service to no avail, and I just got the drive today and have spent the past 12 hrs trying in vain to get it to work including re-installing vista, switching usb ports, uninstalling the usb root hubs unpluging everything but the drive. I cant format it or view it under disk management, all the info for it is greyed out, although I can change the drive letter so it must know its a drive. I would say its the drives fault but too many people can't get this or any other external drive to work properly in vista.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:02 AM

• Have you connected your drive to another computer? Worked it there?

Seems that your drive is broken.
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 10:20 AM
  • I have the same problem too.
    My motherboard is gigabyte 945P-S3.
    My computer don't recognized my PSP and my new IPOD TOUCH 8gig
    I have windwos vista ultimate.
    Other usb devices are working in the same USB ports like camera, mouse, keyboard, gamepad. Also, the psp and the ipod are working on other PC, in this case, with windows XP. So i don't think that the problem is with the hardware.

What to do? it's so irritated.
    Help please! i get tired of this problem.

Thank you

Sunday, January 06, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Hey Euge,

The KB940199 worked perfect for me, thanks!

Installed, rebooted and all good!

I had a HP Deskjet F2180 which was not taking the latest All-in-one driver, now ok!

Great post!!!...well done to "wickedwx" and others posting fixes/suggestions.

Though I will still stick with XP for a while yet!

Goodbye Vista! (Format cSmile

Micko

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Hi

I have a maxtor one touch external hard drive. i connect it to my new laptop running vista and the device lights come on and it starts humming so i know it's working. But it's not showing up on 'my computer' and i can't access my files. The remove usb mass storage device icon is there and if i right click on it it tells me i can remove maxtor one touch safely but nowhere can i access it. Have done the windows inf folder ubstore thing and tried to delete infcache.1 but it won't let me it says I need permission to do this

please hep

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Ok, so copying the usbstor.inf from another computer worked for me to install a usb hard drive i have, but now (a few weeks later), I cant install a basic USB keyboard or USB hub. It says:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. GENERIC USB HUB. The System cannot find the file specified."

-I've tried deleting the infcache.1 file which did nothing to help.

-I've tried applying that patch, which installed successfully, and rebooted, but didnt do anything either.

I'm a microsoft certified engineer, and I've NEVER seen anything like this before. I mean, a brand spanking new OS that cannot install a USB keyboard?!?! I had to dig out an old PS2 KB just to type this message. Lord knows what other USB devices I cant use.

Quite Frankly, It's very dissappointing that there are 9 pages on this thread alone full of people having this same problem, and we only have 1 microsoft employee giving input, and a link to a patch that evidently does nothing. I hate to have to go back to XP, but if this is not resolved soon, that will be the case.

Come on Microsoft, please do something here to help all of us poor people who spent good money for an operating system that doesnt support USB devices. PLEASE.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:49 PM
  • anyone still having problems, here are the easy to follow instructions, i work in a computer repair shop and we have had lots of calls about this, this has resolved the problem for every single customer so far. its the same as the info already in this thread, ive just simplified it a bit, hope it helps

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

2. Find a folder named usbstore, there there could be a few with the same name, but different dates, choose the latest one.

3. open the folder.

4. there will be a file called usbstor.inf, right click and select copy.

5. Now go to C:\Windows\Inf

6. Paste the usbstor.inf file into this folder using right click and select paste, or ctrl+v.

7. Now insert your usb device, Vista will see it and load some driver, quite afew, bear with it, it will work.

Friday, January 18, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Non of this works for me, I tried to install a new hard drive. PNP sees the driver but wont install gives me an access denied error. When I log in under admin it tells me driver not found. The device works fine if I click ask me later. In an effort to see if it was the drive I switched it with a drive that works, now both drives will not install. Everytime I reboot PNP tries to install a driver thats already installed. Hot fix will not install. INF replacement doesnt work and INF cache delete didnt work.Vista Ultimate 64. Can someone ix this please.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:41 AM
  •  

One more here...

I've been having the same problem and tried to fix it a whole day.

I tried the patch, I tried to copy inf file over the inf folder, nothing works.

I hope somebody can resolve this matter asap.

Thank you.

PS - Vista 64bit Home Premium

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:32 AM
  • Same problem here with Microsoft LifeCam VX-7000.
    I tried all the workaround.
    I'm using Vista Home Premium 32.

Release a fix please!

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Thanks so much for this info!  It worked very well for me after trying a number of different things.  Appriciate your advice!

Bill

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Great, I installed the patch and now it finds the device but says a required INF entry is missing because it was probably made for Windows 95. Any way to fix that?
    Friday, January 25, 2008 9:15 PM
  • I did find the usbstor.inf but I can't figure out how to copy and past it in the C:\Sindows\inf.
    I am trying to get Vista to recognize my USB memory drive.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:28 AM
  • I also am having a problem getting my Corsair Padlock to be recognized.
    I have read all the posts on how to copy and paste the usbstor.inf into the the windows/inf folder. But I can't figure out how to do it.
    I sure can uses help on this.   I'm not computer illiterate but this process has me stumped.

kaloder wrote:

Many thanks to WickedMX,

I bought a Corsair 8GB today and was shocked at home, beacause Vista wasn,t found drivers for it. I searched about 6 hours inside many forums for a solution and became also a headache during searching a solution. I copied this 2 files into windows/inf folder, updated driver and in few seconds I can used my new USB flash drive.

Thanks, thanks, thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:42 AM
  •  Gray-Catchpole wrote:

anyone still having problems, here are the easy to follow instructions, i work in a computer repair shop and we have had lots of calls about this, this has resolved the problem for every single customer so far. its the same as the info already in this thread, ive just simplified it a bit, hope it helps

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

2. Find a folder named usbstore, there there could be a few with the same name, but different dates, choose the latest one.

3. open the folder.

4. there will be a file called usbstor.inf, right click and select copy.

5. Now go to C:\Windows\Inf

6. Paste the usbstor.inf file into this folder using right click and select paste, or ctrl+v.

7. Now insert your usb device, Vista will see it and load some driver, quite afew, bear with it, it will work.

No go, TRied this fix yet again, and it gives the same Error:

Windows Found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

GENERIC USB HUB

The System cannot find the file specified.

I see that Mr. Microsoft... "Eugene Lin" from page 8 is stumped too, and seems to be avoiding this topic.

At This point, saying that I regret paying money for and upgrading to Vista is an understatement. Thank you microsoft for making me feel like fool for purchasing your new OS.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with microsoft, trying to get a support technician on the line, and they said they would have to charge me $59. After I talked to the customer reps supervisor she refused to work with me about this issue, or wave the $59 fee for a problem with their OS. They just kept sending me to their website for support.

Its amazing to me how absolutely Money thirsty microsoft is, they wouldnt even talk to me about the issue with their Broken Operating system without trying to get MORE money out of me. This is INSANE! Thank you microsoft for giving me no other choice but to ditch Windows Vista.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:43 PM

• The patch I referred to in my previous post is designed to address the problem where you plug in a device and Windows Vista doesn't find a driver for it, even though the driver is present on the machine (typically an inbox driver). I've seen a couple of folks posting about other problems such as matrixclese's problem where Windows finds a driver but hits a problem installing it. 

Glassdentist, from your description it sounds like you're hitting this problem. Have you tried installing the patch? If not you can install it from here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199.

PingouinEncore, what error are you getting when you try to install the Lifecam? Is Windows telling you it couldn't find a driver, or are you getting some other error?

Matrixclese, I am indeed still here and offended by your comments. For clarity, I am in the product development team and not in the product support org, and I am not involved in the decisions around how much customer service reps charge for support calls or really anything to do with money here at Microsoft, so I ask that you consider the effectiveness of your rants in giving me further incentive to help you. I'm looking into problems around usbstor.inf installation and am trolling thru our error reporting data and will report back on what I find.

-Euge

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Eugene, everyone with this issue --

Like yourselves, this one had me stumped. I wanted to if at all possible to avoid having to try and do a reinstall of Vista,

mostly because I'd wound up with 30GB on the machine of my own files and they'd all need to be transferred off if I wanted to try a reinstall.

I did the hotfixes in relation to this, and almost every single piece of advice in relation to the USB device issue on this (and many other threads! - including regedit stuff and swapping about USBSTOR files) but NOTHING worked.

The best Microsoft could suggest on their Ireland helpline - thankfully I was NOT charged! - was to plug out the machine, leave it for 5 minutes and plug it back in! (Apparently USB ports on Vista get charged with static; funny how that had never happened on XP or any of the other OSs!)

Anyway, needless to say the Microsoft solution didn't work. 

But before I got closer to that inevitable reinstall, I did try something. And sure enough it worked a treat.

Microsoft Windows Updates caused the problem for me! The machine was set to pick up the updates automatically and had found some and done so in the second week I had this laptop. Of course, the USB devices worked fine in the first week but NOT in the second. Now I see why my USB devices were suddenly not being found. It had done the automatic updates at some point in between the USB devices working and not working, and for me, no other fix would undo whatever a particular update had done.

Now, not expecting this solution to work in the first place, I cannot be 100% sure which of the udpates was the culprit. I see now that Vista is recommending I pick up 14. It was possibly one of the 10 which are Windows Vista specific. (The other 4 were not updated at any point, so I'm excluding them.)

One of these is very likely the cause of many other users' problem:

1) KB941644 - Security Update
    2) KB939159 - Update for Vista

3) KB942763 - Update for Vista

4) KB941229 - Media Center Update

5) KB932471 - .NET Update of some kind

6) KB905866 - Windows Mail Junk Email Filter something-or-other

7) KB941649 - Update for Vista

8) KB941651 - Update for Vista

9) KB943302 - Update for Vista

10) KB943899 - Update for Vista

Most of those go back to the last few months of last year, though the earliest is from June 2007.

I fully believe if any of the users with the USB device issue in this thread REMOVE those, we will determine if one of them - or other updates - are the cause. I suppose they should preferably be removed one by one unlike me - I had no patience to restart between each, so I just did the lot and then restarted.

I hope this is of some help. I was on the verge of just installing XP on this BRAND NEW laptop!

As for Vista's developers, and as I said today on the phone to Microsoft - whatever about the other changes in this OS, the fact that something as simple as USB devices failing to be recognised/function/find drivers has become such a serious problem for so many suggest Vista was released a bit too early. It's just too serious a bug to believe it wasn't caught before. (In Microsoft's defence, though, I will concede what the lady told me on the phone today - this particular problem, she said, is only affecting OEM and upgraded from XP versions of Vista, so that might explain why it wasn't spotted in-house by the developing engineers.)

Anyway, hope that is of some help to all those still caught! 

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:42 PM
  • I have uninstalled all the updated you said...

and it's didn' work Sad
    i still get the message "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED"

i think it's a problem with my motherboard and vista... (it's Gigabyte 945P-S3)

Friday, February 01, 2008 11:56 AM
  •  

I am really irritated about my hp laptop because when I connect my usb and afterwhile safely remove it, the computer says it is now safe to remove but the light from the usm does not disappear. It means that the usb wasn't remove properly. What can I do, if this continue this might ruin my usb. Thank you
    Friday, February 01, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Eugene-

I appreciate the efforts and I don't intend shoot the messenger but I think we all are hoping for a fix to this.

Just wanted to add my experience - for what it's worth- I'm having the same USB Wireless Mouse problem...  with two different mice.

My Laptop is a Compaq (HP) Presario running Vista. 

First tried a Logitech V220 which I returned thinking it was the mouse (Sorry Logitech). Got a MS Wireless Optical 3000 thinking that surely a Microsoft Mouse would work with Vista.

The hardware device is recognized but I get the same

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. ...The System cannot find the file specified." error.

Without going off on a "How did Microsoft ever release this?" rant that won't help to resolve the issue, here's what I tried:

-Tried to delete the \inf\infcache.1 file.

-Found that permissions on the folder didn't allow me to do that. -

-Changed owner of \inf from "Trusted Installer" to <machine>\administrators, set the permissions to full control and deleted the file.

-Rebooted and tried in Device Manager to reinstall the driver. Got the same result and noticed that the infcache.1 file didn't get restored.

-Tried the KB940199 patch and got the "doesn't apply to .." message.

-Rebooted and saw that the infcache.1 file was back. (From the patch even though it "didn't apply"?)

-Tried again in DM to reinstall the driver. Still no luck.

-Tried the "copy ubstor.inf from \System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" method with the same results.

I thought maybe there was a permissions issue so I made the administrators  the owner of the entire Windows folder with full control. As a last ditch deperate measure, I uninstalled the driver software, turned off the wireless network, turned off the firewall and anti-virus (ZoneAlarm), reinstalled the driver software and tried adding the mouse hardware again. You guessed it- same results.

BTW, the software (MS IntelliPoint) does install- I get the Mouse shortcut and can open it but all it sees is the touchpad.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Well,

today I tried to plug in another USB Mass storage.

Nothing happened, same problem for weeks now.

And it's not only a mass storage problem. I do have this problems with every (new) usb device.

All the solutions mentioned didn't help (work).

I hope MS will offer a patch that rwly works for all, and not only for a few of us.

Kindly Regards.

Jose

Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Hi KeithSz-

Are you able to System Restore to before this problem was happening? Did you install or uninstall anything around the time this problem started?

Would you let me know the exact text of the "doesn't apply to..." message you're getting?

-Euge

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 1:16 AM
  • I had solved this in the past successfully via deleting infcache.1 and copying the usbstor file over to the inf dir.

but now I am in the same boat as others. I cannot install any usb devices beyond the ones that got recognized in the past. the most recent one I installed was just last week (usb canon scanner). now I get an error message that it cannot find drivers. when I try to install the hotfix I get a message from Windows Update Standalone installer that says: The update does not apply to your system.

running in circles here and of course pretty upset about this disaster.
    looking forward to a 'real' solution. I cannot believe that there are so many here and this has been going on for a year already?

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:46 AM

• Hi Euge,

I haven't done a system restore. All I did was uninstall the mouse driver software via Control Panel. No other hardware was installed recently. The last drivers that were installed were the network printer drivers for a Brother 5460 printer. I have two flash drives - a Sandisk Cruzer that doesn't work (problem with Sandisk- not Vista) and a PNY that works fine. If you need to know of other software let me know but I'll leave it out for now to keep it short.

The message text was simply the " update doesn't apply to your system" when running the KB940199. I will run it again tonight to see if there was any addition text but I think that was it.

On a side note, I was comparing notes with a friend who recently got a Vista notebook- they installed a wireless USB mouse with no problem. It has me wondering if this is actually an OS issue or an issue with a given OEM setup/ configuration?

I had an unrelated issue with a Vista box at work and found the following:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1210644&SiteID=17

Symptoms, the error "The "\\servername\sharedfolder" does not exist. The file may have been moved or
    deleted. Do you want to create it?" comes up if a user copies a file from the Share, edits the file and then tries
    to copy it back. You are however able to successfully save the file locally ?
    A second issue was not being able to rename folders/files on the Share. Again locally is fine just over the
    network is an issue.
    Cause : Possibly the way the OEM vender packaged the OS.
    Resolution : Create the parameters key in the following location :
    HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/csc/parameters
    Then within the parameters key, create a DWORD Value named FormatDatabase with a value of 1 (hex) then
    reboot the machine.
    That registry entry solved the problem. Could this be a similar type of issue?

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:42 PM
  •  

Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Any solution found until now?

Someone who tried it with the new final SP1 for Vista?

Perhaps the problem is solved within SP1?

Greetings

Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:56 AM
  •  

well i believe i have read every forum out about the ipod and none of the above suggestions worked for me. it seems that my problem was a simple reset (which i never saw posted anywhere) so here goes just hold down the menu and center buttons for about 6 sec. while the ipod is attached to the Vista machine via the usb cord. This caused both the ipod and the usb connections to reset and everything is beautiful again.

Hope this helps some other lost souls...

Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:21 PM
  • About the "Update doesn't apply to your system"

Try this:

1. Download the Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.msu file to a folder, e.g. e:\download

2. run cmd as administrator, in the command window, type

expand /f:* e:\download\Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.msu e:\download

You will get four files extracted, among which the Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab is the needed package

3. type:

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:e:\download\Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab

Wait for the package to be installed. (it takes about 1 minute) Then restart the computer.

However....it doesn't help to solve the problem of already finding the driver but hitting problems when installing it.

Maybe KB943986 works.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/943986

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Doesn't work.

The package won't install anything.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I'm too am having a terrible time getting Windows 32-bit Vista or itunes to recognize my brand new 160GB ipod classic (ipod software version 1.0.3 PC, newest itunes 7.6.0.29). I've spent the last two days going through Apple's 5 Rs (4 or 5 times, now)... pouring through various forums... updated all the USB drivers... reassigned my slave drive letter to make sure there's no conflict... moving .inf files and pointing the ipod towards them... deleting infcache1... MS hotfix (doesn't apply to my device)... nothing is working.

The ipod is seen in the Device Manager as an "unknown device", but that's it.  Nothing under "My Computer" indicating it as a drive.  Nothing in itunes.

The "USB Mass Storage Device" and "Apple ipod Controller" are listed under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and all drivers are up to date.

The ipod is listed as an "unknown device" in the device manager.  When I try to update and install the driver for the "unknown device", it automaticly searches windows and the internet, but finds nothing. When I point it towards my C:\Windows\System32 folder (or elsewhere as suggested) it locates a driver... but encounters an "unknown error" when installing.

Absolutely nothing has worked for me! I'm not new to itunes, ipods or working with Windows Vista. This is terribly frustrating as I now have a $350 paperweight! Ironiclly, all other USB devices are working (camera, external hard drive, USB memory stick, USB wireless mouse) and I just sold and shipped my 5g 60GB WHICH WAS WORKING PERFECTLY!

Ugggggghhhhhhhh!!!

Please, please, please help!  This appears to be an ongoing theme on the Apple support boards, too.  The new classics aren't recognized by Vista machines.  Frustrating to say the least.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:47 PM
  • hi,

I have an identical problem on vista x64 ultimate (dutch).

For all new usb devices, the usb controller and diskstation driver are loaded, but not the driver for the volume name.

The drive is visible in disk manager without drive letter.

Deleting infcache, hotfix(doesn't apply to device) does not work.

There is a unknown device. Pointing to the system32 folder also gives an unknown error after installing.

Older usb device which were connected in the beginning are working ok.

If anyone has a solution or workaround, please share it with us.

Greetz
    Friday, February 15, 2008 12:17 PM
  • EXACTLY!!!

Mine shows up in the disc manager as well... even labeled "ipod" and listing 148GB of disc spacs.

Deleting infcache had no effect... nor did moving around the usbappl.inf files forom the file repository as described here: http://teknobabble.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/ 

Vista just keeps asking for a driver and when I point it towards one... runs into an error when intalling.  The hotfix provided adressing this exact issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199) hasn't worked nad I get an error saying "This update doesn't apply to your system". O Rly!?!  Hmmmm... Windows Vista 32... exact same error when mounting my ipod.  Sure SOUNDS like it SHOULD!

Tried this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-us but actually found the CD/DVD upper and lower filters in a different key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.  Still no joy, though.  Starting itunes just gives an error message saying it requires the registry entry to burn CD's and asks that I re-install itunes.  Attempts to connect prior to reinstalling (since it still runs) have no effect.

Tried restarting itues service http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307078 but it just hangs.  Reinstalling and restarting has no effect.

It just kills me that I can see the ipod connected in the Device Manager ("unknown device") and in Computer Management/Storage/Disc Management ("Rmovable Disc 1" with 148 GB).

So frustrating.  This is the first problem I've run into with Vista that has stumped me for more than 24-hours and has really got me feeling stupid.

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:47 PM
  • My ipod worked fine, until the upgrade last night.  I love how the upgrades makes things that used to work, not work at all.  Anyone have any other fixes for my suddenly unknown ipod?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Exactly!  Now I'm having the same problems with any NEW USB device.  All the old stuff (camera, slave drive etc.) works fine.  But it won't recognize driver's or properly install them for anything that hasn't been previously installed.

Work-arounds listed in this thread and the hotfix describing this very issue don't seem to work, either.  Poking around I'm getting some indications that my 4 USB 2.0 ports are no longer recognized as 2.0.  Still troubleshooting, though.  I'll post if I come up with anything more difinative.

Dear Microsoft.  Please fix this issue ASAP.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:20 PM
  • MSH441

I'm having the same problem with my new IPOD TOUCH 8GB.
    I get the error "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED" and my VISTA 32BIT Machine recognized it as an unknown device....

In my XP machine... it works!

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:48 PM
  •  PDRBECK wrote:

I pointed the driver updater from control panel to a "manifest file in (c:\windows\winsxs) that I found by searching for "usbstor". The system went through the install thingie and it picked up both of my Kingston DTs that I have been having problems with for 3 weeks. I just noticed that the "program" settings for my MS mouse buttons for IE went away so that might be a key.

THANK YOU! Told it to search in c:\windows\winsxs and voilá.

BTW, I'm on Vista ultimate x64 and had no luck with WickedMX's solution.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:09 PM
  • I'm on Vista Home Premium 32-bit and have had the same issue with my built-in USB-based multi-card reader (SD/CF/etc).  Since disassembling the machine to unplug and replug isn't a good option, I regularly just Uninstall the device (which appears as "Unknown device"), then reboot.  If I don't reboot, it'll put it right back in under Unknown Device.  It's a major pain, but at least it recovers full functionality.  I haven't put SP1 on that particular machine yet, but I'll give it a try.

Curiously, it seems to be affected depending on the other USB drives I have attached at the time (not a power issue--they're attached to a powered hub).

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:40 PM
  • After 3 days of deleting infcache etc, loading hotfixes that didn't want to apply to my system I still couldn't get my logitech wireless desktop set to work (although it had worked before). So I went out and bought a Microsoft wireless 5000 desktop set in the foolish belief that Microsoft hardware must work with microsoft software Vista 64 Ultimate.

Plugged it all in - got the usual your USB device is broken, not recognised etc.

So decided it must be a hardware problem with my system

A8n VM CSM motherboard

4 mb ram

2 sata raid disks

AMD 64bit 4800 processor

Couldn't find anything obvious so upgraded the BIOS to 10.07 and guess what - no better.

Just before I conteplated putting the whole lot in the skip, I was so frustrated, I went into the discarded equipment drawer and found an old self powered USB 4 port hub (from the days when pc's only came with 2 USB ports) plugged it in and Vista recognised it as a USB hub and loaded it. - I then plugged my wireless keyboard receiver into the hub and guess what - Everything lit up and worked perfectly.

Don't ask me why this worked, I don't know - it was just a hunch, but if helps anyone else avoid days of misery with the system this is for you.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:37 PM
  •  

Something has gone serious wrong with one of the latest updates of VISTA and its really causing headaches even for myself with years of Windows Experience at Guru level.

Im running a standard Dell Keyboard with USB connection , Wireless Logitech VX7 Mouse and I have two external HDD which did work perfect , VISTA has always accepted these devices before no problem until this morning when I thought My mouse had died so like you do I checked the batteries which i changed with new ones and also the connection and still nothing , Vista didn't even detect it as a device when I plugged it in. Ok so I need to do a reboot I try the keyboard and guess what that is dead aswell even the keyboard lights were off which is very strange. I reconnected the USB devices and VISTA did nothing even the lights didn't come on so im thinking it has to be a USB Driver issue ?.

I rebooted at the at the switch and im waiting for the keyboard to flash and nothing. I tried connecting an external HDD device to see if there is an issue with the USB connections but the HDD powered up so the USB was working but for some reason VISTA doesn't want to connect to these devices.

After about 4 reboots I managed to get the keyboard working but it was very touch and go ocassionally it would just die....I deleted the copied the USBSTORE INF to the /inf/ directory and now I thinks my mouse is some sort of USB 1.0 Unknown device. Everytime I try and update the drivers for the mouse it doesn't find nothing not in system32 or the inf directories Ive installed Logitech drivers through the executable and still nothing, everytime I reconnect the device windows just says device not recognised !.

So Im not sure what to do next , my HDD wont load in windows and neither will my Mouse , anybody any ideas ?

Regards

Simon

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:40 PM
  • This issue had me puzzled for about a week until a few minutes ago.

Symptoms:   Old usb devices worked fine
    new usb devices would not install
    patch Windows6.0-KB940199-x86 or x64 would not install (error "this update does not apply to your system")
    pointing the installation to C:\windows\system32 returned an error

The issue is solved now and I took a few roads to get here. I tried moving around the usbstor and deleting the infcache.1 with no results. My computer had best results with number 3 but i will post all my steps.

1. I opened the device manager and uninstalled all the entries under Universal Serial Bus Controller. Vista will try to reinstal them as you uninstal, just keep track of what you have uninstalled already. After you have uninstalled all the entries restart Vista. After this I tried installing my new usb device... no luck

2. Download update KB940119 (either x86 or x64), using 7-zip extract the installation file and copy the file Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab to c:\ (i choose c:\ because it was easy to type). In CMD type "start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:c:\Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab" (copied from earlier post xechvol) after install, reboot machine again. I tried my devices after this and again nothing.

3. After plugging in my new usb device, from the Device Manager window, click "Unknown Device" and click update driver. Click Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Either navigate to or type C:\Windows\winsxs and go on from there. This one worked for me after pulling up a warning about the driver not being digitally signed or something.

I have rebooted my computer and installed 3 other new usb devices all of different nature and all three have installed fine without needing any input from me (just the way it used to be).

I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite A-215

Hope this helps
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Here's my tale of woe...

I purchased a midi-to-usb cable from M-AUDIO called an UNO. This device has a midi device inline in the cable.

This device is a class-compliant unit that works as advertised when I plug it into an XP PC.

When I plug it into my Vista Home Premium PC the light on the midi device stays on for a few seconds and then goes dark. I also get a failure beep and when I open the Device Manager I see a yellow triangle with an exclamation point "!" on the device I just plugged in. The device is labeled VIEWCON. The error associated with this device is:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

The INF name used is wdma_usb.inf

I've searched everywhere for a solution.

I hope I can find a solution here...

Or, I hope someone can point me to a source where I can find a solution...

I've tried two different hotfixes from microsoft including the one you suggested.

It said it does not apply to my system.

The cable is supposed to allow me to play the piano and record my notes in Finale NotePad2008.

Please help if you can...

Thank you.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Hi

This Solution worked like a dream

I have a HP 6715B, and USB drives have never worked on this computer.

Apllied your fix, and all my drives was installed, Great!!!

regards

Eirik

Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Thankyou so much, this was the only thing that worked.

It worked for my usb flash.

I am amazed that when i tried searching all of the c:\windows drive and subfolders it found nothing.

But when I tried c:\windows\winsxs it picked it up.

It did advice not to install as it did not know if it was compatible, I igored that and installed it.

I had to reboot and then then worked fine.

Once again, many thanks!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 10:25 PM
  • I encountered the "USB Device Not Recognized" error for the first time a couple of days ago..

I have a new PC, and I'd just bought a new printer; a HP PhotoSmart 5280 to be exact. The installer asked me to plug in the cable, and turn the printer on. I did so, and instead of installing the necessary drivers it said that it wasn't recognised and had malfunctioned.. I searched Google, and found that many had encountered this error. However, every suggestion that I had read, and tried, didn't work. I came to the conclusion that the printer was faulty, as I'd tried my old HP DeskJet 940c printer, and that installed with no problem. So I sent it back and got a refund.

I then bought a Canon iP4500, and to my horror - the same problem appeared! USB Device Not Recognized. At this point, I started to worry that there was a serious fault with my PC. I'd tried literally everything, stumbled upon this thread and tried all suggestions - nothing worked! I then decided to go out and buy a quality USB2 wire, more of a last resort than anything.. I found one at my local Currys store. A Belkin Professional USB 2.0 Device Cable. It was priced up at £29.99, but I figured if it worked - then it would be worth it.. I got home, plugged it in, powered up the printer - and to my amazement and absolute relief, it installed!

£29.99 for a cable is an outrage IMO, but the previous cable I'd used which worked for the old printer, but neither of the new ones, was a cheap thing I'd picked up from eBay. Modern technology can be so picky!! It seems that you tend to get what you pay for though, even where cables are concerned now!

Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Thank you, it seems that this is the solution c:\windows\winsxs.  Vista issues a warning about the driver, but and then it works! 

Friday, March 07, 2008 3:34 PM
  • I did try the Winsxs feature but nothing happened. It turns out that my motherboard USB Controllers died , as there was no power comming out of the connections , I had to buy a PS2 style keyboard and mouse just to re-install vista to see if its something with Windows but it looks like it was dead. Also the latest chipset ASUS released was in 2006 and Vista for some reason just didn't accept the drivers.

I bought a new Vista Ready motherboard Abit for £70.00 which was little tricky to move over but after 2 hours of hardwork and a new installation of Vista , every device was recognised and the chipset drivers are 2008 and Vista Ready so... my only advice is to upgrade to a Vista ready motherboard with a good chipset.

I now have 8 USB devices plugged in and everything is working Smile .

I wish you guys the best of luck , if in doubt upgrade Smile

Friday, March 07, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  

I don't understand where you copied the pnf and inf files from and where to.  Can somebody help me? I'm pretty sure I have this problem too.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 5:24 AM
  •  

Finally! Only 11 Pages of Reading!! This is obviously a driver problem. Microsoft! Give us a NEW DRIVER!!

#3 Was My Solution Also.

Thanks for the Suggestions...

Sggd2 wrote:
    This issue had me puzzled for about a week until a few minutes ago.

patch Windows6.0-KB940199-x86 or x64 would not install (error "this update does not apply to your system")

The issue is solved now and I took a few roads to get here. I tried moving around the usbstor and deleting the infcache.1 with no results. My computer had best results with number 3 but i will post all my steps.

1. I opened the device manager and uninstalled all the entries under Universal Serial Bus Controller. Vista will try to reinstal them as you uninstal, just keep track of what you have uninstalled already. After you have uninstalled all the entries restart Vista. After this I tried installing my new usb device... no luck

2. Download update KB940119 (either x86 or x64), using 7-zip extract the installation file and copy the file Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab to c:\ (i choose c:\ because it was easy to type). In CMD type "start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:c:\Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.cab" (copied from earlier post xechvol) after install, reboot machine again. I tried my devices after this and again nothing.

3. After plugging in my new usb device, from the Device Manager window, click "Unknown Device" and click update driver. Click Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Either navigate to or type C:\Windows\winsxs and go on from there. This one worked for me after pulling up a warning about the driver not being digitally signed or something.

I have rebooted my computer and installed 3 other new usb devices all of different nature and all three have installed fine without needing any input from me (just the way it used to be).

Hope this helps

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Number 3 did the trick for me too. Thank you very much!!!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Hey all   need help here  am having same prob as everyone else it seems     I have a kodak digital camera that uses usb n also printer works     but when i tried to install all stuff needed for my new vimicro usb pc camera  and also for my usb thing for my samsung cell phone   all comes up with same   usb device not recognized  

One of the usb devices attached th this computer has malfunctioned   I have read many and i do mean many forums   and well   I am not nearly as comp lit as rest of you   so  could someone please put something that may work in computer dummy terms     thanks alot   have spent over 7 hours reading and trying  and reading  

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Sggd2,

I thank you for you endless persuit to fix your USB problem.  Because I to, as many others have the same issue with the Vista USB driver issue.  I have spend more time than needed to one the problem. Searching Goggle, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple, MSN, Ask, and Dogpile search engines to find the answer.  I am going to contact Apple with your fix, so that they may pass it on to others.  Once again I THANK YOU for your fix.

PS You found the answer on my b-day-  odd!!!

JPD

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:46 AM
  • Sddg2 wrote this on 24 Feb 08,

Hope this helps

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR120E, this fixed it.  Give it a try!!!!

Bwairman

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:00 AM
  • yo dude!.. thnx a lot!.. iot really works for me!..
    thank God my psp will be put new games now.. thnx to you also!...

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  

Ok THIS APPLIES TO NEW IPOD CLASSICS/IPOD NANO

12 pages later.... i have read positively everything, TRIED possitively everything.... every single fix, and every single suggestion does not seem to work

Whenever i connect my new 160GB Ipod to my Laptop (HP Pavilion dv8000) the driver is installed as a
    "USB mass storage device" and what seems to be its sub description is "Apple ipod usb device".

When i turn on itunes the Ipod is not recognised at all.... i have tried the famous 5 R's suggested on the apple support website... i have the most up to date itunes, i have tried every usb port on my machine... i have triep the file swapping suggestion in the windows/inf file.... i have tried deleteing the cache1 file.... i have done so much more on top of that....NOTHING WORKS

my ipod is still recognised as a usb mass storage device and not as Dave's Ipod! I have looked through nearly every message board online and every fix that has been suggested, every little idea has come to no avail... i am stuck with my incredibly slow home desktop computer and its one song an hour rate of uploading onto my ipod!

It seems that no matter  what i do Vista overrides the communication between my ipod and itunes, because the ipod IS recognised just not by itunes.... im am wondering if there is a file or an update which has caused this..

Concerning the post by the man who suggested the 10 updates to be deletedi would appreciate some direction as to wher these updates are to be found and deleted! and how i can avoid these updates in the future!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Windows sort out this mess..... fair play to Euge who has been set this enormous task of dealing with a truely awful PR disaster... I was originaly offered with the FIX that Euge came up with earlier in the Thread, it was found by my system as a suggested fix to the problem and im sure that for many people this was very successful so to Euge i say well done for helping those people, unfortunately i was not so lucky i am one to whom it "does not apply".

Keep working at it though! surely this will be fixed soon, otherwise Windows have a serious mal practice case against them, jeopardising their customers systems to an ill-prepared system.

I do not want to downgrade!

Help me please!

Dave

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:59 AM
  • This also has been the absolute bane of my existence for near on 3 months. So much so that I went and bought a new printer (!) convinced that the "old one" (read 1 year old) was not up to scratch and thinking that if the manufacturer had done it's job then it would have a Vista capable driver......hah - how wrong I was. Microsoft - wake up to yourself - scour the forums and consolidate this excellent information into answers that help the "average user" solve their problems or you will continue to get the negative (and much deserved after my expereience) press and tirades against Vista.

The pnf and inf solution didn't work for me but WickedMX did help as he/she prompted me to dig around for info pertaining to "update driver wizard". On searching against that I found an entry for updating driver software against a known device. It turned out that this did the trick for me and after 3 months I now have a printer....it was under unknown device and when I updated driver software....magic! here's the guide (obviously change "sound video..." etc. for the device you're having problem eg printer).

R-E-L-I-E-F at last!!!!

Windows Vista

To update the sound card driver, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    2. Click Device Manager.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    3. Expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
    4. Double-click the sound card, and then click the Driver tab.
    5. Click Update Driver Software.
    6. Follow the Update Driver Software Wizard to update the sound card driver.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Sggd2, in your 24 Feb 2008 6:29 PM posting, in step 3 of your message:

"3. After plugging in my new usb device, from the Device Manager window, click "Unknown Device" and click update driver. Click Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Either navigate to or type C:\Windows\winsxs and go on from there. This one worked for me after pulling up a warning about the driver not being digitally signed or something."

This worked for my USB2.0 hubs (x2), "Generic Volume" (a seagate hard drive, internal, SATA, which worked unless i went through the new hardware wizard - if i tried to follow the usual, it would remove the drive from availability until reboot and new "new hardware detected" message which i had been dismissing with the X because "don't ask me again" disabled it) and a scanner (USB).

This is insane crazy craziness.

but thanks. Why did this idea come up? And more importantly, why is it that using C:\Windows (check include sub-folders) fails to work??

cheers,

-jace
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:27 PM
  • I have had similar problems iwth Ultimate 64 bit. Up until recently I had only a USB external hard drive that was working just fine. Occasionally when booting, Vista would not recognize it but turning it off and then back on solved the problem. I have now purchased a new scanner. If I plug it in with my external drive connected, I get a USB device not recognized. However if I remove the hard drive, and then plug the scanner in it works fine. I can then add the hard drive which is recognized but at the point the scanner stops working. Apparently Vista can only handle one USB device at at a time. It's got to be a software issue with Vista as they both work fine in XP!

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Thats it!!! This worked for me as well. I had a kingston datatraveller that wouldn't work because an unknown device was also added in the device manager. Also after installing the latest vista update my cordless logitech mouse didn't work anymore. Same problem, same solution, same outcome they both work fine.

Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Solution found!

After installing SP1 for Windows Vista now everything works fine.

All the old USB Hardware has been recognized.

Perhaps you should try this.

The sokution mentioned above didn't work for me.

Kind regards

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Hi! I have been following this thread and have tried absoloutly EVERYTHING and yet to no avail =(.
    I have a Logitech QuickCam Messenger(the new one that is compatible for Vista) and randomly sometime last week it just stopped working. I've tried everything you said except for the deleting the INFCACHE.1 thing. I couldnt do this because it said I needed permission. But I was on an administrator account so I dont understand. However apparently for many people that didnt work anyway, so I'm not too worried.
    The solution that seemed to be a godsend for everyone else is still not working for me. Everytime I do this, it says that "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date." and it still says "unknown device". I tried the other option on the update driver software wizard,  And when I try the other option, the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", the only one that comes up under compatible software is "unknown device". When I look at all of the drivers, I found my driver for my webcam, installed it etc, and I get the "error 10, the device cannot start".
    I'm clueless.
    WickedMX's solution which was another godsend to everyone else didnt work for me, because the usbstor.inf and .pif files were already in the folder that was sepcified. I dont think this is a hardware issue, seeing that the webcam works just fine on my sisters laptop. And when I plug in my iPod or mp3 player, it works fine! It's recognized. And I plug it on the same port that the webcam isnt recognized on, but it gets recognized.
    I'm running out of options here, I really dont want to buy a new webcam, I just got this one not too long ago. I've tried deleting those updates you reccomended, and nothing. I'm running a
    Please, if anyone can help me I'd be VERY appriciative! I'm running a HP Compaq Prosario Desktop with 32 bit vista home premium.

I forgot to add, some other solutions I've tried that have worked for other people;
    Re-installing the software that came on the CD.
    "Restacking the USB drives"
    System Restore
    Uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling them
    Unplugging my computer from the wall for 5 minutes
    Plugging it in other ports
    Uninstalling updates
    Everything suggested on http://www.compatdb.org/support/topics/176233_usb_device_not_recognized_malfunction,5.html

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:20 PM
  • i hope i'm posting in the right place...

i've purchased a microsoft basic optical mouse v2.0 which stated it was Vista compatible on the box. however, after plugging in the device it was not recognized. i unplugged, went to microsoft website to download microsoft intellipoint, installed that and selected the correct type of mouse, restarted, plugged in the device and it STILL says it does not recognize it. i've tried to update the driver manually and selected the correct destination/folder for it to grab the driver from yet it still can't seem to find it and says it's using the most current driver. this is driving me insane. it's a bloody mouse.

please help!

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Alexander
    It seems like this is not an uncommon probelm.
    Running Ultimate I have all of a sudden experienced USB problems. It can recognize a bunch of flash drives but none of the most recent one I have bought. Like my 4GB drive that is Ready Boost. It did once and all of a sudden it can't. And if you go to let it search C:\Windows it says it found the driver but experienced an error installing it. And two of my external drives give me an error that it can't find the IDE to USB drivers.

I'm so mad I might be forced to just do a re-install. But it sounds like so many people are having the same problems that that might not work.  I'm PO'd at Microsoft. And if they keep this kind of activity up they may lose a lot of customers to MAC and Lynix. I'm even pondering.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I would advise against a re-install.  That's where my problems started.  I have been using a 7 port USB hub for about a year with no problem.  An unrelated issue forced a reload of Ultimate and that is when I started getting the unrecognized device error.  I've gotten all recent updates and trolled all the threads I can find but no luck.  I can remove USB devices from  the device manager and the hub will magically work but within 1 or 2 user logoff/logons it is back to an unknown device in device manager.  All the fixes in this "Very" old thread only work temporarily.  Microsoft should be ashamed.  Interestingly the hub works best when it doesn't show up in device manager.  When I update the "unknown device" to "generic USB hub" I always get an error but when the device decides to work this is the device that gets listed.  I would like to know if all the people who posted that they had successful fixes continued to enjoy success or did it just last for several reboots then went back to ***-land.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:32 AM
  • I have a LG USB Drive 2GB and have been using it without any problems for a number of months. I recently purchased an ASUS F5 Laptop and am trying to use my pen drive, but each time I plug it into the USB port a message bubble states: "HARDWARE ID IS MISSING Windows can not identify the device connected to USB mass storage device" I have formatted the USB drive, but this has made no difference. After searching the internet I found that others had the same problem. Is there a software issue or updated driver I can download to solve this compatibility issue?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Wondering if there has been any solid solution to this problem.

I am currently running Windows Vista 32-bit and although all of my USB ports worked in the past, up until recently they all just stopped working. This occured while I was using the mouse and it started acting sketchy and not responding and then finally becoming totally useless.

I tried plugging in other USB devices, but it appears that in every port I receive a "USB Device Not Recognized" message. I've tried numerous solutions in this thread - and elsewhere - to no avail.

Hopefully someone knows something? Sad
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I had the same problem that everyone else is having here. Pointing every USB installation to C:\Windows\winsxs

did the trick, but it was a hassle each and every time I plugged something in. I gave in and reinstalled Ultimate x86 with x64, and it is perfect again now. As a bonus I can see all 4GB of my RAM.

This is a serious problem however that Microsoft needs to sort out.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Must have medium skill level to complete  and a ps2 mouse and keyboard

I have found a way to get my printer to work after many hours. its a strange method but it worked for me I assume you have a usb  mouse and keyboard  aready installed .you must first have on hand a ps2 mouse and keyboard or youll be screwed !!!!!!   please read that again to make sure you have a ps2 mouse and keyboard available!!!  ok  ( for those of you who dont know what a ps2 mouse  and keyboard is  its the ones with the round ends  on them   instead of the USB  square end ) just thought i better clarify

section 1

soloution: goto control panel/device manager / universal serial bus controllers/standard usb host controller/right click on update driver for controller/choose browse my computer /choose let me pick from a list of drivers/uncheck the show compatability  box /choose intel82371ab/ebpci to usb universal host controller from the list it will say unrecommended    choose it any way restart your computer 

section2

you will have no mouse  or  keyboard       plug your  ps2  mouse and keyboard into the round slots  on the back of your  pc. restart your  computer    windows will recognize your  ps2  mouse .  restart your computer again  and  go back to the universal serial bus controller you changed before in section 1    and  update driver   this time let windows  automatically  choose the driver   your  printer  will then be recognized remove the ps2 mouse and keyboard  and   enjoy your  printer!!!!!!   may work for other usb  devices   but  i  dont  know  for sure  best regards   Jon Hicks

Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:29 PM
  • hmm i pointed my updates to the c:\windows\winsxs although vista says I'm up to date. I still have the same problem with USB drivers

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Wow!

That worked for me as well!

My ipod shuffle (2nd gen) wasn't being recognized by iTunes, and Vista kept complaining that I didn't have the proper driver installed.

The windows\inf directory had NO usbstor drivers at all. So I copied the most recent version of usbstor.* from the driver repository into my \windows\inf and tried updating the driver, and boom! everything worked perfectly.

All I can say is THANK YOU, and I really don't know how people with no computer savvy could have fixed this issue on their own, even with the help of the forums.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:24 PM
  •  

Try upgrading your chipset driver.

That fixed this same problem i was having on my last machine(XP pro)

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:05 AM
  • My problem is very like these, but relates to USB devices that are "not recognised", but still work. When I came back to my computer after going out this evening I found the warning "USB Device not recognised" and a small window showing all the coupled USB devices as "unused port" despite the fact that all ports (12) are in use and working. So, there seems to be something wrong with Windows Error Reporting.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:20 PM
  • I have the same problem on new machine I bought in February.

I have the computer in a different room to my big TV, and use wireless keyboard and

mouse and Windows Media player handset.  The keyboard and mouse freeze after a

few minutes, but I noticed the Vista temperature and clock keep working.

Also, inserting a memory stick causes the computer to dump memory and crash.

Then, on saturday last - it crashed, and I spotted the 'bug-USB' message on screen.

I have now plugged in a powered multi-port USB hub.  Since then, no more problems.

As the USB hub has its own power supply, it does not drain the whatever !

Regards

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Hi, I recently purchased a "DataStickPro" (4GB) from TigerDirect.com and when I inserted it into my USB 2.0 port on my machine (HP Pavilion dv6772nr, running Vista Home Basic) I received the same error message that many have here...error (code 28)...with the root of the problem being the "Access is denied." ...This led me to realize (like many before me) that the security in vista is the problem...it is just TOO secure (in the wrong places) for its own good.  After trying all of this stuff over the last 3 weeks, it finally hit me SAFE MODE!  Its so obvious... Safe mode only boots the ABSOLUTELY necessary drivers and programs to run. translation for everyone: NO SECURITY!...meaning NO "Access is denied"!  So I uninstalled my device, booted in Safe Mode, installed my device (successfully), then rebooted and my device was fully recognized!

Here's The Steps I Took:

1.Uninstall the device driver via the Device Manager

2.Restart the computer, press "F8" repeatedly during early boot to get to the Advanced Boot Menu

3.Select "Safe Mode" (it was the first option at the top for me)

4.Wait until the computer has fully booted

5.Insert the device as you normally would to install it

6.It should fully install without the error (it did for me, hopefully it will for you too)

(Optional) 7.I reformatted the device to the NTFS system, (was FAT32) but I don't know if this affects it or not

8.Safely Remove Device and then actually unplug the device from the computer

9.Restart the machine

10.When it boots up all the way, you should be able to attach it and it'll be good to go!

I hope this will work for you...it did for me...respond to this and let me know!

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:08 AM
  • I have tried several of the above mention suggestions to fix when Vista does not recognising my USB external memory sticks without success.
    I have a ASUS F3S running Vista with SP1 loaded.
    My old USB memoery stick can be accessed although a message appears each time that it is not installed.
    2 new memory sticks Transcend (2M and 8M) cannot be installed (Jetflash) driver.
    Both work file on my XP PC and another HP laptop running Vista without SP1 .
    This as others have found is very frustrating.
    Come on Microsoft this appears like a Visat problem to me can we have a fix please.
    I also cannot connect to my Canon camera anymore either, but my external usb hard drive  and usb mouse do work.
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:19 AM
  • this is the second time for me, i don't know what fixed it last time, but its happened again and can't fix it this time.

it wont recognize any usb drives anymore. im thinking to go back to xp as they still work on it.

Sunday, June 01, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Still looking for the USB fix myself. 
    To get Windows Explorer to load on startup, open Windows Defender, Select Software Explorer, Startup programs. 
    Windows Explorer should be listed.  If not start use the pull down menu so that it does start on boot.  There are other
    ways to do it but that is the easiest.
    Monday, June 02, 2008 3:06 AM
  • My problem was solved by reloading Vista via the Restore patition on the H/D (F9) at boot up.
    I also updated the BIOS.
    After the reload all USB devise were recognized again.
    I then loaded SP1 and presto the USB device are still working.
    Was the BIOS update the answer?, I am not sure, but all is working properly again despite SP1.
    Regards,
    Des
    Monday, June 02, 2008 10:41 AM
  •  

I have just installed my WG11v2 USB wireless adapter on my new pc with windows vista. When i first installed it, it said connected to my wireless router but there was limited connectivity. i tested the limited cnnectivity with my 02 broadband assistant and it first reset the IP address then said that it was going to reset my wireless adapter. It then crashed (not responding) so i ended the process and now when i plug in my wireless adapter no light comes on and at the bottom of the screen it says 'USB Device Not Recognised'. I have tryed inserting it into different USB ports but the same problem applies.  underneath the 'USB Device Not Recognized' message in small imprint it says: 'One of the USB devices attatched to this cpmputer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

All it says it try reconnecting the device.

Any suggestions? thanks

Saturday, June 07, 2008 3:56 PM
  • You know....it's a shame that microsoft didn't do a better job on Vista.  I was an serious supporter of thier OS's....I don't know what it takes to make vista run properly.  I've given up.  I bought an OEM of XP Pro and purchased 2 macs.  I don't think I am going back to microsoft.  They've lost a true believer.  I can't tell you how many debates I have had iover the years in support of winodows....for them to put out such a crappy OS is dis-Heartening.  Tjhey've got to understand that not everybody using thier products are just simple consumers looking to "just" Browse the internet.

Theyve lost me for a couple of reason's...I am a Web Designer and I just bout Adobe's entire creative suite for the Mac and it cost me a lot of money.... I would have bought it for windows but seeing that Microsoft is resistant to making any real fixes to this P/OS. they've put on the market I am not going back.

XP Pro still Rules though...so sad that Vista is such garbage
    Monday, June 09, 2008 12:31 AM
  •  

Hi Aaron-

The "USB Device Not Recognized" error is typically due to a hardware problem, such as a bad USB hub, bad device, or a lack of power to the USB bus. In the past I've fixed these problems by plugging a device directly into the PC (instead of a hub) or by plugging it into a powered hub (one with a separate AC connection). You could also try attaching your device to another PC (like one that's running a different OS, even) to see if the device itself may have stopped working.

-Euge

Monday, June 09, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I have a similar case like you.  I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Dell Dimension desktop.  I had issues with a number of USB devices that are connected with the desktop.  Managed to resolve most of them except Canon USB printer PIXMA MX310.  So i have called Canon Techo with an expectation that they would be able to solve, and the Techno (in Canon Support Centre) tried for about 90 minutes without any issue.  I must admin, the guy did try to help me with lot of troubleshooting.  Anyway, then the usual bug passing kicked it, and Canon guy said contact Microsoft and see if they have Vista update.  I've then contact Microsoft phone support this guy tried for about 80 minutes, without any result, and started to again bug pass saying this is something to do with USB cable etc etc.  During the troubleshooting, i have loaded Canon PIXMA printer driver for Visata 32 bit, and have tried a number of ways and still NO RUSULTS.  By now, i have had enough and think that for some reason, Canon PIXMA driver for Vista 32 does not work and will not intall USB printer like PIXMA MX310.

Anyway, what i have noticed that the root of the problem is that, normally when you plug in your USB printer, Windows will detect and will create USB port automically.  However, in my case the computer seems to not recognise the USB printer and hence there is no USB port created, and it prompt to 'Manual port selection' to LPT1.  I believe that if we all scream louder and keep hitting the post with bad press, then CANON will listen to and release a Vista Driver that works for PIXMA MX310.  In the mean time, if anybody out there have any suggestion, i would me pleased to give it a go!!

Cheers,

dasco

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:11 AM
  •  

my usb problem still not solved, i followed the procedure u gave but the usb device still not recongized.
    well thanks for your help.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Well I had the same problems as the others in dealing with my USB device not being recognized, in my case it was a Fantom GForce 500GB MegaDisk.  I tried everything that was mentioned in the previous postings but nothing worked.  I thought it was really strange because on my initial installation attempt everything seemed to go well but it was interrupted and I had to reinstall it and that is when I ran into problems.  After couple of days of fumbling around with this I finally got it to be recognized 

My solution:

Boot the computer then plug in the disk drive or other device

You will get the standard Windows is searching for a driver for your device, and it gives you an option to designate a location for it to look.

Take that option and direct it to C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS if your windows is on a different drive letter then use that letter 

It will say that it found a driver but it will give you a red flag about it not being a digitally ceritified driver - install it anyway and it should be acknowledged.

If your device is still not recognized then go to Device Manager in the Control Panel,  click:  Start Menu -  Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager and look for your device, if the driver was acknowledged then you should see it under whatever category your device falls under - in my case, disk drives.

Once you see it and are sure that it is your device collapse that section by pressing the minus sign in front of the heading then go to "other devices" heading and expand it you will probably see one or more "unknown device" listings with the caution icons before them - highlight it then choose update driver software, again it will offer you a choice between an automatic search and you manually browsing for the driver - choose the manual option and direct it to C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS and do it for each "unknown device" listing that you see under "other devices".

Whem you finish you may have to restart you computer.

I can not say this will help everyone but I noticed on my machine that all the USB connected devices had to undergo two driver installations - one for the device - another for the USB connection to that device, in most cases it happened automatically with out any problems - either the device did not need a driver or it automatically installed itself, why it was so different now I do not know, but I think that at least with some of the problems that I saw while I was searching for my solution that this was the case, BTW I also sloved a problem I had with my sound card installation in the process.

Be sure that the device in question is listed in the Device Manager before you go to the "other devices" section, otherwise the USB connection to it will not be one of the "unknown device" listings underneath and you will have to start all over.

I hope this helps.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Hello all.

This forum topic was quite helpful not only in fixing three USB device issues I had with Vista ths week, but also with getting some of those same devices working with firewire. The same fix worked with both.

I was having a very perplexing time with my Vista the past few days. Both with Firewire and USB for my Maxtor external hard drives (both the drives and both types of connections stopped working) and also with trying to get a generic USB hub to work with my Vista.

My specific thanks to the person/s who mentioned pointing Windows to WINDOWS/WINSXS when looking for the driver. That did it for me when everything else (regedit, etc) failed.

OK. First my stats:

DELL Inspiron 1520

Came with Vista home. I upgraded immediately to Vista Ultimate. This was about a year ago.

The hard drives with USB worked fine until recently. Never really used the firewire with it until I tried the other day. The firewire did/does work with my XP PC.

OK, here is your fix in a nutshell. First, the firewire.

Go to DEVICE MANAGER. First, update the driver for the IEE 1394 Bus Host Controller. Right Click, UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE. When prompted, choose BROWSE MY COMPUTER  and tell Vista where to look for the driver. Point it to: WINDOWS\WINSXS (make sure INCLUDE SUBOLDERS is checked).

It will find the driver, but will say something about not being the right one. Install it anyway.

Then, I plugged my hard drive in. It appeared under UNKNOWN DEVICE. I repeated the same steps above, and BAM, it showed up in my list of SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices. I repeated the step for my second Maxtor Drive (even daisy chained it to the first one) and it was recognized in the same fashion.

Now for the USB.

I saw each of the external hard drives listed as UNKNOWN DEVICE. Same for the USB Hub. If you don't initially see it listed, unplug the device. Wait for Device manager to refresh. Then plug back in and look for the new device that appears when it refreshs yet again (in case it appears elsewhere).

Repeat the above steps as far as updating the drivers.

The result should be the same as the firewire, but with the devices appearing in their appropriate categories.

Hope that helps!

And if anyone is a metal or heavy rock fan, please check out my existing and upcoming CDs at:

www.myspace.com/overlorde

www.myspace.com/meflyingv

Thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Thank you for your post, as it helped very much to get some devices not found working!

I pluged a lexmar jumpdrive and a lexmar rw032 (aks rw-032) into my 32bit vista system and it would work. Then I tried it on another identical system on our network. The devices worked so I copied all the files (not folders) from that system's

C:\Windows\inf to my systems C:\Windows\inf. The first time it found a duplicate file, I click on skip and also checked on the check box do this skip for the rest of the duplicates. Result was it copies all the *.inf and *.pnf files to my system and now the devices work! (thank you again). I also found a newdev.exe in the task manager running (icon in the system task area looks like a box with a green arrow). Ending this process stopped it repeating finding new devices. At the end of the copy (non-duplicates), it wanted to reboot however the devices now shows as lettered drives in the windows explorer (aka file manager). Thank you 3x :-)))
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:16 AM
  •  MEFlyingV wrote:

Hello all.

This forum topic was quite helpful not only in fixing three USB device issues I had with Vista ths week, but also with getting some of those same devices working with firewire. The same fix worked with both.

I was having a very perplexing time with my Vista the past few days. Both with Firewire and USB for my Maxtor external hard drives (both the drives and both types of connections stopped working) and also with trying to get a generic USB hub to work with my Vista.

My specific thanks to the person/s who mentioned pointing Windows to WINDOWS/WINSXS when looking for the driver. That did it for me when everything else (regedit, etc) failed.

OK. First my stats:

DELL Inspiron 1520

Came with Vista home. I upgraded immediately to Vista Ultimate. This was about a year ago.

The hard drives with USB worked fine until recently. Never really used the firewire with it until I tried the other day. The firewire did/does work with my XP PC.

OK, here is your fix in a nutshell. First, the firewire.

Go to DEVICE MANAGER. First, update the driver for the IEE 1394 Bus Host Controller. Right Click, UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE. When prompted, choose BROWSE MY COMPUTER  and tell Vista where to look for the driver. Point it to: WINDOWS\WINSXS (make sure INCLUDE SUBOLDERS is checked).

It will find the driver, but will say something about not being the right one. Install it anyway.

Then, I plugged my hard drive in. It appeared under UNKNOWN DEVICE. I repeated the same steps above, and BAM, it showed up in my list of SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices. I repeated the step for my second Maxtor Drive (even daisy chained it to the first one) and it was recognized in the same fashion.

Now for the USB.

I saw each of the external hard drives listed as UNKNOWN DEVICE. Same for the USB Hub. If you don't initially see it listed, unplug the device. Wait for Device manager to refresh. Then plug back in and look for the new device that appears when it refreshs yet again (in case it appears elsewhere).

Repeat the above steps as far as updating the drivers.

The result should be the same as the firewire, but with the devices appearing in their appropriate categories.

Hope that helps!

And if anyone is a metal or heavy rock fan, please check out my existing and upcoming CDs at:

www.myspace.com/overlorde

www.myspace.com/meflyingv

Thanks!

Mark

Many thanks Mark, your guidence worked a treat! My USB SD Reader is now recognised as what its meant to be! Microsoft should donate £50K to you, because their telephone support guys couldn't help me!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 5:43 PM
  • This c:\windows\winsxs trick worked for me ( Logitech MX Revolution, 64-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 )

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:47 PM
  •  

I tried the winsxs trick too but it's still not working. I think I'm doing it wrong that's why. I update the controllers and point it to Windows/winsxs then I plugged my non-working external drive and then it plugs as "Unknown Device". Do I update and point it to winsxs as well? I've been having this problem as well and it's pissing me off because I've been at the repair shop three times in one month in June. Please help!

Here are my STATS:

Toshiba A135-S2386 Satellite

Vista Basic (I HATE IT!)

2GB Ram

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:35 PM
  • I to had the same issue updated 64 updates and know no usb hardware works accept kb and mouse

Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:26 PM
  • I too have had the same issues as below: old usb devices are working fine, but new ones would not install under Vista. Vista would suggest the update mentioned below but when trying it, I'd get the message that it does not apply to my machine. I've tried copying the pnf and inf files, tried moving the usbstore, tried deleting the INFcache.1, all to no avail. I am currently attempting to install a Brother DCP-7020 monochrome multi-function laser printer under Vista via its USB connection (it also has a parallel port but using that connection, its scanning functions will not work according to Brother's web site so have to USB to get the scanning ability). I thought of upgrading to Vista SP1 to see if that would fix things but it's not offered to me under Windows Update and I know I could install it manually (via the stand-alone download from Microsoft's site), but am afraid it may mess up something with my system since Windows Update doesn't offer it to me. When installing the latest drivers downloaded directly from Brother's site, after I plug the printer in and turn it according to the installation's instructions, Vista see it's a DCP-7020,tells me me that it's ready to use, that the USB composite device is ready to use and that an unknown device failed to install. I even tried the navigating to C:\Windows\winsx at the appropriate prompt and still nothing. I've even tried some things with System Restore but System Restore is no longer successful at any restores for me for some reason, although it doesn't do me any harm either (it leaves things the way they were before the System Restore attempt). I have tried the kb941600  download at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600/ which somehow managed to get the printer side of the dcp-7020 to work but no scanner. In frustration, I uninstalled that package. The only thing I have not tried is step 2 below, but at the low success rate I am having, I am uncertain if will help me too as I'm not sure what it will do as through normal installation, it tells me it doesn't apply to my system. I have also thought of re-installing Vista, but that would be a last resort option as re-installing any OS is no fun (back up stuff, re-install OS, re-install drivers, re-install programs, etc.) In case needed, my system's specs are:

Dell Dimension 9200
    2.4Ghz Quad core
    4GB RAM
    32-bit Vista Home Premium
    Logitech Quickcam Messenger (usb device) -- installed, but not hooked up - works fine when connected
    Seagate FreeAgent Drive 500GB (usb device) -- hooked up and working fine
    Brother MFC-665CW (usb device) -- hooked up and works fine
    Epson Perfection 1250 (usb device) -- installed, but not hooked up - works fine when connected
    Logitech Meida Keyboard (usb device) -- hooked up and works fine
    Logitech LX7 mouse (usb device) -- hooked up and works fine
    Sansa E270 mp3 player (usb device) -- hooked up and works fine
    LG Lightscribe drive (usb device) -- hooked up and works fine
    2 Kingston Data Traveller usb drive -- installed, but not hooked up - both work fine when connected
    IOGear 6 port USB hub with card reader -- hooked up and works fine
    DCP-7020 -- trying to install, but so far no go, due to the reasons stated above.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Chris

BobShaft wrote:

Finally! Only 11 Pages of Reading!! This is obviously a driver problem. Microsoft! Give us a NEW DRIVER!!

#3 Was My Solution Also.

Thanks for the Suggestions...

Sggd2 wrote:

Hope this helps

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:00 PM
  • iTouch does not work in my XP machine.  iPod worked fine.  I'm stumped too.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Thank you so much! My failing devices were my mouse and keyboard and one false move on boot up and they got disabled. You can imagine how much swearing I have done! You have restored my sanity. Fi

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Can you put down step by step of what you did, I'm having the same problems and I have no idea on where everything is in vista. I got my laptop yesterday and vista's already pissing me off...
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Can you explain how to do this in more detail???

Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:42 AM
  • Hey everyone like most of you i'm having problems with a usb devise in vista. a few weeks ago i purchased a creative zen (16gb) when i 1st plugged it into my computer it fuctioned normally i was able to sync it fully with my computer and also access the sd card which was plugged into it however it has now for no apparent reason stopped being able to link with my computer at all and i receive error message usb devise not recognised can anyone tell me how to fix this problem if so contact me via email davonmason@hotmail.com any help would be greatly appreciated as i have tried everything i know including uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and accompanying software and have now hit a wall ty for your time Davon

Friday, September 05, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Hello WickedMX ..

I have similar problem of vista home premium not recognizing usb external seagate hard drive....either in explorer or disk management or disk manager..

However there is no problem of running the usb optical mouse..

When I checked as suggested by you, I found 3 folders named usbstor.inf with different sets of numbers attached... but each folder contained 3 files named component.man, usbstor.inf and usbstor.sys but no usbstor.pnf file !!!

However, C:\Windows\inf folder already had newer updated version of usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files ...

Can any one please help?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:26 PM

• This Solution worked for me.

After Updating the driver for my new device from the internet (in the device manager), I still can't see my new drive.

First I downloaded a driver from the following site: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14794/eng/iata70_enu.exe&agr=N&ProductID=1809&DwnldId=14794&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows&lang=eng

After Installation I restarted my PC with the new drive attached.

Then I went to the control panel and typed 'format' in the search box.
    Result: Administrative Tools , Create and Format Harddisk Partitions.  CLICK THE LINK.

*** Management will pop-up.
    Right click on the new drive (unallocated) and then select 'create simple/single volume'
    (remember to assign a letter to the new drive, or else u wont see it)

The rest is history...

I hope it works for others.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Problem:  Cannot use new USB devices on 32-bit Vista; Vista tries to install driver but cannot find it.  Previously used USB devices are still able to be used, but not new ones.  Problem occurs with Vista-compatible thumbdrives, Microsoft Optical Mouse, etc..  Attempts to navigate directly to /Windows/... for drivers may or may not work, or works temporarily.  (I don't know how closely this is related to the similar problems people are experiencing with IPODs).  A Microsoft hotfix (940199) often gives the error "Does not apply to your system."   

My Resolution:  This appears to be a driver installation bug in Vista involving corruption of the installer cache, by another driver install or possibly even by a Microsoft update.  There are various workarounds for this which seem to work for different people.  One that seems to often work is attaching the device and rebooting with the device attached, avoiding the broken plug and play mechanism.  You may still have to manually install the driver from Device Manager if the device type isn't recognized.  The resolution that worked for me was to install Vista Service Pack 1 from Windows Update (936330).  After rebooting for the service pack install, I plugged in one of the problematic devices and it successfully installed the driver, but the driver did not show up as a known device letter.  I went into Device Manager and manually updated the driver from /Windows/... Not only did that device become available, but other problematic devices began working in plug n play mode as well (without having to repeat the manual driver reinstall). 

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:06 PM
  • your workaround works fine. thanks dude Smile
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Omar's solution of deleting or renaming infcache.1 in C:\Windows\inf worked for me. Vista would recognize devices that were installed previously but was unable to recognize new devices. Cheers.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I have this same laptop with the same problem, did you ever find a solution?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Well, add another USB mystery to the VISTA saga. I recently upgraded one my P4 systems with XP Home SP3 to VISTA Home Premium. To make a long story short, the ULTRA ULT33067 4-port self-powered USB hub in the system, which had worked just fine as a self-powered hub under XP, is now recognized by VISTA as only a bus-powered hub.

The Device Manager in VISTA says this hub is bus-powered and provides only 100mA per port, rather than the correct self-powered 500mA per port hub which used to show up in the XP Device Manager. Since installing VISTA, nothing I connect to any of the ports will work as VISTA says there is not enough power available on those ports. This hub is installed in a 3.5" drive bay and is powered by a drive connector directly from the power supply.

I have tried everything - uninstalling in Device Manager and letting VISTA reinstall the device, installing SP1, deleting infcache, and every other fix suggested in these forums. VISTA still won't detect this device as what it really is - a SELF-POWERED USB HUB!

I really don't have any patience with Microsoft anymore. How they can take a critical function that's been working fine in the last three generations of Windows and manage to break it in VISTA is beyond me! From what I've seen of VISTA (I've had a laptop for about six months, which came with VISTA installed, so I've had some experience with it) it's not worth the major aggravation and expense of upgrading XP to VISTA just to get windows with translucent edges (The AERO EXPERIENCE)! I'll give it another week and if I haven't found a solution to my USB problem by then, I'll go back to XP and never look back (forward?). 

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I have spent the whole day trying every single solution proposed on this thread. To no avail.
    I run Vista on a Dell Inspiron computer and my usb ports all work well EXCEPT with my newly acquired iPaq 212.
    It actually detects it as a USB mass storage device but not as a mobile device and hence synchronisation does not happen.
    If I do a soft reset while it is plugged in, I get the "Device not recognized" message and the update of USB drivers, deleting of cache... nothing work.

I am very upset as I can not use my new pocket PC.

Anyone with additional ideas. I would have thought that in over 18 months this issue should have been sorted once and for all.
    It says a lot about microsoft and how unreliable they are.

Any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by LNDT Saturday, January 03, 2009 3:19 AM
    Friday, January 02, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi again,

Well I have solved my problem, although the answer was not in Windows Vista.
    I guess this might work for all of you whose problem is linked to a windows mobile device.
    By going into start menu-->settings--> connections tab-->USB to PC then UNTICK the "enable advanced network functionality"
    suddenly windows recognises the device and Bob's your uncle.

After spending the day on the net trying to figoure out my problem, it was solved in 30 seconds by talking to my best friend!

Let me know if it helps any of you.

Cheers
    • Proposed as answer by CJBid Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:34 PM
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I followed MEFlyingV's advice and keep getting a message saying:"Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" and I'm still unable to have the computer recognize my new printer via usb.   Anyone else have this problem too?  Any help please??? 

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 6:10 AM
  • I had been using LIBUSB - win32 library for some other applications, the second I uninstalled it, Canon IXUS 60 camera burst into life again.

Hope this helps somebody else

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi, I was in another Forum on a different site and I was directed to this thread, I have the same problem that it appears everyone here has with their USB ports and have had it for over a year, thought I was out of luck and think I still am, my camera and web cam work but I can't get my Flash drive or MP3 players to work, but they will work on our laptop that also has Vista.
    Anyway I am not totally computer savvy and wasn't sure what you meant by click on manual specify location.  When I plug the flash drive in, it says device malfunctioned, usb not recognized, so I click on it for the details, I figured out how to get into an area where I can update the driver myself (this is what I was assuming you meant) I pointed it to c:\windows\system32 and when it was done searching it said that the best drivers for the device are already installed.  How can it know that but it still doesn't recognize it?  I am one confused person.  Do you have any other ideas?
    Thank you so much for any help you have, even if it is to tell I am out of luck and to stop trying. :o)
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I have entered another post where I tried pointing it to c:\windows\system32 and then when that didn't work, I tried pointing to C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS, neither one worked or I am doing it wrong.  I tried updating the drivers and it says the best software is already installed for the drivers yet when you first look at the driver info it says no drivers are installed and it won't give me any details.  Please, is there any hope?
    I have Vista and can only get my digital camera and webcam to work.  My printer used to work in the beginning and then stopped and now we have it set up wirelessly so we can't scan anything and my daughters flash drive and MP3 player won't work.
    Thanx for any help.
    • Proposed as answer by 7CLOWN7 Friday, May 08, 2009 6:51 AM
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Well I know this is all over the net about fixing this but I've come to realize what is causing it.  It is a Disk Drive under Device Manager called ASAP USB Device. 

I've found that without even rebooting, changing anything, or even shutting down.  For some people shutting down and leaving off may not be an option.

Try this.  Go to \Windows\inf folder and search or highlight something and type disk.inf - once you find this file right click on it and pick install, it should load up your missing or unknown device. 

Hope this helps and it will keep you from rebooting or changing anything.  This is used when everything works fine for months then upon a reboot out of nowhere you get the error, it may also fix issues for those that have other issues with USB devices not being recognized.

I've also noticed this ONLY happens after installing my Nvidia Video drivers for my 8800 GTX then upon reboot of installation of drivers I receive this constant error until I do the above mentioned, at least on my system. Hope this helps some of you if not all... 
    • Edited by 7CLOWN7 Friday, May 08, 2009 6:57 AM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:53 AM
  • THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM IS TO CUT ALL POWER GOING TO YOUR COMPUTER

for example:        desktops unplug power cord             laptops take out battery

• Proposed as answer by Dopeness Friday, December 25, 2009 2:41 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 2:40 AM
  • WickedMX,

I had the same issue on my ThinkPad (missing "usbstor.inf") running Vista SP 2. The resolution you propose works for me.

Before fixing the USB Mass Storage driver setup, new USB memory devices were not recognized, but the "old" ones kept working fine...

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Ok, here's my issue. I've been reading over this thread and I'm hoping it's still active enough to warrant some help for me.

I have a Dell Inspiron PC Laptop with Windows Vista. I've had it since 2007 and have had no real issues with it so far.

I also have my Attache PNY 8gb USB drive that I've been using for a few months now on my desktop PC. Since I've had to go to college I took my USB and my laptop with me. I had no issues the last few days and then suddenly the computer said it had malfunctioned! I unplugged and replugged the thing back in until Windows "recognized" it, but when it did, it reverted everything back to default settings! The device had been totally wiped! It wasn't even named "UNICORN" anymore, which is what I renamed it when I originally got it.

I'm at a loss here. All of my important artwork and other files were on there. I had some of it backed up, but before I go too far I want to know if there's a way for me recover any of this! Please help me...

• Proposed as answer by nikeboixj5 Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

I want to untick Enable advanced network functionality but I can't seem to find start menuto follow the path you mentioned above can you please provide some guidance?

Many thanks,

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:14 PM
  • The issue is with the registry... When I first encountered this issue last week I searched all over the internet for a solution and no one had a permanent fix.  Being the troubleshooter that I am I decided to take deep look into the problem and you'll be surprised at what I found.

I first tried the power down and remove/reconnect all USB devices and sure enough they came back working but over night I ended up having the same issue the next morning.

I tried repairing the registry but all of a sudden I had no access to make changes to it and I remember I never had an issue before so why now???

So this is what I did:

1.) You must first enable the administrator account in order for you to be able to do this by doing the following --> Open the command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator” and type the following command and finish by pressing enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice. (Note that this also works on Windows 7.)

2.) Now log in as the administrator and remove the USB related items/drivers from "Computer Management".

3.) Go to "Control Panel" and double click "Power Options", then click on (depending on what you have it set to - mine is set to high performance) "Change plan settings", then "Change advance power settings" and scroll down "USB settings" and expand it, also expand "USB selective suspend setting" and set them to "Disabled", click "Apply" and then "OK" to close the popup window.

4.) Go to the "Windows" folder and locate the "regedit.exe" file, right click it and select properties. Go to the "Security" tab and take full ownership of it.  Apply or save changes you just made and close all windows.

5.) Now hold the button down a few seconds until the unit powers off.  Once off wait a few seconds and turn it back on. Log back in to windows and you should see or notice the USB drivers installing or loading.

6.) Once it has finished, test your ports, they should work with no problems.

7.) If they are okay, make a backup of your registry just in case you ever run across this problem again.

8.) Also make sure to run a deep virus scan to make sure you do not have a java scripts viruses running in the background.  I use "Microsoft Security Essentials" because who else knows their system better than anyone else??? That's right, Mr. Bill Gates himself and I trust his product to the max and besides, it is completely "FREE"!!!

Enjoy and I hope this helps... any questions feel free to respond.  Have a nice day, OTAY!!!

Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:08 AM