none
Looking for Business Card Scanners - Direct to Dynamics CRM

Question

• I am looking for business card scanner/ software solutions for scanning business cards directly in to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.  The only one that I have found, so far, that says they scan directly in to MS CRM, is ScanShell's  "Scan2MSCRM" solution.  This looks fine but it is pricey as it appears that the cost of $379.00 is per user. 

So, I am looking for alternatives.  Also, if you know if anyone has an enterprise solution--where the salespeople could return to the office, use a central scanner yet save to their CRM account.

Thanks in advance.

MJP

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

How about this for a solution...there is software available for mobile phones that allows you to take a photo of a business card and it recognises the details and inputs them directly into a contact on the phone. This can then be synced with Outlook and your contacts imported into CRM from Outlook?

We have users that are doing that at the moment with mobiles such as Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, iPhone and Android Phones.

HTH

David Hodgson
    Add me on Twitter and LinkedIn
    www.infinitygroup.co.uk
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi MJ Petrulo,

From the major players on the market you will find: CardScan and IRISCard. I was using CardScan and it worked perfectly. I not remember prices but I'm sure you can find online.

KG

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Hi MJP, I implemented IRIScard for one of my customers and it worked like a charm.

http://www.irislink.com/c2-1091-189/IRISCard-Corporate-4-for-Microsoft-Dynamics--accurate-business-card-scanner.aspx

It recognised lots of international address formats, scanning was about 90% accurate (not perfect, but some business card designs are terrible!), and it has a great duplicate detector which can spot contacts already in CRM and allows you to update selected fields from the card.

$349 for a scanner, the software and three user licenses. You can purchase additional scanners and user licenses as required.

IRIS also make a version specifically for East Asian scripts but unfortunately this product doesn't integrate with CRM.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Does the scanner work with ms crm 2011 online version. most of the scanners have problem with the online version

appreciate if you would shed some info on this

thanks

pearse

pf
    • Proposed as answer by Eddie Harford Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:04 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:09 PM
  • I used IRIScard with on-premise CRM because CRM Online was not available in the UK at that time. My client is still using CRM 4.0 on-premise so I'm not in a position to retest all the scanners I evaluated last year.

If you've found that "most scanners have a problem with the online version", please let us know which scanners have you tested with the Online version. They should all use the CRM web services API to integrate their software with the CRM database and CRM Online's API is backwards compatible with the CRM 4.0 web services endpoints. Although it usually takes some time for vendors to retest and verify their integrations every time a version changes, I'm surprised that most of them don't work.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:20 PM
  • I did find SCANSHELL 800NR .iT WORKS LIKE A CHARM WITH MS CRM 2011 ON LINE IN WINDOWS VISTA.It had problems with XP. bUT i THINK THAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH IDENTITY FOUNDATION FILES. NOT SURE ABOUT THAT.
    pf
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Stueve,

Is this SCANSHELL a program you can use with mobile phones: take a picture and it converts into Outlook contact?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:16 AM
  • David,

I saw your posting on this blog. Can you tell me more about which product allows your smartphone to take pictures of business cards and converts to Outlook or CRM contact?

Thanks,

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:18 AM
  • no it is not. I have to feed the business card one by one.

pf

pf
    Friday, January 13, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Hi

Apologies for the delay responding, unfortunately I cannot remember the software as it was on a Windows Mobile 6.5 handset and came pre-installed, I have since moved to an Android device and have not had any need to use a business card scanner. I am sure there are plenty of products on the marketplace of both Android and Apple. Some of my colleagues use a business card scanner on iPhone's but again I am not sure what it is, if I find out I will post.

Regards

David Hodgson
    Add me on Twitter and LinkedIn
    www.infinitygroup.co.uk
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:25 AM