Go back to Windows 7

Question

• Hello,

I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview. There were no warnings during install that it would replace my current operating system completely so well done there.
    I would have made much more sense to install as a separate Operating System, but no, let's keep the tradition going of doing this improperly.

How can I go back to my previous install of Windows 7 please?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:01 PM

Answers

• First, try this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168 - you'll have to think about how it will apply to your situation, since it addresses Windows Vista and the windows.old foldering.

Then, don't ever install a developer preview, alpha, pre-beta, beta, or any other piece of non-released (purchased) software on your system, ever, until you know what you're doing.  You chose to install a developer preview with no knowledge of what that means, and it's no one's fault except your own. 

BUILD is a developer conference and both the hardware and software released was understood to be pre-beta.  It's stated in the keynote and in various places throughout the download process.

I really do hope you get your Windows 7 install back, and that you stay on it until you can buy a new machine with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:09 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:01:01 +0000, Francisc 4077 wrote:

I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview. There were no warnings during install?that it would replace my current operating system completely so well done there.
    I would have made much more sense to install as a separate Operating System, but no, let's keep the tradition going of doing this improperly.

You missed the notice on the download page that there's no uninstall of the
    developer preview, and yes, the notice is most definitely on that page.

Restore from backup or reinstall.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Software:  Typically silk nighties, nylons, garter belts.  Contrast with
    hardware.

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:15 PM
  • The notice is at the bottom of the page above a large table with 10px font. How does that help? That's not  notice, it's a footnote.

Put the large download buttons above that - good thinking. Why doesn't the installer say this before pressing the final button or earlier? This is something critical it makes all the sense in the world to do this.

Did you write the info on the page? SURE. Did you take any time to study user behavior? NO.
    That's pretty low. And a very bad experience with Windows 8 from the start.

It doesn't even make sense to have it replace the system entirely...

OK, I will wait to get home with my laptop so I can install Windows 7 from the disk - great, thank you.
    How can I do so that I restore my Win7 user account, my programs and so on, please?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Francisco: This is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW. I can't believe you just installed it over Windows 7 and without backup.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Exactly. I want to test development on the same machine as I work on. Why buy another one to test Windows.

But still, this is not my fault. The release of this should have been well thought out. It was not.

It makes absolutely no sense to install OVER the operating system currently running EXACTLY because it's a DEVELOPER PREVIEW.

Again, I cannot change the way Microsoft deals with this. And if they fall it will be only their fault. I don't care anymore.

What I want now, is to be able to get my old system running. I have all the files in the Windows.old folder - luckily it saved them there.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39 PM
  • The notice is at the bottom of the page above a large table with 10px font. How does that help? That's not  notice, it's a footnote.

Put the large download buttons above that - good thinking. Why doesn't the installer say this before pressing the final button or earlier? This is something critical it makes all the sense in the world to do this.

Did you write the info on the page? SURE. Did you take any time to study user behavior? NO.

OK, I will wait to get home with my laptop so I can install Windows 7 from the disk - great, thank you.
    How can I do so that I restore my Win7 user account, my programs and so on, please?

I think you are confusing this with BETA software. A developer preview assumes you KNOW to create a partition for a dual boot on an existing setup or better yet, on a different machine. One that is not your production machine!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:24:05 +0000, Francisc 4077 wrote:

The notice is at the bottom of the page above a large table with 10px font. How does that help? Put the large download buttons?above that - good thinking. Why doesn't the installer say this before pressing the final button or earlier? This is something critical it makes all the sense in the world to do this.

You're not installing an application, you're installing an operating system
    and not even a beta at that, but an early preview version. Frankly, I don't
    see why you'd expect to be able to uninstall and operating system in the
    first place.

I didn't do anything. For your information MVPs are volunteers, and we most
    definitely don't work for Microsoft.

Of course it does, it is a brand new operating system, not an application.

Again, if you don't have a backup of your Windows 7 install then you're
    going to have to start over again from scratch.

Paul Adare
    Old mail has arrived.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Having Windows 8 DP installed without a proper fallback to Windows 7 is your own mistake. It's not fair to accuse Microsoft of not giving you fair warning, because they did.

On another note. If, and only if, you like the preview, then what's the issue with a full overwrite? I've been using it for a while now with little-to-no bugs or errors. The preview is stable enough for home use, and any program from Windows 7 you install can be put into Windows 7 compatibility mode and usually works without a hitch. 

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:41 PM
  • What did you expect?  All the noobs out there are freaking out about this preview.  (OK call it what it is,  its somewhere between alpha and beta status.)  And downloading it and expecting OMG perfect.

*sighs*  Deveoper previews are for technically sophisticated folks. Francisc 4077 obviously isn't.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I am not expecting you to concede this is an awful piece of UX from Microsoft. I know it is.

BETA, DP, neither should be replacing a stable operating system with an unstable one. And if it must - although there is absolutely no reason - at least flash the screen red 10 times before saying yes.

I completely dislike Apple, but those idiots were at least capable of saying what happens when you install the Developer Preview of their latest OS. All was clear.

Again, it's proof to me that Microsoft still doesn't understand what user-centric means. Regardless if the user is a world class programmer, sys admin or just a regular Joe with no PC skills. Relevant info should always be put clearly on screen. Critical info even more so.

But again, I don't care. Let them do as they please. Their product, their money, their reputation, their all.

What I need help with is knowing if it is possible to reinstall Windows 7 (and I know that's possible) but get the applications installed back on the system as they were without installing each by hand again.

All documents and program files are in a "Windows.old" folder. Is it possible to get data back into a new install from there somehow?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Kellic, you obviously don't need too many reasoning before saying and probably doing things.

Thank you for your "oppinion", it's not necessary or constructive.

I will only say that what I expected was to have an imperfect system to test application building on WITHOT LOSING THE STABLE ONE.
    This is exactly like having a huge pink elephant in the room that nobody admits seeing.

Also, your definition of "perfect" isn't very accurate.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:51 PM
  • How?  I'm in the same boat as this guy but only because I'm the idiot.  I love the W8 preview, but my issue with it is that none of my applications from W7 even work.  I try to run in Windows 7 compatibility and nothing works.  I'm running them from the Win.old folder on my harddrive.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Just for the record, when I downloaded and installed Win 8 Developer, I saw/read the warning.  Besides if you wanted to test "application building without losing the stable one" can you not do that with Virtual box on Win 7?  I did.

I find it really hard to blame Microsoft on this, they warned you and didn't TELL you, you had to do it.  Whose fault is it really when you fail to prepare for disaster.

Just my .02

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:00 PM
  • I wouldn't exactly call it warning. Even they call it "Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview". Does that sound like something important?...

If I want to give it a try now and them I'm supposed to backup each one and reinstall and restore each time? Pff.

But again, I only want to know if it is possible to install Win7 and get Windows.old files back in it.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:03 PM
  • First, try this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168 - you'll have to think about how it will apply to your situation, since it addresses Windows Vista and the windows.old foldering.

Then, don't ever install a developer preview, alpha, pre-beta, beta, or any other piece of non-released (purchased) software on your system, ever, until you know what you're doing.  You chose to install a developer preview with no knowledge of what that means, and it's no one's fault except your own. 

BUILD is a developer conference and both the hardware and software released was understood to be pre-beta.  It's stated in the keynote and in various places throughout the download process.

I really do hope you get your Windows 7 install back, and that you stay on it until you can buy a new machine with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Exactly. I want to test development on the same machine as I work on. Why buy another one to test Windows.

But still, this is not my fault. The release of this should have been well thought out. It was not.

It makes absolutely no sense to install OVER the operating system currently running EXACTLY because it's a DEVELOPER PREVIEW.

Again, I cannot change the way Microsoft deals with this. And if they fall it will be only their fault. I don't care anymore.

What I want now, is to be able to get my old system running. I have all the files in the Windows.old folder - luckily it saved them there.

Well lets see.  #1 only a fool installs an OS that for all intents and purposes is somewhere between an alpha and a beta without reading the documentation.  Are you sure you are a developer and not just someone who found a link to download on ZDNET or something and went OOOOO Shiny!!  #2  Only a fool risks his production machine on an OS that isn't even release candidate yet and is most likely a year out.  #3 Its called virtualization.  Testing without risk..  #4 A rollback method will most likely come later.  I'm willing to bet at this point MS's priorities are.....oh I don't know....STABILITY, over your wish to uninstall.  What part of "Preview"  don't you get? #5 see #1.

I may come off as pissy and that might be lack of caffeine this morning but EVERY blasted time MS releases an early preview, be it Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows 7 there is always ALWAYS someone without fail who complains that its MS's fault for their own inability to do something as simple, and fundamental, as RTFD.  So next time......Read the bleep'n Documentation!!!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I agree with Kellic.  Not trying to be a jerk, but when the program is released as a developer preview, or beta, or alpha or whatever download and install at your OWN risk.  I'm actually in the same boat as you, but I'm willing to concede it's my own fault for not being astute enough to do my research before installing.  As soon as I installed I went to these forums and the first thing I saw was information on creating a partition so that you can dual-boot.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Thank you.

I will know in the future to be careful because Microsoft doesn't care. Obviously it was me who installed it and created the problem, but it isn't my fault that this was not better signaled by Windows team.

And again, in an age when you can run even Mac OS and Windows on the same machine, why in the world would Microsoft create an installer for post-alpha Windows 8 that replaces a stable one and not allow you to choose which to boot?

When I moved from XP to Vista BETA I had dual booting and it makes perfect sense.

So just to be clear, while it was me who installed it, Microsoft did a lousy job of being clear about what it is that will happen and that's really what annoys me.

You will see that there will be many who make this mistake. Sadly.

Again, thank you for your answer.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • I don't agree with Kellic he's trying to be clever and it's not working out for him.

I know it was my mistake for installing and not reading the documentation, but I never would have crossed my mind that it could possibly replace a stable system. It's beyond (my) reasoning.

I have another partition, the installer didn't ask if I want to install on another partition, it just installed. No warning beside the one on the download page that I didn't see as it was under the download buttons. Ask a UX expert about this if you have one near you.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Any developer worth their salt knows not to install non-RTM versions of ANYTHING, but especially an OS, on their development machine unless it's in a VM. MS doesn't even need to state this, it's common knowledge if you've been a developer for any length of time.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:33 PM
  • So is slipping on wet floors, but signs still get put out.

That's hardly an excuse.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Also, I like how everyone is trying to belittle me by making "subtle" remarks of how good or bad I am as a developer, even though you have no idea who I am. Says a lot about how biased you are.

Go team.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I can understand your frustration, but being a developer preview, as well as a new OS, you should have taken precautions. For me, when I installed, it did give me options of where I wanted to install it. I didn't just click NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT and Done. I read what was being asked, and followed directions. Worked great for me.
    Dustin Harper dharper@mstechpages.com http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi Francis, (I hope I have that right)

I am sorry you had this trouble.  The pointer by InTheVault should work, although I haven't tried it myself.  Your feedback on making the precautions more obvious is appreciated.

Jon

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:22 PM
  • It's Francisc, but that's OK.

I'm about to give the solution proposed by InTheVault a try now.
    Thanks for the extra encouragement.

Also, note the high number of similar posts.

I'll comeback to let you know if I managed to fix it in the proposed fashion.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:19 PM
  • That worked.

What's funny is that the Windows 8 install said it was sorry that it could not install windows after booting back to Windows 7...
    You have a funny sense of humor.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Making an image backup before installing over the existing OS has been de rigour with every new version of Windows since God was a freshman.  If you don't have a free device or at least a hard drive to install on then you should wait to use Windows 8 until it is released anyway. 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:09 PM
  • I have to agree with Francisc. Of course its common sense to backup your system before installing a new OS, but although I did that, I found it odd, that MS didnt put up a big warning sign. They got over half a million downloads in a day now, I would love to know how many people freak out, when they think they lost everything.
    • Edited by Thomas.PSE Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Thank you.

I will know in the future to be careful because Microsoft doesn't care. Obviously it was me who installed it and created the problem, but it isn't my fault that this was not better signaled by Windows team.

And again, in an age when you can run even Mac OS and Windows on the same machine, why in the world would Microsoft create an installer for post-alpha Windows 8 that replaces a stable one and not allow you to choose which to boot?

When I moved from XP to Vista BETA I had dual booting and it makes perfect sense.

So just to be clear, while it was me who installed it, Microsoft did a lousy job of being clear about what it is that will happen and that's really what annoys me.

You will see that there will be many who make this mistake. Sadly.

Again, thank you for your answer.

For what it's worth, the installer works pretty much the same way it has for previous versions of Windows going back a long way. If you choose the upgrade option, and I presume you chose the upgrade option, it upgrades your existing version of Windows in-place. If you choose the advanced option, you can adjust your partitions, choose what partition to install to and configure dual-boot with your current Windows version. This is the way Windows releases have worked for a long time, it's the way most professionals and enthusiasts expect it to work, and it's the way it should continue to work into the future.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:42 PM
  • most of this stuff really is common sense. if you put a brand new engine in your car is the mileage going to start over??? yes. anybody who installs an OS without knowing what it does shouldn't be installing anything. if you have installed an OS before than you should know exactly what installing it DOES. if you have never installed an OS before... you should just stop and ask an adult.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:59 PM
  • i am also belong to the same category..well in my case my 3 years of research work at risk.. please help how to get back to windows 7.

Francisc what exactly u did from the previous posts to get back into windows 7..how to renamed the folders..the instructions are for vista right..

please help me.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:14 AM
  • I laugh so hard reading this and your responses to other people. I know it's hard, but maybe have more precaution next time? Try not to blame other if it's your fault. They might have their faults as well, but you should have done more research before carelessly walking into "unknown" territory.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • pls help me what should be done.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:28 AM
  • i am also belong to the same category..well in my case my 3 years of research work at risk.. please help how to get back to windows 7.

Francisc what exactly u did from the previous posts to get back into windows 7..how to renamed the folders..the instructions are for vista right..

please help me.

Check the top answer, it has the answer for you question and would help you on this
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:30 AM
  • its says for vista and not clear..i am not getting how to rename those folders for windows 7
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:31 AM
  • That worked.

What's funny is that the Windows 8 install said it was sorry that it could not install windows after booting back to Windows 7...
    You have a funny sense of humor.

pls let me know detailed what u did..thanks.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:37 AM
  • its says for vista and not clear..i am not getting how to rename those folders for windows 7

should work the same way... Just pretend you're reading Windows Developer Preview instead of Windows Vista, take this sentence as a sample:

"How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Developer Preview" 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:40 AM
  • the options are not such useful

did the same and when i click repair

the options i see are continue (exit and continue to windows developer preview)

troubleshoot

turn off

in troubleshoot

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Eh, there was this expectation that all the dowloaders would be people who were familiar with the details (and gotchas) of installing Windows. (i.e. the type of people who would want to the Build conference)

The reality is that this is an 'alpha' build, and everyone's interested. Something of a strategic oversight.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:54 AM
  • in command prompt windows.old file was unable to found.even it exists in the directory. most of the dos commands are not working.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:05 AM
  • guess i have to wait for francisc reply

at command prompt even a basic command dir resulting this

vlume in drive C is system reserved

volume serial number .........

Directory of C:\

File not found..

one more dumb question..is there any way to send pm to a user i am not able see that option.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:16 AM
  • bump.......
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hi Pavan,

You need to use D: instead of C: as C: is the system reserved partition which is hidden in My Computer drives view.

To be sure, type D: ENTER. Then dir ENTER.

If the folders you see are the ones on the C: drive you saw in Windows, you will use D: wherever that article says C:

Thankfully, the method in that article works, or at least it did for me getting back to Windows 7 from Windows 8 Developer Preview.

Becareful for:

1. Drive space - have enough. I deleted all files to do with Developer Preview from command prompt, but I don't recommend doing this unless you lack space.
    2. Move everything from Windows.old. If you had a 64 bit installation, copy the Program Files (x86) folder as well.
    3. Move the ProgramData hidden folder as well. (mind the name, ProgramData no space)

OK?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:22 PM
  • I installed Win 8 on a Lenovo X220 Tablet. Win 8 does not recognize the touch interface of this tablet (swipe does not work) and so I had to back out to Win 7. I took a system backup before installing Win 8, so I had no problem getting back to Win 7.

I guess Win 8 has a long way before it can be used on non-test environment.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:35 PM
  • HA! You obviously just clicked straight through the installer didn't you. 

See that? You clicked upgrade! "The option to upgraed is only available when an existing version of windows is running." I wonder why that is? Also, see that at the end? "We recommend backing up your files before you proceed." You obviously didn't do so.

Oh. and what is this? "Custom" did you reed this? "install a new coppy of windows.", "... option to make changes to disks and partitions ...".

And this is straight from the download page.

*Note* This was at the top of the page. NOT  "under the download buttons."

"The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment."

This all looks like a classic PEBCAK to me. Sorry that I'm being so passive aggressive but seriously. Your inability to take responsibility is worrying.

• Edited by Ad-Man-Gamer Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:17 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I think a lot of what we're running into is people thinking this is somehow a free copy of Windows 8, and then, when they don't research or analyze or read, they get upset, and somehow think the user experience has been compromised.

The important thing to remember in all of this, I think, is that this is not a user experience, this is a developer experience. Quite honestly, users need not apply, and anyone who stumbles in here and gets burned for whatever reason should either suck it up as lesson learned or fume quietly, to one's self, lest ye be mocked.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Ad-Man-Gamer,

I'm with you.  Microsoft has tried every style of Download Page I can think of, fully knowing that they will never be able to get through to some downloaders and that there will always be downloaders who will blame everyone but themselves for their haste.  This download page is very simple and uncluttered.  There is no "fine print" to miss.  And why not?  There will always be a few who don't pay attention or think they know better.  For them there is nothing Microsoft could ever say that would head them off. 

Having said that, I had a similar experience to the OP.  I loaded Windows 7 on my test box and then installed the Preview to see what options I would see.  To be fair to the OP, I did not get any opportunity to chose Upgrade or Custom and I did not get to choose a target partition or drive either.  And I was watching closely.  It is possible that the installation experience is varying capriciously.  So I believe that it is possible to be prudent and still get an unintended result like he and others described. 

Nevertheless, I did it on a test box.  I did not install on a production or primary computer.  So I don't care that I didn't get what I expected.  But then it is supposed to be buggy.  That's what software at this stage is.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:37 PM
  • I think a lot of what we're running into is people thinking this is somehow a free copy of Windows 8, and then, when they don't research or analyze or read, they get upset, and somehow think the user experience has been compromised.

The important thing to remember in all of this, I think, is that this is not a user experience, this is a developer experience. Quite honestly, users need not apply, and anyone who stumbles in here and gets burned for whatever reason should either suck it up as lesson learned or fume quietly, to one's self, lest ye be mocked.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Actually, I think they are just wanting to see it for themselves.  The problem is that they are not equipped to do previews.  But they don't have the impulse control to wait either.  They are impulse consumers. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:45 PM
  • i installed the regular dev preview(without dev tools) by installing from startup, i had those upgrade options. but then i decided to download the version with the dev tools and installed right from within windows and i did not get the upgrade or custom option. so i think you only get those options when you install from restarting the pc. also... no problems here. after a full day of messing with it and trial and error, i love it... no problems whatsoever. not sure why everyone is saying it sucks. i think everyone is just to quick to judge. spend some time with it and understand how it all works and i think your opinion on win8 will change. i hated it at first, bu now i love it. love it so much i formatted my hard drive and made it my daily driver :)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Even D drive is not accessible , dir not working for D drive even..
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:01 PM
  • i do see windows.old folder of 55 gb.. and i have 60 gb free space.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:03 PM

See that? You clicked upgrade! "The option to upgraed is only available when an existing version of windows is running." I wonder why that is? Also, see that at the end? "We recommend backing up your files before you proceed." You obviously didn't do so.

Oh. and what is this? "Custom" did you reed this? "install a new coppy of windows.", "... option to make changes to disks and partitions ...".

"The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment."

This all looks like a classic PEBCAK to me. Sorry that I'm being so passive aggressive but seriously. Your inability to take responsibility is worrying.

He obviously is not familiar with installing operating systems ! ; /

Glenn M. Keawe
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I am finding unexpected differences from the customary installation routines.  The Upgrade option is active even when installing on a computer that has no OS.  I think what this means is that the current state of the installer is set to perform a clean install regardless of what you choose.  This is consistent with the docs for the preview version.  What it did not do for me was offer a different drive.  I did not get to do a parallel installation when I installed on a computer running Win 7.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:59 PM
  • still waiting... i thought Microsoft will post a tutorial r so..
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Never happen.  As it says on the download page, the WDP is unsupported.  Meaning Microsoft is not providing support.  You have to use the forums and the existing KB articles like the one posted by InTheVault earlier in this thread.  That reply is marked as an Answer so it is easy to find.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:32 PM
  • but its not working for me..
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Exactly. I want to test development on the same machine as I work on.

Two words:  Virtual Machine!

A couple hundred bucks buys you VMware workstation 8.

-Noel

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Actually, VMWare Player 4.0 works as well as VirtualBox.  I am using the WDP on both.  The Player is bundled with the trial of Workstation 8.  I don't think it gets uninstalled when the trial is up.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:41 PM
  • now that i figured its E drive in command prompt  i am getting access denied  when i trying to move files from windows.old to the drive at command prompt..any help.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:17 AM
  • That is typical.  You need to take ownership of the windows.old file.  You are admin of the new system but the owner of the file when it was created is the old you.  Even when you use the same name and password the SID is different because the OS is different.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:12 AM
  • then whats the solution for it. Thanks for your reply.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Like I said, take ownership of the windows.old file.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:00 AM
  • thank you very much..will try and let you know.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Like I said, take ownership of the windows.old file.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

still the same problem...later i tried repeating the process for the whole C drive.. enabling sharing owernership and permission for all users and every one..still getting the same old error  Access denied.

while enabling the ownership it did shown most files access denied..dnt know why it shown like that. i simply followed each and every step from the URL... and after checking the options and clicking on apply it shown most of the files access denied.. and the same message in command prompt at recovery.

Francisc please help me.. is there any way to contact a user by pm or chat..

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hello Francisc and Pavan. I myself am in the same situation as you both were or are. I had no idea that I was upgrading my operating system. I was expecting something like run Window 8 preview on Windows 7 like how you can run IE10 preview 2 on Window 7 while using IE9.

I thought I was downloading something to test IE10 preview 3 but in a Windows preview that also have support for advanced features of the HTML5 engine in trident.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/09/13/ie10pp3.aspx

I quote,

"With the new IE10 engine included in the Windows Developer Preview, developers can work with more HTML5 technologies to build touch-friendly and beautiful interactive Web applications."

"Windows 8 includes one HTML5 browsing engine that powers two browsing experiences: the new Metro style browser and IE10 on the desktop. The common HTML5 engine provides strong support for Web standards and a consistently fast, safe, and powerful Web programming model for both browser experiences as well as for Metro style applications."

With this update, IE10 includes support for touch-friendly sites to use many new technologies:

• Rich Visual Effects: CSS Text Shadow, CSS 3D Transforms, CSS3 Transitions and Animations, CSS3 Gradient, SVG Filter Effects
    • Sophisticated Page Layouts: CSS3 for publication quality page layouts and application UI (CSS3 grid, flexbox, multi-column, positioned floats, regions, and hyphenation), HTML5 Forms, input controls, and validation
    • Enhanced Web Programming Model: Better offline applications through local storage with IndexedDB and the HTML5 Application Cache; Web Sockets, HTML5 History, Async scripts, HTML5 File APIs, HTML5 Drag-drop, HTML5 Sandboxing, Web workers, ES5 Strict mode support.

Now there it is, nothing said that this was unlike another preview that can run parallel with the main browsers and OS.

I will attempt the solution suggested by InTheVault but first I must find my windows 7 disc that came with this PC and as a side not, I have never installed an OS ever. I just have contributed to CSS style for the last four years helping with the CSS specs and creating test cases for browser implementers.

http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/search?type-index=www-style&index-type=t&keywords=gresley&search=Search

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Francisc - no disrespect meant, but what the HECK did you think you were doing??  Microsoft pointed out - repeatedly - during the build conference that this was pre-beta software, not even to the point of beta yet.  And you installed it - without first doing a full backup of your existing Windows 7 install - on your primary dev machine?!?

Really?  Do you really actually think that the fact that a developer-preview, which is aimed at software developers (who presumably know that they're being handed very early code, with no safety net) is not uninstallable back to Windows 7 - a point made on the download page - is somehow NOT your fault?

Man up, admit you made a mistake, and accept the help you were given.  It literally boggles my mind that you would do this, and then attempt to claim "it's not my fault, they should have made the warning font bigger".  The URL was only given out at the build conference and to MSDN subscribers.  I don't want sound overly mean or harsh, but maybe you should have installed it in a VM, rather than on a physical PC, if you don't have a spare laptop or extra PC around. 

Honestly, your claiming complete innocence on this is like a man who buys a gun at a sharp-shooters convention, which includes some small print about not pulling the trigger while the barrel is aimed at one's face, but who later claims the warning was too small. It's called "common sense".

With that said, I'm glad you managed to get back to Windows 7.

Technology Applied
    • Edited by Kirkaiya Friday, September 16, 2011 5:17 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:16 PM
  • instead of blaming and deviating the topic we appreciate your advise or help.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:26 PM
  • instead of blaming and deviating the topic we appreciate your advise or help.

No one is going off topic here.  The advice and help is to reload Windows 7 and move on. Use a backup if you have it. Use the knowledge base article concerning windows.old if you can. Otherwise just reinstall Windows from scratch. I'm sure you have learned your lesson and won't do this again.

The advice and help is always going to be to restore Windows from your backup made just prior to changing operating systems.  If you didn't make a backup you goofed.  It is Computing 101 to make backups, especially before a major installation.  You don't need to be a dev or anything else to know that.  If you found the link to download the WDP bits then you have the skills to back up your computer.  If you are a dev and did not keep backups of at least your work then I don't know what anyone can do for you.  With the availablility of SkyDrive there just isn't ANY excuse for not backing up your work. 

Once again, restore from whatever backup you have.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:44 PM
  • yes i learned my lesson but it cost me very much thats the problem. i am not able to figure out the access problem .
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:45 PM
  • just curious will it be any help if i backup the windows.old folder, reinstall win7 and replace the files from windows folder. Will it take care of the access problem.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I would back up the windows.old folder anyway, but you may need to make an image copy of the hard drive to do it right now.  The access issue may prevent you from just copying it.  What I suggest is that this is not a good forum for this issue.  There is a forum that is.  Assuming that you have been using your search on this problem, you may have seen this forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security?tab=all

You need to restore Windows 7 in any case, but you will still have a different SID (Security ID) and may still have an access problem.  Just because you reinstall Windows 7 and recreate the same user name and password will not make you the same user as far as the security on the windows.old file is concerned.  There is other data involved in an SID in addition to what you create.

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Friday, September 16, 2011 7:54 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:50 PM
  • you are right its not even allowing me to copy windows.old folder.. interesting. I must have to image the drive.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Like I said, go to the forum at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security?tab=all

Those folks are gurus at taking ownership of files and windows.old is one that they have dealt with a zillion times.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:52 PM
  • See this KB on restoring files from Windows.old.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912/

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:58 PM
  • I'm using a netbook 32-bit so no Windows 7 installation disk.

What now? D:

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:46 PM
  • I'm using a netbook 32-bit so no Windows 7 installation disk.

What now? D:

Purchase a recovery dvd (or the usb equivalent) from the computer's manufacturer or from a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.  Depending on the mfg., it should run between $25 and $50.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:55 PM
  • i am still waiting from forums no useful reply yet..
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:53 AM

I like how someone shows him 100% that it is his fault and none of MS he's no where to be seen. mmmm trolls
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:32 AM
  • He's not a troll.  He isn't using the forum for Evil Empire talk and such.  He was just impulsive. 

Some people never figure out that complaining and blaming solves nothing.  It is going to be a lot of work and maybe some expense and he doesn't want to do it.  Can't blame him for that.  But no one can fix his problem except him either.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:54 AM
  • For the record, the Windows Developer Preview should ONLY be installed via the "Custom Option" if you get the screen above.  Do NOT choose Upgrade.  Clean install ONLY, please (on a non-production machine, or dual booted).   

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Gentlemen, 

Could somebody please help me figure it out how do I revert original bootloader and boot into my Windows 7 environment if I created a dual boot setup (that is the new Windows 8 boot manager is used)?

My Windows Developer Preview setup runs from a VHD file. I realize that deleting this file will render my system non-bootable, correct? I so, how can I revert back to using Windows 7 boot manager when in the future I will need to remove current Windows Developer Preview?

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Insert your Windows 7 dvd in the dvd drive, start the computer, choose the repair options and repair the start up.  Alternatively, you can use your backup program to restore from the backup you made prior to installing WDP to the second partition. 

If possible limit your use of the WDP to a test computer completely separate from your production box or in a virtual machine.  If you are not set up for any of these options, do not try to test the WDP at all but wait for the RTM version of Windows 8.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Gentlemen, 

Could somebody please help me figure it out how do I revert original bootloader and boot into my Windows 7 environment if I created a dual boot setup (that is the new Windows 8 boot manager is used)?

My Windows Developer Preview setup runs from a VHD file. I realize that deleting this file will render my system non-bootable, correct? I so, how can I revert back to using Windows 7 boot manager when in the future I will need to remove current Windows Developer Preview?

Thank you.

When you are in Windows-8 boot select screen (where you select Windows-8 or Windows-7) click on "Other Options", there select default option as "Windows-7". Reboot and you will not see new boot loader anymore. (at least for me it worked like that). Now I get regular boring black screen to select windows-7 or windows-8
    • Proposed as answer by mvadu Monday, September 19, 2011 7:36 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Now I get regular boring black screen to select windows-7 or windows-8 

Thank you! And how do you get rid of remnants of Windows 8 boot entry (not the loader, entry?) I believe, something like:

• Get the entries list for the Windows 7 boot manager
    • bcdedit /v
    • Locate Windows Developer Preview entry in the output and write down the GUID.
    • Delete the entry for the GUID:
    • bcdedit /d {GUID}

Correct?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:07 AM
  • No Actually with Windows 8, I think bcdedit is finally getting an UI, you can manage default operating system, delay, add a new entry etc via that other options screen. Now I am not sure if the black bootloader screen I am getting is from Windows-7 version of bootloader or its just a different UI for Windows-8. I will check it tonight.
    Regards, Adarsha
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I myself will soon be able to dual boot, having made a clean install onto a spare hard drive. I'm impressed by how well it's working. I was aware of the warnings before installing, which is why it went on an unused hard drive, instead of "hosing" my Windows 7 Ultimate installation. So far I have been able to install a few themes and play World of Warcraft, without it hiccupping. Testing the tools and the functionality is a purpose for this preview. Although this is not yet a Beta, it's doing well. I was a tester for Windows 7...
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hi Vodor,

Totally agreed. I can't believe it's Windows! Those times when we all have been watching Stop errors on presentations are gone.

Think of it: it's not alfa, nor is it beta. It's just a publicly available test version of a product, more a concept. And it works THAT STABLE!

If that's because of Sinofsky management, he's fantastic manager!  Office 2007, Windows 7 and now Windows 6.2, looks like MSFT has completely reshaped its approach to IT. Nowadays it produces UNBELIEVABLY powerful products. Way to go!

By the way, Vodor, do you have any clue on how to MOVE the VHD from one hard drive to another without losing the ability to boot into it? I already installed the Windows Developer Preview and am now thinking of moving it to a bigger drive cause I think current free space may bury the my system down  (if my data will grow to allocate all available disk space; I have about 15 gigs left on the partition where I store the VHD now).

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:40 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:01:01 +0000, Francisc 4077 wrote:

I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview. There were no warnings during install?that it would replace my current operating system completely so well done there.

You missed the notice on the download page that there's no uninstall of the
    developer preview, and yes, the notice is most definitely on that page.

Restore from backup or reinstall.

Paul Adare
    Software:  Typically silk nighties, nylons, garter belts.  Contrast with
    hardware.

Lets get something straight 'not being able to uninstall Windows 8' is completely and entirely different to 'Windows 8 will replace your existing OS'. Having said that, are you absolutely sure your original OS has been replaced? Because it would sure look like that to the untrained eye - i thought the same thing because i created a 50 Gig partition (Z:\) and installed Win 8 to it. When in Win 8 it thinks it is on C:\ with 50 Gig available, and the Windows 7 partition does not show up. So i can see why this would cause some confusion.

Another question would be - Did you set up a partition before installing the new OS? I really hope you did

Just to note - after installing Win 8 i have tried to boot into Win 7 and the Windows Repair screen pops up saying its corrupt, i haven't bothered sorting this out yet as I've been busy testing Win 8 but i'll post again to let anyone who might be interested know whether or not it broke the original OS

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hello,

To assist with thread management we are going to lock this thread. If you would like to continue the discussion or have additional questions feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks!

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:45 AM