none
Which USB API to develop a Mass Storage driver for Windows Mobile devices supporting USB Host?

Question

• Hi,

I need to develop a USB Mass Storage class driver.  This driver needs to run on Windows Mobile on devices that support USB Host.  The driver needs to utilise isochronous transfers.

My research tells me that WinUSB may be the preferred API but it's apparently not supported on Mobile. 
    Does anyone know if Windows Mobile platform support is coming?

I found the header files for OpenUSBDI in the Windows Mobile SDK, so I guess I can use this API but I can't find any examples or much evidence of it's use, which makes me think that it might not be suitable either.

I also found information on MSDN about the USB Host Mass Storage Client Driver but the article indicates that this is only available on CE.
    Is there an equivalent driver for Windows Mobile?

It appears that ActiveSync may have replaced some of these technologies but I haven't found evidence that it will support isochronous transfers, so I don't think I should use it.

There seems to be many USB technology "paths" but I don't know which to head down.
    Can anyone offer any advice? ....point me to some doc or example code?

Cheers,
    Patrick.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:12 AM

Answers

• Windows CE 5.0 mass storage driver should be compatible with Windows Mobile. Minor API changes might have been introduced so this driver needs to be built against WM Platform Builder. Bad news is that only device ODM will have access to that.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:27 AM

All replies

• Do you have a USB enabled windows mobile device ???

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Not yet, but I intend to support all devices that are USB Host enabled. 
    Currently, I'm using the Windows Mobile 5 & 6 emulation.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Windows CE 5.0 mass storage driver should be compatible with Windows Mobile. Minor API changes might have been introduced so this driver needs to be built against WM Platform Builder. Bad news is that only device ODM will have access to that.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:27 AM