Missing references: CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.CommLayer

Question

• I have recently added a Crystal Report to my project, and now I am having a hard time getting fxcop to find the references.

I am receiving the following messages:

Missing references were ignored for X. Results might be compromised or incomplete.

and

Could not resolve reference to X

for the following assemblies:

CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.CommLayer

CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc

CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel

CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers

I have tried using the /d: parameter with fxcop to point out the assemblies location in the GAC, however that does not seem to be working. Ultimately it would be nice to get this issue corrected, however at this point I would be happy with an option to always ignore for those assemblies.

Here is a copy of the script that I am using to launch FxCop:

Code Snippet

@ECHO OFF
    REM Command Line Parameters
    REM %1 - $(SolutionDir)
    REM %2 - $(TargetPath)
    REM %3 - $(TargetName)
    ECHO Running FxCop on %2...
    ECHO.
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft FxCop 1.35\FxCopCmd.exe" /c /d:"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\Managed" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.CommLayer\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /d:"C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework\10.2.3600.0__692fbea5521e1304" /p:"%1%3".fxcop /o:"%1%3".xsl /s /u

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:47 PM

Answers

• The command-line looks fine. Can you try turning search gac on in the project file (I believe we had a bug in 1.35 that prevented /searchgac from working if a project file was passed)?

You can turn it on via Project -> Options -> Spelling & Analysis -> Search Global Assembly Cache for missing references.

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

•  

Try passing the /searchgac switch, this will automatically pull missing references from the GAC.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:18 PM
  •  

I have tried passing the /searchgac switch with no luck. I am still getting:

Not all assembly references could be resolved. Results might be compromised or incomplete.

Missing dependency 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.CommLayer, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be located. This module was referenced by: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

Missing dependency 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be located. This module was referenced by: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

Missing dependency 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be located. This module was referenced by: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

Missing dependency 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be located. This module was referenced by: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

Thanks.

Jeff

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:09 PM
  • The command-line looks fine. Can you try turning search gac on in the project file (I believe we had a bug in 1.35 that prevented /searchgac from working if a project file was passed)?

You can turn it on via Project -> Options -> Spelling & Analysis -> Search Global Assembly Cache for missing references.

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  

Thank you David.

That solved my problem.

Jeff

Saturday, September 29, 2007 3:41 PM
  • I am having a similiar problem.  In this case it is a FILE based ASP.NET (VS 2005) site that becomes an MSI.  Generation and install is fine but during run it gives this error.  How can this dependency be included in the MSI?  What is the dll that contains this reference so it can be part of the build and it does not cause issue on box it is installed on?

Please advice.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Found the solution by including Crystal Reports Merge Module in the MSI.  More info at the following link.

http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/cr_net_2005_mergemodules_mlb_x86.zip.asp

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:55 AM
  • This link was extremely useful.

I was trying hard for 2 days and then finally I did a search for the crystaldecisions.reportappserver.dll and found this link.

I added it to the merge modules and then to the setup project (select the setup project - > add-> merge module-> and then select this extracted .msm file) and rebuild it again.

(The actual error which was displayed was showing me that I was having a problem with crystaldecisions.engine.reportdocument where as the error was with crystaldecisions.reportappserver).

Microsoft should provide the facility of adding this .dll through add->reference.

the other 4 crystaldecisions.engine,crystaldecisions.reportsource,crystaldecisions.shared and crystaldecisions.windows.forms dlls were all there but crystaldecisions.reportappserver was missing in the references section.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:39 PM
  • If you include statement

imports crystaldecisions.reportappserver in the form you are displaying the crystal report, then it should work fine.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:41 PM