none
Windows CE5.0 or Windows Mobile 5.0?

Question

• Dear All: 

I am developing a smart device application, but I have a choice of operation system either on Windows CE5.0 or Windows Mobile 5.0.  I am not sure about the difference for these two operating system from a development point of view.  I heard Windows CE have a richer set of functionalities than Windows Mobile. However, if I develop my application on .NET compact framework 2.0, what the difference these two operating systems will make for my development. Please help.

Thanks

Monday, November 27, 2006 12:09 PM

Answers

•  

Below should clarify few things for you:

• Windows CE is the embedded real-time operating system used inside small devices e.g. controllers, GPS devices etc.
    • Windows CE versions are 4.0, 4.2, .., 5.0 and upcoming 6.0 and so on
    • Windows Mobile is the operating system for phones and pocket PC. Windows Mobile OS is built over top of Windows CE and tuned for smartphones or pocket pcs as the case maybe.
    • Windows Mobile versions are PocketPC 2003, SmartPhone 2003, Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone, Windows Mobile 5.0 PocketPC
    • There is no such thing like Windows Mobile 2005 - if a device manufacturer is refering to such name than they're adding to the confusion. They're not using the official names. They might be meaning Windows Mobile 5.0 but thats an assumption.

Related Links:

Manav

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:45 PM

All replies

• this topic has been covered many times in these forums, and at least twice in the past few weeks. please try searching, and if your questions are still unanswered, post here again.
    Monday, November 27, 2006 12:41 PM
  •  

Below should clarify few things for you:

• Windows CE is the embedded real-time operating system used inside small devices e.g. controllers, GPS devices etc.
    • Windows CE versions are 4.0, 4.2, .., 5.0 and upcoming 6.0 and so on
    • Windows Mobile is the operating system for phones and pocket PC. Windows Mobile OS is built over top of Windows CE and tuned for smartphones or pocket pcs as the case maybe.
    • Windows Mobile versions are PocketPC 2003, SmartPhone 2003, Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone, Windows Mobile 5.0 PocketPC
    • There is no such thing like Windows Mobile 2005 - if a device manufacturer is refering to such name than they're adding to the confusion. They're not using the official names. They might be meaning Windows Mobile 5.0 but thats an assumption.

Related Links:

Manav

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for Replying, but when I got option to choose either windows CE 5.0 or Windows Mobile 5.0 on same Symbol barcode scanner PDA device. I am still wondering what the diffence for me to choose one of them if I am going to develop application based on .NET compact framework 2.0. What are the factors do I need to consider.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:09 PM
  • If you're not doing anything with TAPI or Windows Mobile specific objects, like the CameraCaptureDialog, just go with CE.
    Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:32 PM
  •  EddieBear wrote:

Thanks for Replying, but when I got option to choose either windows CE 5.0 or Windows Mobile 5.0 on same Symbol barcode scanner PDA device. I am still wondering what the diffence for me to choose one of them if I am going to develop application based on .NET compact framework 2.0. What are the factors do I need to consider.

Thanks

I strongly recommend that you develop for the same operating system that your symbol devices use.  If you don't you will most likely have issues with compatibility with the Symbol Libraries.

What Symbol PDA's are you using ?

Thursday, December 07, 2006 2:09 PM
  • Thanks for Replying, now company decide to use Denso windows CE 5.0 device. But I got a question regarding to Windows CE device taskbar.

I am used to writing C# application with VS2005 based on Windows Mobile 5. Now I found there is a difference between Windows CE 5.0 and Windows Mobile 5. When I create few windows forms in Windows Mobile 5, there is no multiple form tabs on the task bar, which is good for me because I do not want user to select form to control the work flow. However, for the Windows CE 5.0 device, all the active windows form tab of my application appear on the task bas and make the user can select whichever form they want to choose.

I am wondering if there is way to not allow displaying all the active windows form from my application and ideally only show one tab for the application. Will it possible?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:25 PM
  •   Manav,

Can you tell me if Mobil OS 5 can reside in a handheld terminal running CE OS 5? I am told Mobil OS 5 should be able to be "mapped" to the hardware platform, which is a PXA255CPU, and an "image" created that could reside in the terminal and be pulled in to overlay the CE OS 5, and alow the functions of Mobil OS 5 to be used?

If you know of anyone who has done this, or could do it, I would be most grateful.

Please respond to my email   dwainkinsinger@comcast.net

Thank you very much - an urgency exists with this

Friday, May 04, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Yes, U can Lock All App/... and u can put whichever App/.. u want especially in Both above said OS... Do u have further queries.., Reach me at  kiruba@barcodeindia.com

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:16 AM