Lineshape

Question

• Had no problem before lineshape was accessible via toolbox, now that I have installed vb08 on another system, line shape was not present so I added to toolbox opt. an it is there but not enabled... So I download visual power pack 3.0 an 2.0 which both are worthless an dont work.... Had similar problem getting to work on vista so I added powerpacks as a prereq an fixed the problem in vista. It isntalled visual basic powerpack 1.2, an line shape worked....Problem is I no longer have the install exe that forced it to install powerpack that made lineshape present. tried googling for said powerpack only to get powerpack 2.0 an 3.0 which as stated do absolutley nothing!!!! any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• Power Packs version 3.0 shipped as a part of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - if you don't have the Service Pack installed, you would need to download and install Power Packs 3.0. Power Packs 2.0 was the first version that included the Line and Shape controls; there was never a Power Packs 1.2.

When you say "power pack 3.0 an 2.0 which both are worthless an dont work..." - what exactly doesn't work? Are you referring to it not working in the Visual Studio IDE, or is your p[roblem related to deploying an application that usess the Line control?

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the V-Bee
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Update...... I downloaded the latest version of vb08, an installed it over the top of the older version I had. which did NOT rectify the situation.....After I installed powerpacks 2.0 an 3.0 WITHOUT any luck... Out of frustration, I completely removed vb 08 from my system removed all powerpacks. Went to microsofts site an downloaded a fresh copy of vb08 & installed it.... BEHOLD able to use lineshapes WITHOUT having to download an install powerpacks......

NOTE... to anyone having similar issues save work, then remove vb08 & powerpacks, then install the latest version..... Most applications will let you install over the top of previous versions without a issue, not the case here!!

As far as the seperate installs of powerpacks I didn't install them didnt find them working or helpful at ALL....

shoagMSFT....your post on installing powerpacks not helpful at all didnt fix problem but the install vb with service pack was! Why I marked your reply as answer.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:18 PM

All replies

• To draw a line you can do it in VB.Net 2008.
    Another very easier & simple way for drawing the lines...use the following steps...

1. Drag a label to a form
    2. Make its-Borderstyle = single
    3. Make its-Autosize = False
    4. from Size property
        width=100
        Height=1 or 2....for sigle line & little thick...Same way make width=1 & Height=100 ...for vertical 7 horizontal lines....

Suppose You need thick line...
         width=100
         height=10
        backcolor=Black...

So now your line problem is easily solved...

For something more diagonal, you have to handle the Paint event and call the DrawLine method of the supplied Graphics object.

U.PARANTHAMAN
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:37 AM
  • Power Packs version 3.0 shipped as a part of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - if you don't have the Service Pack installed, you would need to download and install Power Packs 3.0. Power Packs 2.0 was the first version that included the Line and Shape controls; there was never a Power Packs 1.2.

When you say "power pack 3.0 an 2.0 which both are worthless an dont work..." - what exactly doesn't work? Are you referring to it not working in the Visual Studio IDE, or is your p[roblem related to deploying an application that usess the Line control?

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the V-Bee
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Update...... I downloaded the latest version of vb08, an installed it over the top of the older version I had. which did NOT rectify the situation.....After I installed powerpacks 2.0 an 3.0 WITHOUT any luck... Out of frustration, I completely removed vb 08 from my system removed all powerpacks. Went to microsofts site an downloaded a fresh copy of vb08 & installed it.... BEHOLD able to use lineshapes WITHOUT having to download an install powerpacks......

NOTE... to anyone having similar issues save work, then remove vb08 & powerpacks, then install the latest version..... Most applications will let you install over the top of previous versions without a issue, not the case here!!

As far as the seperate installs of powerpacks I didn't install them didnt find them working or helpful at ALL....

shoagMSFT....your post on installing powerpacks not helpful at all didnt fix problem but the install vb with service pack was! Why I marked your reply as answer.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:18 PM
  • For others missing "LineShape" in their toolbox despite having SP1 or VBPP 3.0 installed, there is no need to uninstall VS or anything drastic.  Simply do the following:

• Right click in toolbox
    • Select "Reset Toolbox"
    • Select "OK"
    • Wait...
    • "LineShape" is now present under "Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" category

Enjoy!!

-Dufus

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:34 AM