xoml or xaml?

Question

• As I understand it Beta 1 uses ".xoml" for historical reasons, and Beta 2 will use ".xaml". But in Beta 2 currently all the wizards and samples etc creates .xoml.

Does this matter at all? Should we save our worfklows as .xaml or .xoml?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:29 PM

Answers

• Workflow programs (or models) are saved in the XAML format which is common to Avalon for serializing .NET types as XML. Avalon XAML is all about UI and Workflow XAML is all about business process so there's quite a semantic difference. The XOML file extension looks to remain for Workflow models though the file format is XAML.

Regards,
    Paul

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:01 PM

All replies

• as far as i know workflows (with code separation) are .xoml and user interfaces are .xaml
    (eXtensible Application Markup Language)

regards,
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:52 PM
  • Workflow programs (or models) are saved in the XAML format which is common to Avalon for serializing .NET types as XML. Avalon XAML is all about UI and Workflow XAML is all about business process so there's quite a semantic difference. The XOML file extension looks to remain for Workflow models though the file format is XAML.

Regards,
    Paul

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Paul. So the files, by conventions should be saved as .xoml, but they can be referred to as "Workflow in XAML format". Is that correct?
    Friday, January 27, 2006 2:03 PM
  • Yes. We also refer to the XAML format as Workflow Markup.

Cheers,
    Paul

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:45 PM
  • Thank u all very much.

Can u explain me also (huh, I feel me stupid asking this but anyway), if XOML is in XAML,  and XAML in XML format why there was such a need as to invent new extensions? Where it is essentially being used?

Friday, February 24, 2006 12:37 AM
  • well, as I understood, upon installation of WinFX SDK, .xaml and .xoml files are now executables, will be compiled and run on double-clicking
    Saturday, February 25, 2006 12:18 AM
  •  

In case of Windows Workflow Foundation,

when should I use .XOML (With doe seperation ) and with code files to create workflow?

Please reply.

thanks,

Vinod Sa.

Monday, April 23, 2007 6:40 AM